Tacky Central?

helpthejuggler

In our collective (not so) humble opinions,

What are the tackiest, most cringe-worthy activity or event on a cruise ship that you wonder if you are on the right ship?

For me I can't decide between

the Belly Flop contest which I have not witnessed but hear attract a big crowd.

In the last night theatre when crew gather (OK so far), but then sing the company song (cue: me running out the door).

I am on the fence about....

Line Dancing

Waiters Singing in the dining room

Hey Juggler -

You said that you don't attend the events that you feel are tacky. Nor do I. But isn't that the point? When we were in Turkey, I didn't want to see the rug factory - but I did want to see the ruins at Ephesus. Likewise, when you are on a cruise, there are thousands of people with differing tastes and opinions. If you don't like the belly flop contest, there are plenty of other activities on board! Just enjoy what you love, and let others who are different, enjoy whatever floats their boat, so to speak :)

In our collective (not so) humble opinions,

What are the tackiest, most cringe-worthy activity or event on a cruise ship that you wonder if you are on the right ship?

For me I can't decide between

the Belly Flop contest which I have not witnessed but hear attract a big crowd.

In the last night theatre when crew gather (OK so far), but then sing the company song (cue: me running out the door).

I am on the fence about....

Line Dancing

Waiters Singing in the dining room

If you don't like all the fun stuff you mentioned I think that you should try HAL. I'm going to try them in about 25 years as well;)

If you don't like all the fun stuff you mentioned I think that you should try HAL. I'm going to try them in about 25 years as well;)

HAL has a dinner with waiters doing a line dance around the dining room, singing as they go. So, since OP is"on the fence" about singing waiters, HAL might also be out.

Rather than skipping a cruise line, folks should just skip the activities not liked.

They are always listed ahead of time in ship's newsletter.

HAL has a dinner with waiters doing a line dance around the dining room, singing as they go. So, since OP is"on the fence" about singing waiters, HAL might also be out.

Rather than skipping a cruise line, folks should just skip the activities not liked.

They are always listed ahead of time in ship's newsletter.

Would skipping dinner in the MDR be the option that you would suggest if you dont like dancing waiters and you sail HAL?

SO tacky and debasing, in my opinion. One of the reasons I avoid the MDR.

I don't like the belly flop or men's sexy legs contest either, but passengers can choose to compete in those. I suspect the waitstaff does not have a choice in their sing, dancing and napkin waving.

I'm no fan of the waiters' parade, but I suppose it gives the diners an opportunity to express appreciation to the staff. What I find really tacky are those passenger participation games - Newly Wed, say where the MC tries to get participants to embarrass them selves by answering double entendre (and some blunt) questions; and the scavenger hunts where people are asked to race to the stage with their underwear, etc.

Would skipping dinner in the MDR be the option that you would suggest if you dont like dancing waiters and you sail HAL?

To avoid the singing and dancing waiters--

Have Anytime Dining and know when the show begins. Usually we are successful.

men's sexy legs contest

Jeepers - when will the fun ever start?

But since I have very good legs so just maybe I should overlook some tack for personal gain. You'll be telling me they have hairy chest and knobbly knees next.

But since I have very knobbly knees....

-hairy chest contests

-belly flop competitions

-singing/dancing waiters

-selling anything in the theater prior to the evenings entertainment

-karaoke

-guests as the evening entertainment

-PA announcements reminding me its time for any of the above

We love to have fun on vacation, but none of these things are my idea of fun.

Any entertainment where a reluctant audience member is forced onto the stage, and remains there, shy and blushing, whilst silly innuendos are made about him/her. I once watched such a show on board, where the reluctant performer, an elderly gent, was so embarrassed about the whole event that the mature audience fell quiet.

I am really glad I don't have to walk around with my nose stuck in the air. I would worry I might drown. If you don't like something about a cruise line or "feel it's tacky" don't book it!!!! BAD NEWS YOUR CRAP DOES STINK.

No Need guessing how you came up with your cc name. ;)

By booking suites it's easy enough to avoid all of the tacky things that some cruise lines offer. Also when you do book such cruises you have money left over for European vacations.

Air fresheners in the cabin are a must on any line. That's just good manners in case your cabin steward goes in right after you go.;)

I am really glad I don't have to walk around with my nose stuck in the air. I would worry I might drown. If you don't like something about a cruise line or "feel it's tacky" don't book it!!!! BAD NEWS YOUR CRAP DOES STINK.

Uummm,ok, not sure what set you off. The OP asked a question and people are answering it.

For me it is the ''adult comics'' not to say that something dirty is never funny but it is rare that it is . I have never gone to these shows and never would(it is classless I.M.H.O) but I know many find them funny. I mean in this day and age if you can't get enough foul mouth stuff on T.V. or radio you are just not trying.

Archived