HAL and Delayed Luggage

syesmar

Hi,

After having our luggage delayed before checking in to our recent cruise aboard the ms Eurodam, I thought it might be helpful to list how HAL offered to assist us and others in this predicament.

They offered to provide:

Complimentary Laundry while the luggage was missing

Complimentary rental of Formal Wear

Complimentary borrowing of used clothes for daily wear

Complimentary phone calls to airlines and our insurance company, etc.

Waiver of requirement to adhere to the dress code in the Dining Room

Complimentary Amenity Kit [zip bag with HAL logo containing: .5 oz deodorant, 2 oz. shave foam, disposable razor, toothbrush, travel mouthwash, travel brush with mirror, hair comb, emory board, .25 oz pak of woolite, & a couple of Q-tips & cotton balls (these 2 items can also be found in the changing rooms of the Spa & Salon). Because the toothpaste had expired, it was not included in the kit]

There wasn’t a formal list of these services given to passengers with delayed luggage upon check-in (which tends to be the most stressful time), although a letter was sent the next day about the laundry and waiver of dress code. The assistance might vary from ship-to-ship or year-to-year, but this was my experience in July 2013.

I would advise anyone planning to travel to take the telephone numbers of the airlines and their various departments (including country codes) with you. I would also advise to know your rights in advance [e.g., we were told at the airport that the airline would reimburse us for expenses of 70 Euros per person, but that it might be more because we flew business class. When I later called the airline to ask if that was per trip or per day, they said it was actually 44 Euros per day, or equal to $50 USD per day (but “per day” is a little misleading, as they average it---you can spend more or less one day---they take the total and average it over the number of days). My claim is still awaiting settlement, so we’ll see]. When the only shop you have access to is on a cruise ship, the expenses can add up. We nearly bought toiletry items onboard—which were quite expensive---until a fellow passenger told us about the complimentary amenity kit.

So I thought I would post this as a resource for others to have. Hopefully you will never need it, but I know it would have taken a bit of stress off me if I had been better informed.

HAPPY TRAVELS!

Very sorry you had to experience lack of luggage on your cruise. I would so hate that and would not be a good 'roll with it' person.

How many days was it until you and your luggage were reunited?

Thank you for sharing this info. Hope you cruise was great,,,,,, otherwise.

Hi,

After having our luggage delayed before checking in to our recent cruise aboard the ms Eurodam, I thought it might be helpful to list how HAL offered to assist us and others in this predicament.

They offered to provide:

Complimentary Laundry while the luggage was missing

Complimentary rental of Formal Wear

Complimentary borrowing of used clothes for daily wear

Complimentary phone calls to airlines and our insurance company, etc.

Waiver of requirement to adhere to the dress code in the Dining Room

Complimentary Amenity Kit [zip bag with HAL logo containing: .5 oz deodorant, 2 oz. shave foam, disposable razor, toothbrush, travel mouthwash, travel brush with mirror, hair comb, emory board, .25 oz pak of woolite, & a couple of Q-tips & cotton balls (these 2 items can also be found in the changing rooms of the Spa & Salon). Because the toothpaste had expired, it was not included in the kit]

There wasn’t a formal list of these services given to passengers with delayed luggage upon check-in (which tends to be the most stressful time), although a letter was sent the next day about the laundry and waiver of dress code. The assistance might vary from ship-to-ship or year-to-year, but this was my experience in July 2013.

I would advise anyone planning to travel to take the telephone numbers of the airlines and their various departments (including country codes) with you. I would also advise to know your rights in advance [e.g., we were told at the airport that the airline would reimburse us for expenses of 70 Euros per person, but that it might be more because we flew business class. When I later called the airline to ask if that was per trip or per day, they said it was actually 44 Euros per day, or equal to $50 USD per day (but “per day” is a little misleading, as they average it---you can spend more or less one day---they take the total and average it over the number of days). My claim is still awaiting settlement, so we’ll see]. When the only shop you have access to is on a cruise ship, the expenses can add up. We nearly bought toiletry items onboard—which were quite expensive---until a fellow passenger told us about the complimentary amenity kit.

So I thought I would post this as a resource for others to have. Hopefully you will never need it, but I know it would have taken a bit of stress off me if I had been better informed.

HAPPY TRAVELS!

Were you on the Fjords,Highlands and Ireland cruise in July on the Eurodam?

We met a Lovely couple from Florida that this happened to and spoke on many occasions about the lost luggage.........

Hi!

To answer your questions,

No, we did not book our flights through HAL. Our cruise was booked through our travel agent and our airfare was purchased with frequent flyer miles. Yet, HAL was very gracious and offered this assistance to each passenger affected. I agree that the representatives at the Front Office are wonderful, and really did their best to assist us. Thankfully, we received our luggage when we returned from our first day out in port (the 3rd evening of the cruise).

Yes, I was on the Fjords, Highlands & Ireland cruise and the previous Baltic cruise (22 Day Collector's Voyage), but I'm not from FL. In fact, there was an entire busload of passengers on the Baltic 12-day portion that were in our same situation. The Front Office rep also told me that the previous cruise there were 50 passengers that had this experience, as well! There tended to be a peak of instances this summer for flights arriving to CPH airport. We arrived the day-of because our cruise was lengthy, but we will not be doing that again!:) We had the most wonderful time anyway!

Thanks for your kind words!

Hi!

To answer your questions,

No, we did not book our flights through HAL. Our cruise was booked through our travel agent and our airfare was purchased with frequent flyer miles. Yet, HAL was very gracious and offered this assistance to each passenger affected. I agree that the representatives at the Front Office are wonderful, and really did their best to assist us. Thankfully, we received our luggage when we returned from our first day out in port (the 3rd evening of the cruise).

Yes, I was on the Fjords, Highlands & Ireland cruise and the previous Baltic cruise (22 Day Collector's Voyage), but I'm not from FL. In fact, there was an entire busload of passengers on the Baltic 12-day portion that were in our same situation. The Front Office rep also told me that the previous cruise there were 50 passengers that had this experience, as well! There tended to be a peak of instances this summer for flights arriving to CPH airport. We arrived the day-of because our cruise was lengthy, but we will not be doing that again!:) We had the most wonderful time anyway!

Thanks for your kind words!

I'm glad that you didn't let the luggage issue ruin an otherwise wonderful cruise. Your comments echo what the Florida couple told us and they looked wonderful on formal night in their HAL supplied clothes.

Thanks for taking the time to tell us how HAL tried to make the best of a bad situation.

Archived