First time poster, first time cruiser

Aegis1984

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening everyone! I'd just like to introduce myself to the forum. I'm a single 28 year old, and I will be taking my first cruise ever in September. I will be accompanying my parents on a 7 day Inside passage cruise on HAL's Zuiderdam, leaving Vancouver on September 7th.

I've lived in Whitehorse for a year so I know what to expect weatherwise, and I'm planning on bringing my SLR with a couple lenses and a ton of memory cards. Beyond that, I'm not sure if there is anything else anyone could recommend.

I'm also born and raised in beautiful British Columbia so I would be more than happy to offer any insight people may need, whether it be about Vancouver or the interior.

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening everyone! I'd just like to introduce myself to the forum. I'm a single 28 year old, and I will be taking my first cruise ever in September. I will be accompanying my parents on a 7 day Inside passage cruise on HAL's Zuiderdam, leaving Vancouver on September 7th.

I've lived in Whitehorse for a year so I know what to expect weatherwise, and I'm planning on bringing my SLR with a couple lenses and a ton of memory cards. Beyond that, I'm not sure if there is anything else anyone could recommend.

I'm also born and raised in beautiful British Columbia so I would be more than happy to offer any insight people may need, whether it be about Vancouver or the interior.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Aegis1984. There is a small roll call here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1806587

a chance to chat with others on your cruise.

You might try posting on the Holland America Line boards at well here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

You might use your insight on British Columbia by posting here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226

Jonathan

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have sailed on the Zuiderdam -- very nice ship.

Don't forget to try the Pinnacle Grill one evening for dinner -- $25 per person -- but well worth.

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises.

Don't forget to take binoculars with you.

I will try to find a good set. Any recommendation on magnification? In the meantime, I'm definitely bringing my Canon 7D, 70-200 f2.8L and 15-85 lenses. When I lived in Whitehorse, I went to Skagway a couple times and I'm looking forward to that day the most.

I take my netbook when we cruise so I can download my pics every night - then I back them up on a portable hard drive. Can you tell I don't necessarily trust memory cards?

I'm planning on taking mine too for backup purposes, though I've got a feeling I'm going to have to invest in a CF card reader if I can't find my camera's USB cable.

I own a total of 3 SD cards, 2 16's which stay in the camera and an 8...which last time I saw it i think it was in my camera bad someplace.:rolleyes:

I just down load to the laptop everynight and be done with it. (I shoot raw and upload everything to lightroom).

I also own one battery and just bring the charger.:eek: Never had an issue of running out of juice either.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have sailed on the Zuiderdam -- very nice ship.

Don't forget to try the Pinnacle Grill one evening for dinner -- $25 per person -- but well worth.

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises.

Don't forget to take binoculars with you.

Do ask Krazy Krizers any questions you may have.

KK has been on tons of HAL cruises and to Alaska a bunch of times.

Also, she is extremely good about recommending things to do in ports when you tell her the sort of things you like.

My granddaughter is still very grateful to KK for helping her out on her HAL cruise.

LuLu

~~~~

Please post picks for us! We would love to see your fun!

Please post picks for us! We would love to see your fun!

I plan to! I am an advanced amateur DSLR photographer with great equipment and a pretty darn good eye for shots. I'm just disappointed at the moment though. I'm going for this cruise with my folks, then heading back home to get back to work. Meanwhile, a week after, they are taking off on the Volendam off to Sydney! The perks of being retired, eh? There's nothing I would love more than to take a photography trip in Australia, go to Wilson's Prom, do the Great Ocean road and wander around Sydney and Melbourne and Warnembool/Leongatha where my family lives.

It doesn't help that my father's brothers and sisters have been pressuring him to visit, given they are all getting on in years and sadly, a few have passed since we were last downunda.

Is there any real perk to inquiring about future cruises on board? At this point, I do not have any mariner status accrued but if I like this, I'm sure I would take the inside passage again, perhaps in an aft suite if finances allow, though I am also looking on an Antarctic cruise with Quark in Feb 2016 as well.

I plan to! I am an advanced amateur DSLR photographer with great equipment and a pretty darn good eye for shots. I'm just disappointed at the moment though. I'm going for this cruise with my folks, then heading back home to get back to work. Meanwhile, a week after, they are taking off on the Volendam off to Sydney! The perks of being retired, eh? There's nothing I would love more than to take a photography trip in Australia, go to Wilson's Prom, do the Great Ocean road and wander around Sydney and Melbourne and Warnembool/Leongatha where my family lives.

It doesn't help that my father's brothers and sisters have been pressuring him to visit, given they are all getting on in years and sadly, a few have passed since we were last downunda.

Is there any real perk to inquiring about future cruises on board? At this point, I do not have any mariner status accrued but if I like this, I'm sure I would take the inside passage again, perhaps in an aft suite if finances allow, though I am also looking on an Antarctic cruise with Quark in Feb 2016 as well.

Some cruise lines do give a discount if you book on board.

Others allow you to put down a deposit on either a specific cruise or just an open booking. In addition to the low deposit (usually $100), you get some on board credit when you take the cruise.

I will try to find a good set. Any recommendation on magnification? In the meantime, I'm definitely bringing my Canon 7D, 70-200 f2.8L and 15-85 lenses. When I lived in Whitehorse, I went to Skagway a couple times and I'm looking forward to that day the most.

We have taken the Skagway White Pass Yukon Railroad in May (2013) and in September (2011). The early Skagway mornings in September have the train route in the low-hanging clouds which gives all of your photographs an ethereal mood. You will pass an abandoned, wooden, bridge that seems to disappear into the mist. Even without the mist, it makes for a great photograph.

Sit on the left side of the train to take pictures from your seat but a better photographic spot is on the platform between the cars. Outside photographs will not have the potential glare from the train windows.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=447

I take a laptop and portable hard drive to backup everything, every evening.

My website (above) also has the menus and daily activities for your cruise.

May you have sufficient light to see, the eye to compose, the perseverance to keep pressing the shutter release, and the willingness to retain only your best.

Enjoy your cruise and the many hours of image sorting when you return home.

Archived