Help with Alaska TV shows

Marylandteachergirl

I know there have been several tv shows about Alaska mentioned - but am wondering if all of you knowledgable CC'ers could help me compile a list. I would like to start DVRing some Alaska shows - but need help on which ones to search for. Thank you so much!

The two I know:

Alaska State Troopers

Buying Alaska

There are many people in Alaska who believe to this day that Northern Exposure was written about a member of our family as at least the first few episodes ring very true for us.

Be very careful about the trend for reality tv shows based in Alaska as each is competing with the others for more audience and the story lines are often down right fake.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Thank you Penny Again,

I actually just view them as ways to observe the beautiful scenery. I am aware that many of the reality shows are not truly "real". We spent several months in the Oregon area where they filmed Axemen. It was not very realistic at all.:confused:

That's very neat about Northern Exposure and your family!!!

We lived in Texas for three years and miss it every day. You are so lucky to be there.

Thank you Penny Again,

I actually just view them as ways to observe the beautiful scenery. I am aware that many of the reality shows are not truly "real". We spent several months in the Oregon area where they filmed Axemen. It was not very realistic at all.:confused:

That's very neat about Northern Exposure and your family!!!

We lived in Texas for three years and miss it every day. You are so lucky to be there.

I came to Texas to earn a decent living and have done so for a very long time. Today it is HOT, DRY and everything is beige.

Texas has been very, very good to us but I do enjoy January more than August.

When Northern Exposure was new one of our family members was nearly dying of embarrassment as there was a character who not only looked like this relative but sounded much the same. It's funny if it is someone else!

Yes, I do watch some Alaska programs for the scenery.

Then there are the outhouse jokes.

I believe it was Nat Geo that has done some documentary's on AK in the past few months - I saw one just the other night on the steamships that plied the Yukon river between Bennett and Dawson. They also touched on a man and wife team who hauled a small steam boat (in pieces) over the Chilkoot Pass and built it in Bennett.

I live in the area where AxMen was filmed (when they did film in Oregon) and do not understand how someone could say it is fake. Most of the filming (and the logging) takes place several miles away from any major road - also being here in the summer is way different than in winter when they film.

Also most people know that Northern Exposure was filmed in Washington State and not Alaska.

I like "Alaska - the Last Frontier" about the Kilcher family homesteading in Homer (BTW - the daughter, who is never mentioned on the show, is the singer "Jewel"). As a point of interest, we spent a week in Homer this past June, and the Kilcher Homestead was about 7 miles off East End Road from the home we rented for a week. Was hoping to see Otto and Charlotte, or Atz, but no luck.:o We also watch "Gold Rush", used to watch "Flying Wild Alaska" about the family that owns/runs ERA airlines (but it is no longer airing). We enjoy "Yukon Men" too, and I personally like "Wild West Alaska" about a gunshop in AK - its funny and definitely scripted, no matter what they say, but it is mindless entertainment and I've grown quite fond of some of the characters.

I set my TiVo w/the keyword "Alaska" so anything to do w/Alaska gets recorded for me. Always fun to see what is out there, and we too enjoy seeing all the beautiful scenery.

My favorite show is on PBS a few times a year ... " Dick Proenneke, Alone in the Wilderness'. Fascinating show.

For a series I like "Flying Wild Alaska". I really enjoy the scenery of Alaska as seen from a small plane. Plus there are interesting story lines about people who live in very remote locations.

p.s. (the opening scenes for Northern Exposure and all the buildings used are in Roslyn, WA. )

Mapleleaves - we too are HUGE fans of Dick Proenekke, and as such, we went on a flightseeing trip to his cabin while we were in Homer this year. OMG - it was amazing!! Went with Steller Air out of Homer, two hours on the ground at the cabin - well worth the cost, and the scenery on the flight over and back was spectacular! As we landed on Twin Lakes, we were surprised to see a woman was hurrying along the shoreline to meet us. Turns out that she and her husband are summer volunteers, and actually live in Spike's cabin while they act as docents' for Dick's cabin. The best part is that she and her husband actually knew Dick and were friends with him, so we felt like we had a personal glimpse into the great man's life. To sit in Dicks chair where he'd write in his journal, looking out of the lake was just a thrill - gave me chills! My DH took his fishing rod/license along, and just had to cast a few times in Hope Creek looking to catch some grayling, just like Dick;). The visit to Twin lakes and Dick's cabin was our biggest thrill on this last trip, and we'd do it again in the heartbeat next time we head back to Homer.

Mapleleaves you beat me to Alone in the Wilderness is the greatest documentary of all time .We live on the border of three states and so have many P.B.S. stations it is on all the time and I never miss it (drives D.W. crazy ) which makes me enjoy it all the more.

Mapleleaves - we too are HUGE fans of Dick Proenekke, and as such, we went on a flightseeing trip to his cabin while we were in Homer this year. OMG - it was amazing!! Went with Steller Air out of Homer, two hours on the ground at the cabin - well worth the cost, and the scenery on the flight over and back was spectacular! As we landed on Twin Lakes, we were surprised to see a woman was hurrying along the shoreline to meet us. Turns out that she and her husband are summer volunteers, and actually live in Spike's cabin while they act as docents' for Dick's cabin. The best part is that she and her husband actually knew Dick and were friends with him, so we felt like we had a personal glimpse into the great man's life. To sit in Dicks chair where he'd write in his journal, looking out of the lake was just a thrill - gave me chills! My DH took his fishing rod/license along, and just had to cast a few times in Hope Creek looking to catch some grayling, just like Dick;). The visit to Twin lakes and Dick's cabin was our biggest thrill on this last trip, and we'd do it again in the heartbeat next time we head back to Homer.

You are so lucky ,I have been to Alaska twice but would love to go back and see dicks cabin it is funny but if you watch this show enough you feel like you know him .I would love to fish hope creek and catch trout an d ''Leave the entrails for the birds''.

I believe it was Nat Geo that has done some documentary's on AK in the past few months - I saw one just the other night on the steamships that plied the Yukon river between Bennett and Dawson. They also touched on a man and wife team who hauled a small steam boat (in pieces) over the Chilkoot Pass and built it in Bennett.

I live in the area where AxMen was filmed (when they did film in Oregon) and do not understand how someone could say it is fake. Most of the filming (and the logging) takes place several miles away from any major road - also being here in the summer is way different than in winter when they film.

Also most people know that Northern Exposure was filmed in Washington State and not Alaska.

I spent 25 years in the Sierra Nevada Mts. where logging is a way of life. I am well aware what that looks like. I said that many reality shows are not real. There is indeed some "acting" in the shows. This includes Pawn Stars, Survivor, even Biggest Loser uses more time lapses than a real 7 day week. I also know all of Northern Exposure was not filmed in AK. The loosely based premise is that it was based on Talkeeta. No more.

Now and then the production folks from Northern Exposure went up to Alaska to film some scenery. Also used was some stock film of Alaska.

Our family member now is much older and the character on the show is just the same.

Teasing still goes on.

Some of us feel that Northern Exposure was based on the Village of Hope on Turnagain Arm, but that's for another discussion.

The production teams that come to Alaska hire a lot of folks if only for the heavy labor, toting and carrying stuff. There have been several casting calls in Alaska recently, genuine looking folks needed. Day's wages and meals.

I'm now old enough to be considered a real character and will see what's going on next trip north.

Maybe you can be the next big star!!!!

A few productions came to our small N California town...exact same thing. They hired locals for the physical labor, them packed up and left. Somewhat of a mixed blessing I suppose.

Ah, controversy over the "real" Northern Exposure? I suppose it could even be a melding of several towns? Still, fun to guess?

Thank you! I have seen all the Northern Exposure episodes. I am looking for more non-fiction. I think there are some animal shows, too. I saw the list on wikipedia, but it's not the most up-to-date.

I will check out the links - thank you again!

Every reality show on TV is totally fictitious. Do you really believe that they are not scripted in advance and that every one that claims to be a "lost in the wild" type of show does not have an emergency crew or emergency contact equipment with the "star". After all, it would not be good for the ratings (or maybe it would be) if someone died on the show.

DON

Yes, DON, that was exactly my point. If, for nothing else, ratings. Of course production companies will protect themselves legally ( and hopefully, the "actors".) Hence the reason I stated - I am really just using them to look at scenery. I have already viewed all of the ones from our local library.

I know there have been several tv shows about Alaska mentioned - but am wondering if all of you knowledgable CC'ers could help me compile a list. I would like to start DVRing some Alaska shows - but need help on which ones to search for. Thank you so much!

My kids and I really enjoy Coast Guard Alaska.

Another would be Deadliest Catch

Sometimes there's a show called "Buying Alaska" on -- it's like "House Hunters", but specific to Alaska. I like seeing the properties and hearing about the challenges/adjustments folks from the lower 48 encounter.

Every reality show on TV is totally fictitious. Do you really believe that they are not scripted in advance and that every one that claims to be a "lost in the wild" type of show does not have an emergency crew or emergency contact equipment with the "star". After all, it would not be good for the ratings (or maybe it would be) if someone died on the show.

DON

Exactly. When I was up there earlier this summer, we asked locals how embelished those shows were and they told us they couldn't be further from the truth. Surviving Alaska? That family has plenty of money (even before the show) and lives 15 minutes from the local Safeway grocery store. They just want to get rich this way instead of working like everyone else. Deadliest Catch has much of the scenes and drama recorded in port well before fishing season ever starts. It's entertainment, but not real at all.

There are many people in Alaska who believe to this day that Northern Exposure was written about a member of our family as at least the first few episodes ring very true for us.

Be very careful about the trend for reality tv shows based in Alaska as each is competing with the others for more audience and the story lines are often down right fake.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Northern Exposure was shot in Roslyn, WA, just off I90.

Archived