MDR Table For 2: Select or Assigned?

lopat08865

We're booked table for 2 Select Dining on Constellation. However, as I'll explain, we're thinking we might like switching to Assigned?

I understand Assigned is [primarily?] seated on the 1st floor of the dining room, while Select is [primarily?] seated on the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor has less tables than the 1st, since it's open in the middle, and we're really concerned about getting an out of the way table on the 2nd floor. I believe the attached [i hope!] photo shows somewhere on the 2nd floor we wouldn't want to be seated at.

I'm thinking there's more of a chance of being seated at a table that's "in the middle of things" on the 1st [presumably Assigned Dining] floor. That's where we've always sat, and we enjoy being among other tables and seeing all the activity and people dining around us.

If we're able to switch, do you think it increases our chances of getting a table location we'd prefer? Have you ever been or seen 2 people seated at a table for 4 [since I am assuming there are not many tables for 2 on the main dining floor]?

Thanks in advance!

PS: On one of Carnival cruises we were able, thanks to this CC site, to email the maitre'd with our request. He said he'd try and we were pleasantly surprised to find we were seated just as we requested. Has anyone tried this on Celebrity and does anyone have his email? Thanks!

1509356809_CelebrityConstellationtablesfor2jpg.jpg.752cd336e56fb5ceb6bbf55ce4dc7738.jpg

Have never seen two people assigned to a table for four.

There is no option for e-mailing a MaitreD on Celebrity

If you want to be "in the middle of things" you need to book Traditional Dining. But there are few, if any, tables for two in the center section. So you'll be assigned to a larger table, for 4, 6 or 8

All the Select Dining tables are on the second floor. It is possible they would seat you at an out of the way table, but you can always tell the Headwaiter at the entrance to the Select area that you do not want to be off in a corner.

FWIW, my husband always request a table for two (assigned seating) and several times have been seated at a table for four. They have been in varying locations (upstairs, downstairs, on the side, once was nearly next to the Captain's table). We have yet to figure out a pattern. :)

A twosome can go at any time during the evening and get a table for two right away. This is because they can "turn over" the 2-tops three times in an evening instead of just twice. It takes longer to serve the larger tables and there is more waiting. Service on the two-tops takes at most an hour and a half from appetizers through dessert. For me, this is much more important than table location, which will vary night to night. I like the MDR food on Celebrity, but do not need 2+ hours to enjoy it.

We do anytime, table for two, and never have had a wait or problem with getting the table for two. The tables are usually around the window area which is actually nicer, especially if you enjoy the sunsets. Enjoy your cruise.

I believe the attached [i hope!] photo shows somewhere on the 2nd floor we wouldn't want to be seated at.

You're right about that being a horrible place to sit. We took it when it was offered because we enjoy people watching and thought it would be great. It was noisy and had less privacy than the crowded tables further back. Everyone who walked by had to take a look at our food. I was very uncomfortable. Add that to the fact that we were sailing across the north Pacific and the wind screamed though the area whenever the door was opened and it was pretty miserable.

We always request and receive a table for two. However, on our last cruise, we were seated alone at a table for four. We think our waiter felt sorry for us as he kept commenting on "Our friends not showing up", and "were we lonely?" So sweet of him to be concerned, but I began to feel a little self-conscious after awhile, and hoped he didn't find someone else to come sit with us :>)

We're booked table for 2 Select Dining on Constellation. However, as I'll explain, we're thinking we might like switching to Assigned?

I understand Assigned is [primarily?] seated on the 1st floor of the dining room, while Select is [primarily?] seated on the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor has less tables than the 1st, since it's open in the middle, and we're really concerned about getting an out of the way table on the 2nd floor. I believe the attached [i hope!] photo shows somewhere on the 2nd floor we wouldn't want to be seated at.

I'm thinking there's more of a chance of being seated at a table that's "in the middle of things" on the 1st [presumably Assigned Dining] floor. That's where we've always sat, and we enjoy being among other tables and seeing all the activity and people dining around us.

If we're able to switch, do you think it increases our chances of getting a table location we'd prefer? Have you ever been or seen 2 people seated at a table for 4 [since I am assuming there are not many tables for 2 on the main dining floor]?

Thanks in advance!

PS: On one of Carnival cruises we were able, thanks to this CC site, to email the maitre'd with our request. He said he'd try and we were pleasantly surprised to find we were seated just as we requested. Has anyone tried this on Celebrity and does anyone have his email? Thanks!

your travel agent can put this request in your file when you switch to traditional dining. we always get a table for two, and occasionally it is really a table for four, which is quite nice.

We had a assigned table for 2 on the Connie in March. Great waiters, great service. However, the location was real bad. Right next to the entrance to a waiter station.

It seemed that maybe they squeezed this extra table in there because the ship was so full.

Thanks everyone for such thoughtful responses! Still not sure what we'll decide, but I'd love to hear more experiences of CC members who've been there/done that!

Right now we're leaning towards switching to Traditional, since it seems Celebrity does honor a request for a table for 2? The flip side is it seems Select allows you to pass on a table not to your liking, which I'm not sure you could do with a Traditional assignment. Which could happen if Celebrity, despite our request to be seated alone, assigns us tablemates.

PS: Either way, anyone know how to time MDR to make the theatre's show?

I have done select on my last 3 cruises. You can dine when you want, sit at any size table, ask for a special waiter or location, etc. If you want private time, dine at a table for 2. If you want to meet new people, ask to be seated with a larger group. If you do not like the people, it was only one meal. I have dined assigned many times. I like either a table for 2 or a large table. Large tables can be fun if you have a nice mix. If I travel with my family, I always get a assigned table for just us. I love my kids and grand kids. Not sure that everyone would enjoy the company of the little kids. Tables for 4 assigned can happen. It happened to me twice. Both times were awful. Be happy that Celebrity has select.

Thanks in advance!

We have had a table for 4 for 2 in the past. Actually prefer this, if space allows, i.e., diningroom not too crowded. Go see the Matre'd on the first day when you board. Generally there is someone in one of the diningrooms making adjustment to table assignments. Go and ask for whatyou want. They sometimes make changes on the spot, other time it takes a day or too. We always tip the Matre'd, after at the end of the cruise if we got a table we liked and had good service through out the cruise.

We cruise Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Cunard and NCL. We are elite on Priness and Celebrity. Have not been on the Constellaltion for a number of years... feel the chance to get a table for 4 for 2, is better on this class of ship because the MDR less crowded than on the newer ships.

Hope you get what yoy want.

on our Hawaii cruise on the Century we did anytime dining. With the exception of one night when we were seated at a large table (another story on it's own) we sat at the same 2seat table of in the same group of 4 tables every night we were ate in the MDR. We loved the waiter and his assistant. He was so much fun that we sat with basically the same group of wonderful people each night. So on our next cruise we are doing anytime again!

We have always preferred Traditional dining because of having the same waiter every night and have always been assigned our requested table for two. One time the two of us were seated alone at a 6-top.

However on our last Summit cruise, we were assigned a table in the "hallway" as you entered. We were not willing to sit there so we met with the head maitre d' on boarding day and he had nothing else to offer us and suggested a change to Select Dining. We agreed and had a great dining experience. We requested the same waiter and were accommodated every night. We even got (what we considered) a prime location "on the rail" most nights.

We are now converts to Select Dining.

Archived