Majesty or Spirit - Which Would You Get Rid of?

Which lease would you renew?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which lease would you renew?

• Keep BOTH.
    • Keep SPIRIT, get rid of MAJESTY.
    • Keep MAJESTY, get rid of SPIRIT.
    • Get rid of BOTH.

Hi sailaway, I do love your blog and your posts but not sure about this one I'm afraid. It does seem very " anti-Majesty " to me.

I liked the ship very much and am just worried your recent post on your blog will put people off who havnt tried it.

In the beginning no one gave it a chance as I know destiny was very well loved and the way they were swapped wasn't good but recently I would say it's 80% good reviews with some fair comments on layout which I admit are not perfect but then no ship is perfect really is it.

Hope you don't think I'm being rude, I really don't mean to be its just that saying Thomson cruise customers say Majesty should leave the fleet on your blog is a bit misleading.

The poll has only been done by about 44 people out of the thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands of Thomson cruisers. This is just a very minute amount of customers but someone reading that comment on your blog or on here could get the impression its a poll across most past customers.

When we were aboard we didn't come across any negative comments in fact most said they loved it.

I wonder out of those who have voted to "get rid of the Majesty" in the poll have actually sailed on her?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Hello. Of course you're not being rude! :D

In fact I see what you mean. Tried to make it balanced but I think I've not done that successfully, and definitely agree about it only being 44 people who voted.

Will do some amending on it as I think you're correct. :)

Good points there Vicki. As I said it would have been better to have voted which of the four ships should leave, as there was no way of voting for the Dream or Celebration to go :(

Once again Sailaway, have you actually been on the Majesty?

Yes I agree Linda and it's unfair when people vote to give it the elbow who havnt been on the ship.

Whatever the customers say I doubt it will effect thomsons decision though ,i'm sure they already know what they are doing I'm just worried this will put people off the Majesty which is a real shame :-(

Good points there Vicki. As I said it would have been better to have voted which of the four ships should leave, as there was no way of voting for the Dream or Celebration to go :(

Once again Sailaway, have you actually been on the Majesty?

No, not been on Majesty, so I know it is naughty of me to say I'm not keen on the ship when I haven't been on it. :o

Reviews have always put me off, especially the small standard cabins (which we usually go for) and the small show lounge. Nearly went on it this year with Adriatic Explorer, but I suppose when you are spending a lot of money on a holiday and you want it to be perfect, when you have a doubt about a ship you are put off a bit.

But I know I shouldn't say I'm not keen on a ship when I haven't been on it. :o

That's the problem these days with reviews so accessible online. You rely on them too much, particularly the bad ones rather than the good ones, when really you should try it out yourself and make up your own mind.

I read reviews but I am afraid I don't make decisions from them as I am a pub reviewer and know just how varied opinions can be.

Like the police say, ask half a dozen witnesses to describe the villain, and you rarely get two descriptions the same.

So why should reviews of a ship be the same? They can't be as everyone has different priorities of what they want from their cruise.

We have been on the Dream and loved her, and know there are varied opinions about her, but that wouldn't put me off going back on her next January. I am on Island Escape in October and there are some dreadful comments on her, but so what. I am going with a view to enjoy my holiday. Majesty is booked for May 14 and Spirit for Aug 14 so that just leaves the Celebration for the set!!! Hmmm. What was that about winter 14/15? May be worth a look when I retake stock of the depleting finances.

First cruise January 13 and ok I am another who caught the bug, the cruising one not NV.

Thanks for changing it Sailaway.

I still think its quite "anti Majesty" though.

What i would really love to know is out of the people who have voted to get rid of the Majesty how many of them have actually sailed on her.

I've been on Spirit and really like the ship however i could find several negatives if i wanted to.

The Spirit has been in the fleet for many years, has a very loyal fan club some who have been on her several times in fact i think i read of one family who have been on her about 19 times who then tried the Majesty once and slated her all over the internet.

I just think the poll could have been done differently and its just been mainly the Spirit regulars who are voting to keep her at the cost of slating the Majesty when most possibly havnt tried it.

I may be wrong and of course i know several who have voted will have been on both ships but really no one should vote unless they actually have been on both or its just giving a very false reading , sorry im being a real moaner Sailaway :(

Thanks for changing it Sailaway.

I still think its quite "anti Majesty" though.

What i would really love to know is out of the people who have voted to get rid of the Majesty how many of them have actually sailed on her.

I've been on Spirit and really like the ship however i could find several negatives if i wanted to.

The Spirit has been in the fleet for many years, has a very loyal fan club some who have been on her several times in fact i think i read of one family who have been on her about 19 times who then tried the Majesty once and slated her all over the internet.

I just think the poll could have been done differently and its just been mainly the Spirit regulars who are voting to keep her at the cost of slating the Majesty when most possibly havnt tried it.

I may be wrong and of course i know several who have voted will have been on both ships but really no one should vote unless they actually have been on both or its just giving a very false reading , sorry im being a real moaner Sailaway :(

I think you may be missing the point slightly. Majesty doesn't really fit in with the rest of the Thomson ships, which is why many existing Thomson passengers won't try her (myself included) no matter what. I have done plenty of research and know it would not suit my needs, whereas any of the other 3 ships in the fleet would. Having Majesty in the fleet automatically reduces my holiday choices by at least a quarter, and with her being deployed on some of the more popular routes such as the Adriatic, and the new home port at the start of next year my choices for become even more limited.

And that is why Majesty should go. As I have said previously though it won't go anytime soon as she fits in with Ellacott's future plans, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I think you may be missing the point slightly. Majesty doesn't really fit in with the rest of the Thomson ships, which is why many existing Thomson passengers won't try her (myself included) no matter what. I have done plenty of research and know it would not suit my needs, whereas any of the other 3 ships in the fleet would. Having Majesty in the fleet automatically reduces my holiday choices by at least a quarter, and with her being deployed on some of the more popular routes such as the Adriatic, and the new home port at the start of next year my choices for become even more limited.

And that is why Majesty should go. As I have said previously though it won't go anytime soon as she fits in with Ellacott's future plans, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

That's fair enough and we are all different but a different argument would be that the Majesty should stay as the majority who have actually tried it like it and if you havnt tried it then surely you can't say it won't suit you?

I really can't understand what it is about the Majesty that's so bad it would stop anyone booking to do an itinerary they really want to do and again if you havnt been on her how do you really know it wouldn't suit you?

If it's the well talked about small cabins then for a tiny amount you can have a plus cabin, if it's the loungers round the pool issue then there's plenty up one small set of steps from the pool, of its the small theatre then it isn't that small and the shows were still fab in fact I and many others didn't really see much of a difference, they sing and dance just the same and the pillars can be avoided too.

Food was fab, we thought much better than the spirit, crew are just as good as spirit, ship is clean and lots of bars etc......

Brings me back to my point that the poll isn't a fair picture when people are voting to get "rid" of the Majesty without ever setting foot aboard.

There is no way you can tell unless you have actually been onboard.

We didn't think we would like a Royal Caribbean ship after thomsons but while there were some things we didn't like we had a fab holiday and it really surprised us.

If the Majesty doesn't fit in with the rest of the fleet what on earth will happen when they buy or lease a newer ship as they say they will.

Will it be empty with no one willing to try it as it is different and doesn't fit in ?

Again apologies for getting on my soapbox but you would not go on trip advisor and comment that a hotel is no good unless you had tried it would you???

That's fair enough and we are all different but a different argument would be that the Majesty should stay as the majority who have actually tried it like it and if you havnt tried it then surely you can't say it won't suit you?

I really can't understand what it is about the Majesty that's so bad it would stop anyone booking to do an itinerary they really want to do and again if you havnt been on her how do you really know it wouldn't suit you?

If it's the well talked about small cabins then for a tiny amount you can have a plus cabin, if it's the loungers round the pool issue then there's plenty up one small set of steps from the pool, of its the small theatre then it isn't that small and the shows were still fab in fact I and many others didn't really see much of a difference, they sing and dance just the same and the pillars can be avoided too.

Food was fab, we thought much better than the spirit, crew are just as good as spirit, ship is clean and lots of bars etc......

Brings me back to my point that the poll isn't a fair picture when people are voting to get "rid" of the Majesty without ever setting foot aboard.

There is no way you can tell unless you have actually been onboard.

We didn't think we would like a Royal Caribbean ship after thomsons but while there were some things we didn't like we had a fab holiday and it really surprised us.

If the Majesty doesn't fit in with the rest of the fleet what on earth will happen when they buy or lease a newer ship as they say they will.

Will it be empty with no one willing to try it as it is different and doesn't fit in ?

Again apologies for getting on my soapbox but you would not go on trip advisor and comment that a hotel is no good unless you had tried it would you???

My feelings exactly, in red, Dreamgirl. In fact although I don't want to get into a controversial argument between which ship to get rid of, I did start to write a comment this morning and it was along the same lines. I have had Internet problems today so hope it does not go down again before I post this.

I don't want to say too much because I am new to cruising. I have cruised on Majesty 3 times and had 2 day visits on Spirit. As I have not actually cruised on Spirit I don't think I am in a position to decide which ship should go because i cannot make a fair comparison. In fact I think I voted to get rid of both ships with the hope that they would be replaced with more modern ships but with the same British atmosphere and same crew and entertainment.

I did a short review of my impressions of the the structure of Spirit compared with Majesty from my visit in June and from memory I said the appearance of Spirit was comfortable, past its best and rather dark and worn in parts but that the Lido restaurant was much better than Majesty. I had a friend with me who has cruised on RCI and Majesty and her impression was that she would not cruise on Spirit as it was too closed in and shabby. But as I said that is just from a short visit and about the ship....not the crew or entertainment.

In fact I think I would love to book a cruise on a Sensatori type ship as long as it retained the Thomson ambience that I have grown to look forward to. But at the same time retain a couple of the older ships for the people who love them.

No, not been on Majesty, so I know it is naughty of me to say I'm not keen on the ship when I haven't been on it. :o

Reviews have always put me off, especially the small standard cabins (which we usually go for) and the small show lounge. Nearly went on it this year with Adriatic Explorer, but I suppose when you are spending a lot of money on a holiday and you want it to be perfect, when you have a doubt about a ship you are put off a bit.

But I know I shouldn't say I'm not keen on a ship when I haven't been on it. :o

That's the problem these days with reviews so accessible online. You rely on them too much, particularly the bad ones rather than the good ones, when really you should try it out yourself and make up your own mind.

Thanks for answering my query Sailaway :) I was beginning to think I had been blackballed on here ;):D

I can't read your amended version, the link doesn't work :(

if you havnt been on her how do you really know it wouldn't suit you?

sorry dreamgirl....but not strictly true

I am an experienced cruiser and i know what I am looking for when I make my holiday choices

I have read the reviews (good and bad) and I just dont think maj would suit my personal taste

There is no way you can tell unless you have actually been onboard

I havnt been to siberia....but I think i can safely say it wouldnt suit me, I would vote for hawaii anytime.....even tho I havnt been there either?

I'm guessing plenty of other people might like siberia?....and plenty might not like hawaii?

but if i was asked for my personal opinion, and i had to vote for one of the other......it would be hawaii.....siberia would have to go (sorry siberia!)

same goes for majesty v spirit (sorry maj!)

May I point out the poll Sailaway did was, a shall we call it a "Your personal choice" Poll

It is in no way real and when the poll ends Thomson will not look at it and say ..

"Look Sailaways poll says this ship must go ...get rid !" They will all still be there in the fleet :).

How many polls did Sailaway do with choose where your ships should go /you would like them to go next ?

Had we been to all those places we did not vote for ?

Think they are really just a bit of fun really ,nothing to get upset about should our choices not turn out to be

top of the poll;):).

Well Folks I'm voting for a bottle (Or Few ) of Becks ...Enjoy your weekend ! Cheers !!:D

Ps ... Where's the the Blog gone, I wanted to read that ?? :(

Thanks for answering my query Sailaway :) I was beginning to think I had been blackballed on here ;):D

I can't read your amended version, the link doesn't work :(

Haha. No, would never blackball you. :D

No, I've taken the post off for now while I make some amendments to it. I tried to make it a balanced view, pointing out positives and negatives of each ship and people's opinions of them, but I think I need to make it more balanced so taken it off for now so I can review it. :)

I think the main problem with the Majesty debate is that when you are booking a cruise, it is already an expensive holiday and something you really look forward to, and when there is a niggling doubt in your mind about a ship it can put you off choosing it as you want to make sure you get the best holiday you can for the price you pay, especially when Majesty's itineraries are already quite expensive because of where the ship visits.

I'm the same as you Grez. Would love to do the Adriatic and Aegean again but I have reservations on the ship, so at the moment I'm not choosing it and looking at other liners. The things we love about the other Thomson ships are the large standard cabins, the big wide promenade deck and the two storey show lounge, and unfortunately Majesty can't offer these things.

However, I also get your point Dreamgirl that really we shouldn't judge a ship unless you try it, as actually you could find that the issues that you think may bother you won't actually be a problem when you are onboard, and actually they aren't really anything to be concerned over.

If the price of the Adriatic Explorer drops for next year (as at the moment it is ridiculously high!) then I might look at getting a good late deal. :D After all, cruising is all about the great and different places you visit isn't it more than anything else. ;)

May I point out the poll Sailaway did was, a shall we call it a "Your personal choice" Poll

It is in no way real and when the poll ends Thomson will not look at it and say ..

"Look Sailaways poll says this ship must go ...get rid !" They will all still be there in the fleet :).

How many polls did Sailaway do with choose where your ships should go /you would like them to go next ?

Had we been to all those places we did not vote for ?

Think they are really just a bit of fun really ,nothing to get upset about should our choices not turn out to be

top of the poll

Well Folks I'm voting for a bottle (Or Few ) of Becks ...Enjoy your weekend ! Cheers !!:D

Ps ... Where's the the Blog gone, I wanted to read that ?? :(

Thanks kalos. I do like a good poll, and it is just a bit of fun to see what our views are for certain things. :)

I took the post down for now while I make some amendments to it. Enjoy your weekend too! Have one on me. :D ;)

calm d- own girl let,s put it in a nutshell majesty to many soul,s on board 1,450 MDR to many table,s ever lasting waiting to be seated . top deck rear to many sun bed,s soot all over deck . how many sardin,es in a tin. sorry we only drew to day

calm d- own girl let,s put it in a nutshell majesty to many soul,s on board 1,450 MDR to many table,s ever lasting waiting to be seated . top deck rear to many sun bed,s soot all over deck . how many sardin,es in a tin. sorry we only drew to day

So did we, but still top of League two :):)

Becks?

Cats widdle, not that I`ve tasted cats widdle :D

Never voted on this poll as felt not in a position to do so having never cruised on either ships.Will be rectified next year when we cruise on the Maj.After cruising 4 times on the Dream which for us was getting a bit stale really looking forward to cruising on the Maj

Becks?

Cats widdle, not that I`ve tasted cats widdle :D

Never voted on this poll as felt not in a position to do so having never cruised on either ships.Will be rectified next year when we cruise on the Maj.After cruising 4 times on the Dream which for us was getting a bit stale really looking forward to cruising on the Maj

Becks aint that bad once you get past the first six bottles Jim ;)

Only allowed a few these days :( so I have a few Southern comforts to take the taste away :D

You will do fine on the Maj Jim had one of my best New Year Party's on that ship ..enjoy when you go :)

Agree with you kalos. Liked the Majesty, but after the last cruise, I would also opt to ditch the Dream :rolleyes: I know that will not be popular though :eek:

Hi Cruisin Linda

I spent two weeks on the Majesty and couldnt fault it, On our 2nd week the Dream was in the same port as us and both ships opened the doors to each other, I didn't go on her but others did and didn't like the lay out as much as the majesty. I agree the Majesty could do with make over :)

I really enjoyed the Adriatic and Italian Flavours we did and booked to go on her again next August :D:D

Archived