Independence vs Adventure

Looking to book a Caribbean cruise in March 2014. Need thoughts/advice/suggestions on one ship vs the other. I was all set to book on Adventure and then found out it is due to refurbed 2 wks after we sail. That does not bode well it seems to me. I have also read some disturbing food reviews on both ships. HELP

Renee

We were on Adventure a couple of weeks ago for our first cruise and we loved this ship! We found her to be very clean and well maintained - really there's no cause for concern. We also loved the food - 10 pound weight gain says it all! And the staff are fabulous - all so friendly. Wouldn't hesitate to choose this ship again.

Incidentally we're now hooked and have booked Independence next year to experience a different category of ship. Hope this helps.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Looking to book a Caribbean cruise in March 2014. Need thoughts/advice/suggestions on one ship vs the other. I was all set to book on Adventure and then found out it is due to refurbed 2 wks after we sail. That does not bode well it seems to me. I have also read some disturbing food reviews on both ships. HELP

Renee

If it helps, food on Independence was excellent.

I've sailed both several times and, obviously, I like them both or I would not be repeating cruises on them. We have not been in the southern Caribbean for awhile now and we usually sail cruise in March. I decided to put Adventure off for next March because it is so close to refurb. I am just concerned that they will start preliminary work prior to the dry dock. And though I love the 8 night itinerary that Indy does we have done it two years in a row on Navigator and Indy so we are doing Allure.

I have had no issues with the food on either Indy or Adventure. My issue with Indy is that they removed the Logo shop from the promenade. And I like Logo shops!

We love both ships, sailed on Indy three times and booked again for next year, cant find anything to fault her on. The foods been great and the crew are always so friendly and helpful.

We were on Adventure in June and to be honest had heard bad reports about her .I don't know why I was worried she's a beautiful ship,clean and well cared for. The food was very good and the crew were some of the best we've had, it seemed a very happy ship. There are signs of wear and tear but you really have to go out of your way to spot them and the TV's in the cabins aren't the flat screen type but that's no problem.

Id honestly say you'd be fine booking either ship so don't worry about negative comments, go see for yourself

Renee

We're booked next March on Independence - looking forward to it. She's a big ship with plenty to do onboard.

We've sailed Adventure twice now - also a very nice ship. Food, service, cabins, Promenade, etc. are all something we enjoy.

Independence is bigger (we've also been on Oasis so we know big!), but otherwise both ships are similar.

Likely you should choose base on your personal choices in destination ports. We really like the Southern Caribbean ports (especially St Lucia, St Martin, and Antigua), but have now opted for just trying something new - looking forward to Grand Cayman.

We're sailing on the AOS in March '14 and can't wait. The itinerary is different than most normal cruises and, although we've been on 10 cruises, we're actually going to a couple of new ports.

That being said, we've been on this ship before and absolutely love her. Going into dry dock the next month did cross my mind as being a problem but everything I read on this site is that there is nothing to worry about.

I have also sailed both and they are very similar, except for one thing. Indy was virtually a non-smoking ship. She sails most of the year from England and thus adopts England's strict smoking laws. I was delighted to finally be able to once again enjoy the pub entertainment. Haven't been able to do that on any ship since Voyager left Galveston!

Archived