Why do you decorate your cabin door?

aideek2000

I wouldn't see any reason to do it unless there are children in the party who may be confused by cabin numbers. It's unlikely that they would not be accompanied by the adults though, so probably no an issue for us. Only other reason I would do it would be if someone in our party is visually impaired and needs something to stand out for recognition.

For what it is worth, the last time we decorated a door was close to 45 years ago in college! We have been on 23 cruises and see no need to do so. On the other hand, if folks want to do so, it doesn't bother us in the least!

Edited by tip

I've asked my partner, an experienced cruiser, about decorated doors...he told me that you can ask the cruise line to put a little something up on the door to celebrate a special occasion. I hadn't dreamed that people did it on their own...I can't wait!

I won't go overboard but, having a little something on the door sounds like fun/charming. I won't admit that I'm even inspired to put up a little something just because it seems alot of people think it's tacky. I'll admit that I'm a little tacky...and charming as heck. :D

As (the better half) of a gay couple...I'm used to people saying worse things about me than I'm tacky and that they don't like my home decor.

I won't go overboard but, having a little something on the door sounds like fun/charming. I won't admit that I'm even inspired to put up a little something just because it seems alot of people think it's tacky. I'll admit that I'm a little tacky...and charming as heck. :D

I am with you Steven/Stephen, I like tacky too but I am a bit shy of doing too much, so I have just made an A5 size picture of a sailing ship wishing everyone 'Bon Voyage'. I am a retired 'middle aged' English lady LOL and my son and wife will be next door and my daughter in law says she will disown me if I do too much. this is my second cruise but I didn't see any decorated doors last time but hoping to see some this time. enjoy your first cruise.

We decorated our door on our last cruise and got a lot of great compliments on it. I took a poster, covered it with water scrapbooking paper, and put a beach sand border around it. Put some flip flop and fish stickers on, a few pictures of DH and I, a picture of out home state, and a couple of paper beach balls with our port activities. It was fun for us. We don't have any problem locating our cabin but we'll do it again in April! Although if your flying I recommend bringing you door decoration in pieces, flying with a rolled poster and trying not to damage it was more problem than it was worth!

Leaving on our 2nd cruise TOMORROW (Yay!). I will be decorating our door this time. Will post pics next week when I return home. Our cabin is easy to find but I just think it'll be fun to do. I made a "porthole" with a mermaid inside of it. Hope no one tries to take anything.

snip....Although if your flying I recommend bringing you door decoration in pieces, flying with a rolled poster and trying not to damage it was more problem than it was worth!

I usually laminate my bits and pieces so they are a bit protected, if I need to roll anything I use one of those art tubes

Sandy in Spain

PS You door decs sound fun

On our last cruise a small group of ladies had their doors decorated for the one's 50th birthday. It was very cute and prompted the whole hallway to stop and say Happy Birthday! To the birthday girl.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

• 3 months later...

Whenever we see this topic I like to post DWs feelings on the subject. She spent over thirty years as an Elementary School teacher where she had to always be decorating her doors, walls, etc. When she sees a decorated door on a cruise ship (and there are relatively few on any cruise) she just laughs and says it reminds her of kindergarten. My own comment is that we do an awful lot of world travel and I have yet to see anyone decorate their hotel door or the door of an All-Inclusive room. Not sure why cruise ships are different...but I would have to guess it just brings out the "child" in some cruisers :)

Hank

We never have, but it's fun seeing some of the creativity on some of the doors we've seen, and sometimes ith was kind of like "we're 3 doors down from the cabin with the XXXX door". The primary reason we've never done it is: A) seems you'd want to have a theme or reason and B) and most importantly........ it's that much more crap you don't have to pack and take along.

The problem is that this tacky crap degrades an elegantly appointed ship. It's about as artistic as spray paint ghetto "gang tags" on a subway wall.

And I find it tacky when men show up on formal night without even wearing a tie; and I find it tacky when people bend over and their shirt no longer meets the top of their pants, if you know what I mean.

But I also think it would be equally tacky to go up to such people and tell them that I think they are tacky; because they have every right to enjoy their cruise as much as I do.

IF... that's a big if, I get to the right part of the right corridor I have no problem finding my cabin. I look at the numbers.

But I guess I get stupid when I get on a ship, because it takes me days to remember which way to turn when getting off which elevator to get to the right corridor.

I've not decorated my own door, but I always love it when someone on my corridor has a decoration I can see from the first turn off the elevator.

One cruise a couple at the end of our corridor had balloons on their door. Apparently they either took them down or they were stolen or popped, but after about 5 or 6 days they weren't there. I was so disappointed, even though by then I knew my way without them.

I think this cruise I may bring something along. I like the idea of a picture of our dog (who is deceased and missed) but being greeted by his photo would be really nice. Not to mention it could be a great conversation starter.

My own comment is that we do an awful lot of world travel and I have yet to see anyone decorate their hotel door or the door of an All-Inclusive room.

Hank

We have: both done it and seen it. Especially when people are traveling with large groups. The last AI we stayed at had a family reunion and they all had signs with "Smith Family Reunion" on them, along with photos dating back almost 100 years. It was pretty cool.