Viking Portraits of Southern France - Terrible Trip

JaneCas65

I'm curious if Viking is considered a "budget" cruise line for river cruises? Someone made a comment to that effect earlier, and I am wondering if they are considered to be the equivalent of Carnival for the larger ships?

Just to pre-empt any attacks... I am not putting down Carnival, just asking if Viking is considered to be more a "value" line, rather than a luxury line?

I think it was me who made the comment that Viking was not luxury. I didn't mean that it was "budget". Just not luxury like the advertisements imply. So I guess if you want to make an ocean liner analogy, it seemed to me that the OP was expecting something like a Crystal Cruiselines, but the Viking brand is moderate, like NCL. As with anything, you pay for what you get.

Guess I have a problem with "one post wonders" who post their complaints all over the Internet and anywhere else they can think of....

I am frankly tired of these type of posters and just a little bit suspicious of the quality of the complaint.

Yeah, now she's a one post wonder. Umm, maybe if she had been treated better she would have returned to answer questions and to further discuss her complaints/opinions. It is possible to read CC without logging in -- i.e., daily notifications --and we have no idea if OP joined just to complain but I certainly would not have returned for a continued beating by this crowd; I'd just walk away quietly (as OP has done).

I think it was me who made the comment that Viking was not luxury. I didn't mean that it was "budget". Just not luxury like the advertisements imply. So I guess if you want to make an ocean liner analogy, it seemed to me that the OP was expecting something like a Crystal Cruiselines, but the Viking brand is moderate, like NCL. As with anything, you pay for what you get.

Thanks for the clarification, and the helpful analogy!

I'm going to add my 2 pen'oth (old English!) to the thread. We are from the UK and did this itinerary last summer with CroisiEurope and having done our research, we were aware that our cruise ship was considered 3* so our expectations were adjusted accordingly and we had a great time.

I would like to clarify a couple of points raised by the OP which are common to most river cruise holidays.

Our tour was a package organised by a UK tour firm but we were never expected to go to the advice meetings although the rep was there to assist with queries and to explain the following day's programme. We attended the ones we felt really necessary which included the disembarkation talk.

Our cruise line did not have a ship!s card so we were expected to leave our cabin key as we left the ship and collect it immediately on our return so the crew knew we were on board. I've looked in my ship's info and it does explain this. Maybe Viking needs to address this issue?

Most tours were conducted by a guide using the head phone system and thank goodness they did as, in the open air in busy tourist venues, it would be almost Impossible to hear the information. It's a shame that they break down. Mine did too but was replaced immediately.

The guides have a prescribed number of sights to show their group which, of course, meant moving on fairly swiftly from 1 to another. Also the ship has a finite amount of time in port so the guides have to keep to the schedule. I have mobility problems which I explained to each guide and, without exception, they tried to adapt the pace to suit me. It was my choice to leave the groups after a while as I realised I was slowing everyone down.

The sun decks were often closed as we went through the locks as a safety precaution but were reopened as soon as we were clear. We went under several low bridges where we were invited to either leave the deck or to lie flat on our sun loungers. We saw many other ships on our journey and all had people on their decks so i am really mystified to hear the deck was closed most of the time.

It's true that you spend a lot of time actually sailing but we covered nearly 1000 miles in a week with very little night time sailing and it is a 'river cruise'!

Things like beds, drinks and food are very personal. I like a firm bed, my husband thoroughly enjoyed the house wine (he doesn't drink £20 bottles at home though) and our food was great but these are our opinions.

The OP says they spent £3000 for the trip for 2 people. For that they got flights, transfers, full board, inclusive wines, some tours, all household chores done, entertainment and a 1000 mile trip through glorious countryside. I'm not sure what the OP wants from the company....compensation for ??

Thank you soccerref. Your impressions agree completely with everything I have read in preparing for next week's AMA cruise.

After all the real disasters with this summer's floods, OP's complaints are very hard to take seriously -- especially in light of Viking's 3* reputation.

All the advice I have read on CC for first time river cruisers includes the warning that river cruising isn't like ocean cruising and one has to set one's expectations accordingly. We've never had an ocean cruise that looked like the brochures (where the weather is always perfect, the ship is almost empty, and the people are all professional models), so I don't expect that from a river cruise either. But with proper prior planning (GIs can fill in the rest of this...) you should have a good time that meets your reasonable expectations.

The real problem seems to be that OP didn't do the PPP.

[i hope I don't eat these words next week on AMAcello.]

The piling-on behavior to pick apart newcomers' rants is pretty much par for the course in any online forum. While I must confess it's sorta' fun to watch, it's also helpful for lurkers. Primarily because, inevitably, the OP made assumptions (warranted or not) and mistakes - which will quickly be highlighted. Too late for the OP, but a lesson learned for an observer.

I also notice something about the posts that tend to get attacked - the OP inevitably posts with a level of indignation matched only by their cluelessness. That and a laundry list of complaints that inevitably contains one detail (bruising the wine) that colors the entire post - and thread.

In this case, I must admit I did do a bit of eye-rolling, but to me a couple of her complaints are significant.

(1) It appears the transfer was handled poorly. Of course, more info might shed more light on it.

(2) The OP's expectations were for a luxury experience. Granted, the expectations were out of line. However, I DO think that somehow the line bears some responsibility to properly describe the product. Those of us who have taken river cruises and who frequent this board are more savvy - but for someone who sees an ad on TV and bases their expectations on the brochure and perhaps website, those portrayals are important.

(2) The OP's expectations were for a luxury experience. Granted, the expectations were out of line. However, I DO think that somehow the line bears some responsibility to properly describe the product.

This is why my question to the OP was about their other holidays experiences as frankly, the prices charged by Viking in the UK are not particularly high and that should have been a strong clue right there ...

Also 'luxury' on a river boat is not the same as 'luxury' on an ocean cruise ship.

Also for other first time posters, it is worth opening with a simple 'hello' post before going straight for the long complaint thread. Far more likely to get a more friendly response if people feel some connection to you and your experience.

Thank you soccerref. Your impressions agree completely with everything I have read in preparing for next week's AMA cruise.

[i hope I don't eat these words next week on AMAcello.]

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time, jazzbeau. Having been on her a few months ago, I look forward to hearing your report.

(2) The OP's expectations were for a luxury experience. Granted, the expectations were out of line. However, I DO think that somehow the line bears some responsibility to properly describe the product. Those of us who have taken river cruises and who frequent this board are more savvy - but for someone who sees an ad on TV and bases their expectations on the brochure and perhaps website, those portrayals are important.

I spent over 3 decades in the advertising business, though never did any work for travel & leisure clients. Some of this may seem pretty obvious, but we always would try and represent the product or service in the most appealing light. There is always something that sets your product or service apart and in most cases we would work hard to drive home a price/benefit ratio. I would never want to "over promise" in any ad or commercial, but surely in the case of travel you would want to make the "experience" seem alluring, luxurious and pampered.

Archived