Sun Princess cruise cancelled in Singapore

So sorry for the passengers.

Surely, Princess could have given passengers more notice than when they were actually at the wharf.

Later - There is an article on this cancellation under "News".

(The first three news articles are about cruise cancellations - Princess, Celebrity and Norwegian.)

Surely, Princess could have given passengers more notice than when they were actually at the wharf.

Yes that is pretty poor from Princess. At least if you knew the night before you could think about booking a last minute dash to Thailand, Malaysia etc.... Otherwise those that work have wasted their precious annual leave. Not something anyone wishes to do.

Reading between the lines ...

it sounds like the extensive refit was not completed on time.

I agree. The following comment from Eric Black on CC News -

"Princess....you must be joking. I am one of the almost 2000 passengers who were greeted with the news of cruise cancellation when we arrived at Marina Bay cruise centre in Singapore today.To say I'm disappointed is an understatement! At least you might have given us the courtesy of an earlier indication of impending problems. Why else would Princess have called me last week asking if I would care to defer my cruise for a month? http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-20/cruise-cancelled-abruptly-stranding-thousands/4900552"

I agree. The following comment from Eric Black on CC News -

"Princess....you must be joking. I am one of the almost 2000 passengers who were greeted with the news of cruise cancellation when we arrived at Marina Bay cruise centre in Singapore today.To say I'm disappointed is an understatement! At least you might have given us the courtesy of an earlier indication of impending problems. Why else would Princess have called me last week asking if I would care to defer my cruise for a month? http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-20/cruise-cancelled-abruptly-stranding-thousands/4900552"

Sounds like there more to the story about the cancellation. Isn't this the first cruise after the drydock?

Maybe its not going to come to Australia and going to be redeployed or stay up in Asia.

I dont think so, at least I hope not. They would have to cancel a whole season of cruising down here.

My pick is she will set sail for Perth with workmen on board and the refit will be finished on route.

Lesson to us all for future bookings....

Dont book a first cruise after a major refit.

I dont think so, at least I hope not. They would have to cancel a whole season of cruising down here.

My pick is she will set sail for Perth with workmen on board and the refit will be finished on route.

Lesson to us all for future bookings....

Dont book a first cruise after a major refit.

Not unless is dirt cheap.

The extremely late notice of the cancellation was poor...but it is an electrical problem that would make sailing impossilble...and yes I am sure it is something to do with the refit.

If I was on the cruise...I would look for something last minute out of Singapore...friends did that when they got a "move over" offer on a Princess cruise that was too good to refuse. The used the flights they had already booked grabbed a last minute on another ship out of Singapore...got upgraded to a Royal Suite, had a few days in Singapore...got their money back from the original cruise and generous discount on their next booking plus OBC. Win win all around..

Sue

Sue

The extremely late notice of the cancellation was poor...but it is an electrical problem that would make sailing impossilble...and yes I am sure it is something to do with the refit.

If I was on the cruise...I would look for something last minute out of Singapore...friends did that when they got a "move over" offer on a Princess cruise that was too good to refuse. The used the flights they had already booked grabbed a last minute on another ship out of Singapore...got upgraded to a Royal Suite, had a few days in Singapore...got their money back from the original cruise and generous discount on their next booking plus OBC. Win win all around..

Sue

Sue

No help to those stranded at Marina Bay.....

Next cruise booked in is 15 Sep and that when Sun gets back there from Perth.

She could be sitting there for a while...if she cant move.:eek::eek:

Yes, but wouldnt you think if it was that major ? it would have been tugged back to the dry dock instead of sitting at the passenger terminal. Hmmm.

She could be sitting there for a while...if she cant move.:eek::eek:

Yes, but wouldnt you think if it was that major ? it would have been tugged back to the dry dock instead of sitting at the passenger terminal. Hmmm.

Maybe the dry dock isn't free at the moment. I think those facilities are booked well ahead. If the work that needs to be done can be completed while the ship is docked in Singapore then at sea, that would cost less than having the ship in a dry dock. Interior work wouldn't need a dry dock.

What about Mariner of the Seas isn't she floating around out of Singapore doing short cruises to and fro China?

If it was me I would be having them see of a possible transfer to that and jump to another possible cruise with some interim accommodation from today until the Mariner departs.

Such a shame to have flown all the way there without doing anything. They would have already 'done' Singapore prior to their Sun Princess sailing date.

Also I think Princess does keep their ships well furnished however they continually have mechanical problems with Dawn, Sun and less often Sea Princess. The other cruiselines may not always be up to speed with their furnishings but you don't often here of mechanical issues, except for Millenium.

Jill

What about Mariner of the Seas isn't she floating around out of Singapore doing short cruises to and fro China?

If it was me I would be having them see of a possible transfer to that and jump to another possible cruise with some interim accommodation from today until the Mariner departs.

Such a shame to have flown all the way there without doing anything. They would have already 'done' Singapore prior to their Sun Princess sailing date.

Jill

Mariner is cruising China at the moment. She cruises out of Singapore in Nov.

There is also Star cruises , but they usually sail full.

There are more reports on the Princess page, where passengers are describing how they are being treated.

There is a UK report quoting Princess stating that the malfunction is limited to hotel services, air conditioning etc and that some stranded passengers are being accommodated in the unaffected rooms. So presumably she will be able to transfer to somewhere else for repairs or even as suggested do these while she is underway if there are enough unaffected cabins and service areas.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/cruises/power-failure-brings-cancellation-cruise-2192196

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived