Fanny pack while in port - advice needed

cruising mickey

We use a beach safe that fits around you neck. They come in different sizes. Never very large. We carry our Id's, Ships card, a copy of our passport and whatever cash we want to take. The only time I have used Credit Cards in a foreign county is for the hotel and usually that is paid for before we leave.

We seldom have anything in our pockets. The only thing I carry is my camera case and that fits over my neck as well.

• 7 months later...

Think of a very small back pack with a built-in waist belt. It is often worn around the waist at either the front or back (where it rides on the buttocks). One form of American slang for one's buttocks is "fanny". Google "fanny pack" to get pictures.

I used to use a fanny/bum bag, but now have a crossbody bag. Fanny pack got retired and tied up to my handlebars of my bike. Fits perfect and can hold your items so they don't fall out of your pocket. Now to decide which one to take for upcoming cruise, small or medium.

Erm... sorry if this sounds weird, but what is a 'fanny pack'?? Where I come from 'fanny' is a rude word.

Yes, hehe, I was amazed to see the title of this post! But they explain above, it's what Americans call a bum-bag. I'd like to see the reaction if they try to buy one in the UK ...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, hehe, I was amazed to see the title of this post! But they explain above, it's what Americans call a bum-bag. I'd like to see the reaction if they try to buy one in the UK ...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I went into a small shop in Tobago once and asked for some flip flops and you are right, the puzzled expression on the lady was so funny. An older man sitting near by told her I mean slippers. Slippers in America are casual bedroom or house shoes, an older expression, usually for cold weather, although flip flops serve the purpose in warm climates, but are never called that. Hard to explain. The divide of the common language.

Edited by jamessemaj

I've been following this thread with interest. Why do you need to have different items of clothing just because you're on a cruise? The city I live in has thousands of tourists/visitors each year, including cruise ships, and the cruisers are all immediately identifiable by their uniform of trainers/sports shoes and fanny packs. If you were visitng a different city in your own country, would you wear different clothes - allowing for different weather - from what you'd normally wear to go out and about at home?

Just wondering!

• 2 weeks later...
I don't mind looking like a tourist. I do prefer not to look like a naive and vulnerable tourist.

Fanny pack (bum pack) when I'm a native, looks to me like "naive, vulnerable tourist."

It probably doesn't matter, but they're now called a waist pack, instead of a fanny / bum pack. I prefer cargo shorts or pants, with pockets in the front. While not 100% foolproof, they're better than carrying valuables in a pack around your waist.

I've been following this thread with interest. Why do you need to have different items of clothing just because you're on a cruise? The city I live in has thousands of tourists/visitors each year, including cruise ships, and the cruisers are all immediately identifiable by their uniform of trainers/sports shoes and fanny packs. If you were visitng a different city in your own country, would you wear different clothes - allowing for different weather - from what you'd normally wear to go out and about at home?

Just wondering!

The only time I wear sports shoes/trainers at home is when I'm actually working out or running. Otherwise I'm in sandals most of the time due to the warm climate I live in. In cooler months I wear shoes or boots--not Uggs, nice riding boots or similar. I also wouldn't be caught dead wearing a fanny pack.

I tend to doubt you would immediately peg me as a tourist. If I were to walk through a city in France right now I'd be wearing slim black slacks tucked into riding boots, a black top, a scarf, and carrying either a handbag or a crossbody, depending on what I was doing that day.

I love all the advice I'm getting on this thread!!

My question for all of you is what do you do when you're going to be on the beach or on an excursion such as snorkeling or kayaking? I've seen the waterproof hard plastic "cases" that you can hang around your neck....but that seems a little awkward and clunky if you're swimming.

I love all the advice I'm getting on this thread!!

My question for all of you is what do you do when you're going to be on the beach or on an excursion such as snorkeling or kayaking? I've seen the waterproof hard plastic "cases" that you can hang around your neck....but that seems a little awkward and clunky if you're swimming.

Only take what you need--a small amount of cash, your ship ID, a disposable or waterproof camera, and things with no value to a thief such as sunscreen, a hat, towel, paperback (this is a good example of where a Kindle fails), etc. Put the ID in either a Velcro bathing suit pocket or your book, keep the cash in a pocket of your beach tote.

I have never had anything stolen on an excursion, but then again I've never taken anything with me that had any value that I couldn't keep with me at all times.

I didn't have much of value either but it didn't stop the crims from removing it.

It needs to be stuff of little value to yourself as well as to the thief. That way it doesn't cost you much, financially or emotionally, to replace.