NCL Alaska 2014- when to book?

dr28326

I have been on many cruises to the caribbean but planning 1st to alaska. I usually book way in advance but noticed some good prices waiting till last minute. Am I better off booking early or getting a deal last minute?

Book now. Then watch prices. You can get a lower price up until final payment time. Prices generally go up, not down...unless you can wait until the very last minute for a cruise date that hasn't sold out. And that is not very common.

Also consider... cabin selection.

Book now, get the cabin you want, watch prices, call and adjust before final payment.

After final payment, if the bottom really drops, NCL will be happy to upgrade you at current published fares. This happened to me. Booked BA @ $1349, bottom dropped out a couple weeks ago (well after final payment) and suites (SF) were listed @ $1599. No brainer... easy upgrade - great deal.

It may depend a bit on when you are planning on going. I believe that the ships have been pretty well full over the summer holidays and I didn't notice and price reduction before our Pearl trip last week.

Early in the season some Jewel cruises have been cancelled I believe so its likely that will keep the Pearl pretty well booked early on.

Maybe there could be some scope for price reductions in June/July or September, but I wouldn't count on it. My advice would be to book now and get the cabin you want..

Last year and early this year, I was mostly paying attention to NE/Canada cruises, but I also kept track of a particular Alaska cruise, but it seems pricing got lowest around January for a May Alaska cruise and an October NE/Canada cruise. Other posters are right about cabin selection, if that's a consideration. It depends on how much you want to go, and how much risk you're willing to take.

Alaska Cruises have always been very popular with me. I see some real bargains closing out 2013, for 2014 there are some excellent deals too :) I have always planned my Alaska Getaway in early June or September

In fact I just booked our 2014 adventure: It departs from Seattle and sales roundtrip starting September 1st 2014 on the Pearl. There were two reasons I chose this departure: 1) Labor Day Holiday allows for an extra weekend in Seattle (I am on the East Coast) and 2) the price that includes ports like Juneau, Ketchikan (in the morning cooler and more relaxed) and Victoria in time for dinner at the Fairmont Hotel (a highlight on a past cruise) ......

I was watching the Alaskan cruises this year, and price drops when they happened were only about one to two weeks before the cruise. The problem was that without more time to work out air arrangements, the increase in the air fare was usually more than the discount in the cruise fare.

Alaska is also one cruise where I think getting a balcony or at the minimum a porthole room is important. There is usually a lot to see every day (Unlike the Caribbean where it's mostly what appears to be dead water).

Well, I am quite the novice at this aspect of cruising, but these have been my experiences.

March '05 - had to go to Canada (from Australia) for work in June, so decided to fulfil a dream and take an Alaskan cruise (in May) while I was on the right continent and someone else was paying the airfare;) ! Booked an inside cabin. April - work trip in doubt; cancelled cruise :mad:. A few days later, trip back on. When I got back to the TA there had been a price drop, so we got a balcony for less than the previously-booked inside :D Cheering! Last minute price drop worked for us and we had a fantastic cruise.

June '13 - fast forward to upcoming Panama Canal cruise (Nov '13). Decided to book early(ish) to secure a port side, mid-ship balcony :). Prices had held steady for months. July - small price drops, but thought we were locked in. Early August - due to the exchange rate moving against the Aussie dollar, decided to make final payment early; in the following week - big price drops :mad: ! Still thought we were locked in but a week later decided to write to our TA to see If we could get a piece of the action. Answer yesterday - generous refund, increase OBC and kept our preferred cabin :D

Moral of my rather long story - do what you need to do for your own circumstances/desires, but keep an eye on what's happening. You never know, you may get a pleasant surprise. Bottom line, though, be satisfied with your decision. The cruise line does NOT have to extend price drops to previously booked passengers.

Happy cruising, everyone.

We've got three future cruises booked. In each case they have gone up in price since we booked them, $1400, $300, and $100. I was going to cancel the last one and rebook to get those current sale bennies. However, the price difference increase since we booked would not be worth the value of the bennies. I'll just stay happy with what we have.

We were looking to take a 2012 summer Alaska cruise back in late 2011 and saw prices hold firm for sailings on the Pearl/Jewel out of Seattle. So we decided against going.

Then in March of 2013 I saw the Sun was doing a Northbound/Southbound voyage and noticed that the Cruise & Airfare combo was about the same vs flying to Seattle, about a month later NCL was running a "Kids Sail 1/2 off" promo, and with us having 2 kids it made sense for us to book, which we did and sailed south from Whittier on 8/5/2013.

What I did notice is that the price for this voyage held firm up until few days after making my full payment. 1st & 2nd passenger rates dropped and "Kids sail free" was offered. There were plenty of cabins left over to choose from. I was kicking myself for not waiting and could have save quite a bit of money.

Long story short, book when you are comfortable with the price... If the price drops and you are eligible for a refund, then take it.

We loved our Alaska trip, and regardless of how much more I paid vs last minute prices we would not change a thing.

We booked last weekend for Sept 2014. Pretty good price, albeit inside, and $30 less pp than direct from NCL. But I had also looked very short term, same cruise sailing 9/2/2013 and that was almost $200 pp less than what we paid. Can't wait until I am able to do things like that on short notice.

I have been on many cruises to the caribbean but planning 1st to alaska. I usually book way in advance but noticed some good prices waiting till last minute. Am I better off booking early or getting a deal last minute?

I've been seeing these deals also! I want to do the NCL Pearl r/t Seattle in Aug.14 and although I'm willing to book the o/v now - I'd love to get the rates that I've seen over the past month for departures w/in 2 weeks at 1/2 the regular price!

I do live close enough airfare isn't an issue- so it's tempting to wait. But I'd hate for the 2014 season to be so booked these deals don't happen at all!

Looks like its unanimous. I'm sailing on the Jewel next Aug. and looked carefully at this years cruises. I went thru the booking process on the NCL website on some of this years discounted, last minute cruises and the rooms available were not good. Pretty picked over. It convinced me to book early and choose the room I wanted. If you can afford a suite, booking early gets you a $300 per room credit to use on the ship.

Happy Sailing

Archived