Live from silversea explorer Churchill to kangerlussauq Aug 25-Sept 8 2013

RachelG

Day 15--September 8, 2013-- disembarkation at kangerlussauq Greenland

I posted early yesterday as I knew we would be entering a fjord , and I was not sure how good our Internet connection would be. As it turned out, it was fine, but anyway.

There is a long fjord that leads to the town of kangerlussauq, if you can call it that. About 800 people live here year round, but it started out as a US military base in 1942. The US Air Force ran it until 1992 when it was given back to Greenland for $1.00. They built an airbase with a very long runway, thus the importance for us today as it is the only place a large plane can land.

The fjord was absolutely beautiful. Glaciers and moraine on each side. We sailed up during dinner so had astounding scenery on each side to accompany our meal. And northern lights to top things off on our last night.

Yes, Leslie, disembarkation by zodiac is quite interesting. The crew was up very early unloading the luggage on zodiacs to take to shore. We were called by groups starting at 8 am. Lots of help with our hand luggage by the crew with Albert being right there to wish us farewell. Fortunately the water in the fjord was very still, though silty, and no wind. We had a quite smooth ride to shore where we were able to step onto a floating jetty.

Buses of all types were there to carry us-a true large tour bus, a tundra buggy type bus, a school bus and a crew bus from the fire department. They recruited everything available.

We went on a tour of about an hour up the mountains to look for musk ox. We didn't find any as this is hunting season for musk ox and reindeer. Apparently they are like deer in Oklahoma. You see them all over until the first day of hunting season when they miraculously disappear.

But we did see beautiful countryside with large mountains and rock carved by glaciers, and a very large glacier visible in the distance. It is quite dry here unlike previous areas we have been. Apparently winters are not as harsh wither because the willows actually are able to form small trees rather than just bushes. They were quite beautiful, with leaves turning brilliant yellow for fall.

We arrived at the amazingly modern and comfortable airport terminal and checked in for our 4 1/2 hr flight to Copenhagen aboard transavia, a Dutch charter airline. Not sure why they decided to do this route rather than just fly us to Reykjavik which is a lot closer. But ok--especially since I can fly from Copenhagen to tulsa using miles, which I would not have been able to do from Reykjavik.

Sitting in admirals club at LHR waiting for our flight home. It was a good trip though I really wish the weather had been better. But George got to see places he really wanted to visit, and the polar bear sightings were excellent, way better than at Svalbard.

Of course, one of the best things about the trip was the great people we got to meet. We will definitely stay in touch with several.

The other best thing was the crew onboard silver explorer. We love Albert, Dominic, and Anna in the dining room. They were all old friends from previous cruises, but we met new members who we really enjoyed as well, especially Eileen who always had a sparkling smile.

The expedition staff was great. Stefan, Chris, and Karolina again were old friends, but We loved getting to know Franz and Colleen as well.

Our butler Ivy and steward Byron were amazing, and seemed to know what we needed or wanted before we said it, and almost before we thought it. Everything from keeping the fridge stocked only with diet coke to having George's crackers for him to snack on to drying out my shoes and gloves.

The staff at the front desk was also probably the best I have encountered on any cruise, especially Begonia, who seemed able to fix any problem and remembers everything.

I promised I would watch the food sanitation issues. I did not see any egregious lapses. The temperature of the soup at the buffet was a couple of times a little less than I personally thought it should be, but I didn't have a thermometer to measure it. Also you do serve yourself at the buffet, so there is a potential for contamination I suppose, but this is not a health code violation (at least yet).

Leftover food often appeared in another form later--the artichoke appetizer was an artichoke salad the next day, roast beef appeared in a stew the next day, etc. totally safe as long as things have been refrigerated, and I would rather see this than growing good food away. Everything appeared very clean, and the crew appeared to constantly be cleaning.

Perfect end to the trip-- the upgrade angel struck at LHR, and we were upgraded from business class to first on AA. I had a great sleep on the flight.

That sound a great finish to a great adventure.

BTW, I read this in our daily newspaper today.

"A man in Churchill, Manitoba had a lucky escape when he was charged by a 400lb polar bear early in the morning. It pinned him to the door of a bakery and began to maul him when he pulled out his telephone and held up the lit screen to its face. The startled bear released Mr Kolson momentarily and he was able to flee.

The animal was captured later in the day and taken to the provincial polar bear jail, which has 28 holding cells for stray bears."

You will have seen the background to all of this.

Never come between a bear and his early morning croissant.

Maybe he wanted a Coke to go with it - like those commercials?

RachelG, great travelogue. Enjoyed hearing about your trip and wish we were there... Would love to see pictures!

Archived