Ketchikan bus to Totem Bight.

DaveOKC

I have sen several people mention catching the bus to Totem Bight Park. Can anyone give me the directions on how to do this (which bus, cost, where to catch it, how close to the Park does it go, etc).

DaveOKC

maps and schedule are on the Ketchikan bus web site:

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/bus/BusRoute.htm

That link still takes you to the old bus schedule. My understanding is that they revamped all the routes this summer and it's different. We were there July 2 and I think they literally changed it the next day. As to cost, it is $1.00 per person each way, or $2.00 for an all day pass. It drops you off right in the parking lot of the Totem Park. You can catch the bus at various spots in town, but I think those may have changed since that linked schedule was posted. We caught it in front of the library and were glad we did because by the time it got to the dock area it was standing room only.

That link still takes you to the old bus schedule. My understanding is that they revamped all the routes this summer and it's different. We were there July 2 and I think they literally changed it the next day. As to cost, it is $1.00 per person each way, or $2.00 for an all day pass. It drops you off right in the parking lot of the Totem Park. You can catch the bus at various spots in town, but I think those may have changed since that linked schedule was posted. We caught it in front of the library and were glad we did because by the time it got to the dock area it was standing room only.
You are right! They changed it the very next day.

Here is a link to the explanation of the changes that have been made and the new green and silver bus schedules, with maps.

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/bus/documents/NewScheduleJuly3.pdf

When you go to Totem Bight, don't forget to visit Potlatch Park as well, right next door.

They may still have half price for seniors on the bus, so ask if you are eligible.

Last time we went it was only 50 cents for seniors, the best bargain "Alaska excursion" of all. :D

The bus is a great way to see the two parks. It is an excellent way to get out of the tourist area and see some of the Ketchikan countryside. The two parks are very relaxed. Also, they provide lots of room for kids to run off some energy. They have a nice waterfront location.

You can stop on the way back at Walmart and pick up any water, soda or other needs.

• 6 months later...
You are right! They changed it the very next day.

Here is a link to the explanation of the changes that have been made and the new green and silver bus schedules, with maps.

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/bus/documents/NewScheduleJuly3.pdf

When you go to Totem Bight, don't forget to visit Potlatch Park as well, right next door.

They may still have half price for seniors on the bus, so ask if you are eligible.

Last time we went it was only 50 cents for seniors, the best bargain "Alaska excursion" of all. :D

Thank you so much for finding & posting the updated schedule! :)

We have taken the local transit bus out to Totem Bight but it is important to remember that this is not a tour, once out there you are on your own in terms of what you are seeing. On one occasion we were fortunate to tag a long behind a tour so we were able to understand what we were looking at. This was not a huge thing for us as we rather understand what we are looking at with regard to totems but it was useful inside of the clan long house.

I would like to know which stop # on the bus route to catch the bus to Totem Bight? How far is the stop from the dock? Thank you.

We have caught the bus (green line) at stop #14 which is on Front St. and Grant on the town side of the tunnel.

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/bus/documents/NewBusScheduleNov29.pdf

We have caught the bus (green line) at stop #14 which is on Front St. and Grant on the town side of the tunnel.

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/bus/documents/NewBusScheduleNov29.pdf

Putterdude - you are so good at providing information, but I think you are wrong on this one! The way I red the NEW schedule, you have to take the Silver line.

If I am wrong, someone PLEASE correct me, as I plan on doing this in about 5 weeks.

DaveOKC

They changed the bus routes last July. This November schedule doesn't seem to change the Silver line to Totem Bight since that last change in July. But the notice says, "There is always room for improvement and we welcome your input as we take the time during this winter season to conduct surveys and analyze the routes in preparation for the 2014 summer season." I take it this means they might change the routes in the summer, so you'll just have to keep checking :(

Putterdude - you are so good at providing information, but I think you are wrong on this one! The way I red the NEW schedule, you have to take the Silver line.

If I am wrong, someone PLEASE correct me, as I plan on doing this in about 5 weeks.

DaveOKC

It would appear that you are correct as to the colour of the line....I don't have notes and when I looked at the map this morning I didn't look at the map close enough.