Can I buy drinks package onboard mid cruise and only pay for remaining days?

pam2013

I'm having difficulty finding an answer to this. I contacted the Celebrity helpline and was told I could buy the drinks packages on board but only for the full duration, however I have read on some threads that some people have purchased packages several days into their cruise and paid a prorata rate for the remainder days on the cruise. I'd preface not to buy the package from day 1 so I can work out if it is personally worth it for me or not.

Has anyone done this recently? We will be sailing on the Reflection in a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

Yes you can. I've done it. I purchased our first package (non-alcoholic premium) around the 5th morning of a 15 night cruise last year. The person I purchased from even had a card that had a table on it showing the price for each package on each day of the cruise.

When they say that you must buy for the full duration they mean that you must buy for the entire remaining portion of the cruise and not just selected days. If you purchase in advance or on embarkation day this means the entire cruise. If you purchase after the first night on board this means for all of the remaining nights.

In fact the packages are heavily promoted on board and are on sale until two or three days before the end of your cruise.

Edited by Lsimon

Although all the board comments I have read and replies to this post indicate that buying on-board mid-cruise for the rest of the duration of the cruise, the price would be calculated for the remaining days left only, the information from the Celebrity Cruises UK facebook page contradicts this completely. Here is the conversation thread:

My Question: Going on a Celebrity Reflection cruise soon. Can we buy the drinks packages when on board several days into the cruise, on a pro-rata basis, so for example if we buy the package on day 3 we only pay for the remaining days?

Celebrity Cruises UK Hi Pam, thank you for your message. Drinks packages can be booked onboard, but they will be for the full duration of your cruise and cannot be issued for a set number of days. Thanks, Celebrity Cruises

August 30 at 10:45am

My Reply: Thanks for the reply. So just to be clear, if for example on an 11 night cruise I decide to purchase the premium package on day 4, how much would I be charged: (a) 11 nights x $62.10 so $683.10 or (b) 8 nights x $62.10 so $496.80 (which would be the full remainder of the cruise from day 4) ?

August 30 at 11:02am

Celebrity Cruises UK Hi Pam, you would be charged for the full length of the cruise of 11 nights. Thanks, Celebrity Cruises

September 2 at 10:37am

Could the rules have changed recently?

Although all the board comments I have read and replies to this post indicate that buying on-board mid-cruise for the rest of the duration of the cruise, the price would be calculated for the remaining days left only, the information from the Celebrity Cruises UK facebook page contradicts this completely. Here is the conversation thread:
My Question: Going on a Celebrity Reflection cruise soon. Can we buy the drinks packages when on board several days into the cruise, on a pro-rata basis, so for example if we buy the package on day 3 we only pay for the remaining days?

Celebrity Cruises UK Hi Pam, thank you for your message. Drinks packages can be booked onboard, but they will be for the full duration of your cruise and cannot be issued for a set number of days. Thanks, Celebrity Cruises

August 30 at 10:45am

My Reply: Thanks for the reply. So just to be clear, if for example on an 11 night cruise I decide to purchase the premium package on day 4, how much would I be charged: (a) 11 nights x $62.10 so $683.10 or (b) 8 nights x $62.10 so $496.80 (which would be the full remainder of the cruise from day 4) ?

August 30 at 11:02am

Celebrity Cruises UK Hi Pam, you would be charged for the full length of the cruise of 11 nights. Thanks, Celebrity Cruises

September 2 at 10:37am

Could the rules have changed recently?

You've gotten the answer repeatedly from everyone here with no contradictions from people who have actually tried this on the ship.

You really have nothing to lose with this. Just ask someone on embarkation day if you can buy in a couple days at a prorated price or not. The on board staff will tell you the same thing we are: It can be bought on board and the price will be prorated. If you were to hear otherwise and are told that you must pay for all 11 days then you can buy it then if you'd like and you won't miss out on any days at all.

I think all this stems from the poorly worded policy and FAQ that has not only left future passengers, like you, confused about this but is just as confusing to the shore based customer service staff who haven't had actual experience with this on board. The only reason I'm so certain about this is because I've actually been on board and done it and also because I've read comments from others on this forum who have had the same experience as me.

Edited by Lsimon

Further to what others have posted, you cannot purchase the package if there are less than 3 days of your cruise remaining.

On our recent Infinity cruise whilst we were sitting at the pool bar on the last day of the cruise, a passenger enquired about purchasing the premium package for the 1 remaining day of the cruise. The bartender had to call his supervisor to ask if this could be done and the passenger was advised that if he wanted to go ahead he would be charged for 3 days even though there was only 1 day of the cruise remaining as this was the minimum allowed.

The passenger opted to continue paying for his drinks individually.

Thanks Larry. I did get the feeling they were being deliberately evasive to my actual question by saying 'cannot be issued for a set number of days' so that was why I persisted with my detailed a/b scenario.

I can't help but be cynical and think that it is intentional that they would want people to believe the only option is to pay for the full package. It is a pity, as it does seem to be deliberately misleading which is a shame, as now I have a slightly negative view of Celebrity before I have even been on one of their ships.

Pam.

I am not so sure it was deliberate; more than likely the person was simply misinformed. I would not let something like this sour my views towards a cruise line.

And may not have actually ever been on a Celebrity cruise, but it certainly looks bad when you actually put a wrong answer in writing.

Check to see if your cruise qualifies for the pick a perk promotion....one choice is the classic drink package. Cheers!

PS. The drink package is so nice...it's not only alcohol drinks, but the nice coffees and teas, soda, etc.

I can't help but be cynical and think that it is intentional that they would want people to believe the only option is to pay for the full package. It is a pity, as it does seem to be deliberately misleading which is a shame, as now I have a slightly negative view of Celebrity before I have even been on one of their ships.

Pam.

I agree with you. I think they are trying to "coerce" you into buying the complete package before you embark. The info on the Celebrity website also directly contradicts what everyone with Celebrity sailing experience says. I think I am going to wait until I get on board to decide...maybe:rolleyes:.

I agree with you. I think they are trying to "coerce" you into buying the complete package before you embark. The info on the Celebrity website also directly contradicts what everyone with Celebrity sailing experience says. I think I am going to wait until I get on board to decide...maybe:rolleyes:.

Hi,

It has always been poorly written on the Celebrity website...but it used to be easier to get the answer...as it WAS one of the FAQ's on the site.

Here is how it was answered on the Celebrity website previously (before they revamped the FAQ Section...which has been revamped yet again recently !) Maybe one day they will add it back as an FAQ when another revamp is done...or change the wording in the Package Info Section !?:rolleyes:

Can I purchase a beverage package for a portion of my cruise?

It can be purchased on board up until there are two nights left in the cruise and must be purchased for the remainder of the voyage. (this was copied from the website...and saved in my "favorites"...as it is a frequently asked question on here).

Woody

Edited by rwr235

I sent a message to my bar tender friend on Silhouette. He says of course you can buy for remaining days. Minimum purchase of 3 days.

There had not been a change....unless they forgot to tell him, so he will still sell you one.

Edited by helpthejuggler

We booked about a month ago, My TA informed us yesterday that there was a new perk option and that could choose the classic drink package, we jumped at it, great perk, looking forward to having specialty coffees etc.

Will decide when we get on board if we want to upgrade to the premium package

Eileen

Yes you can. I've done it. I purchased our first package (non-alcoholic premium) around the 5th morning of a 15 night cruise last year. The person I purchased from even had a card that had a table on it showing the price for each package on each day of the cruise.

When they say that you must buy for the full duration they mean that you must buy for the entire remaining portion of the cruise and not just selected days. If you purchase in advance or on embarkation day this means the entire cruise. If you purchase after the first night on board this means for all of the remaining nights.

In fact the packages are heavily promoted on board and are on sale until two or three days before the end of your cruise.

Wow, is that for every ship? Have cruised with Celebrity and never saw it on sale and never saw it for sale after day of embarkation. Maybe this is something new? Have been trying to figure out if it is practical. Just got off of RC Brilliance. Of the seas and trying to remember what the prices were for a glass of wine and a mixed drink, example bourbon and water?

Wow, is that for every ship? Have cruised with Celebrity and never saw it on sale and never saw it for sale after day of embarkation. Maybe this is something new? Have been trying to figure out if it is practical. Just got off of RC Brilliance. Of the seas and trying to remember what the prices were for a glass of wine and a mixed drink, example bourbon and water?

I do not know what the policy is on RCL as their policies and their beverage package program is different from Celebrity. But we've seen the packages on sale and being promoted on every Celebrity sailing we've been on since the beverage packages were introduced several years ago.

The prices of wine sold by the glass will vary from around $5.50 up to $12, with a few even higher than that. I'm, not sure about the price of basic mixed drinks but believe they are around $7 (and definitely $8 or under) for basic well and call brands of spirits and a few dollars more for most top shelf brands of spirits.

We booked about a month ago, My TA informed us yesterday that there was a new perk option and that could choose the classic drink package, we jumped at it, great perk, looking forward to having specialty coffees etc.

Will decide when we get on board if we want to upgrade to the premium package

Eileen

Is it on sale? I will Check my cruise.

• 1 year later...

We have done this on purpose to save a few dollars in the past. Usually the first night we are kind of tired from traveling and such and take it easy. We know we aren't going to drink much the first night. So we wait until day 2 of the trip to purchase ours. The funny part is we didn't think of it, a carnival bartender suggested it to us because we asked about purchasing there soda package around 9pm the first night of the cruise some years ago.

Edited by TPACruisers