QM2 Has Five Swimming Pools?? 15 Restaurants??

Leucothea

Here was a headliner on MSN in the UK under "...World's most luxurious cruise ships", regarding QM2:

"Better known as the QM2, this was the first major cruiseliner built since its Queen Elizabeth II predecessor and is as luxurious as large scale gets. We’re talking 15 top-notch restaurants, a ballroom, theatre, planetarium, library stocked with over 8,000 books and five swimming pools (including one that can be covered under a retractable glass roof in poor weather).

With its 2,620-passenger capacity the QM2 is the largest ship featured in this list and is a great option for families eager to experience a transatlantic cruise. Passengers keen on thoroughbred luxury will feel most at home in the range-topping Grill Suites."

15 top-notch restaurants? Huh?

Five swimming pools?

Does this compute? Can anyone tell me where all the pools are and where are there 15 restaurants (and top notch is really pushing it for the King's Court)?

And "thoroughbred luxury"? Come on.

Five swimming pools?

Deck 13 "Splash Pool"

Deck 12 "Pavilion Pool"

Deck 8 "Terrace Pool"

Deck 7 "Spa Pool"

Deck 6 "Minnows Pool"

Now, one could argue you can't "swim" in two of them ;) .

(There is also a second (tiny, circular) "Splash Pool" on Deck 6.. so that would make 6 pools... ;) )

As for 15 restaurants... I'm going to have to think about this one... :D .

As for 15 restaurants... I'm going to have to think about this one... :D .
I've thought of 15 "places where one can eat"... but not restaurants.

Certainly not "top-notch" restaurants.

In no particular order...

Boardwalk Cafe.

Britannia Rest.

Queens Grill.

Princess Grill.

The Carvery.

La Piazza.

Lotus.

Chefs Galley.

Todd English.

Britannia Club Rest.

Golden Lion.

Queens Room.

Sir Samuels.

Queens Grill Lounge.

Winter Garden.

(The sound you can hear is me scraping the bottom of the barrel to get a few of these ;) ).

Those of us who have been on the Behind the Scenes Tour were sworn to secrecy... but in light of this publicity I can now reveal that the 10 additional restaurants are located in the lower hull decks and only those passengers with watertight door certification are invited to dine there.

Dress: Swimsuit (in case of emergency flooding of the said watertight compartment)

Maybe they are counting all the Kings Court buffet restaurants, (3 plus kings court even though they don't all operate at once) so that's four, Britannia up, Britannia down, that's six, I'm on a roll. Then Princess. Queens. The Pub. That's nine. Todd English. The coffee shop? Queens Room. That's 12!

Dammit. Too slow compiling the list. :)

Those of us who have been on the Behind the Scenes Tour were sworn to secrecy... but in light of this publicity I can now reveal that the 10 additional restaurants are located in the lower hull decks...
Are these provided so that those who row, don't have far to go?

One day you too will be called to man the stabilisers in high seas. Clearly you will need a decent feed before doing so. :eek:
Thank you Louise D, I had no idea the stabilisers were manually operated. I can almost hear the instuctions being shouted down now... " 'ere you lot, all lean on the inboard shaft of the starboard aft stabiliser, someone in Queens Grill nearly spilt their martini".

(And I always need a decent feed... ;) )

Thank you Louise D, I had no idea the stabilisers were manually operated. I can almost hear the instuctions being shouted down now... " 'ere you lot, all lean on the inboard shaft of the starboard aft stabiliser, someone in Queens Grill nearly spilt their martini".

Or worse still, spearing myself in the head from a sudden judder while arranging the tiara.

Or worse still, spearing myself in the head from a sudden judder while arranging the tiara.
We cannot have that! :eek: . I trust that you sent special instructions to those manning the stabilisers, for the time when you were dressing each evening, for the ship to be kept esp. stable, via the captain?

We cannot have that! :eek: . I trust that you sent special instructions to those manning the stabilisers, for the time when you were dressing each evening, for the ship to be kept esp. stable, via the captain?

We have it on good authority that I have no need to fear such accidents unless I am in the South Atlantic or the Arctic.

In fact, the Commodore is radiant with joy at the fuel savings to be made now that he has seen the light and can dispense with stabilisers in the North Atlantic.

We have it on good authority that I have no need to fear such accidents unless I am in the South Atlantic or the Arctic.

In fact, the Commodore is radiant with joy at the fuel savings to be made now that he has seen the light and can dispense with stabilisers in the North Atlantic.

Ha ha ha.. :D

But Louise! You forgot to disguise your opinion as a question. :eek:

Ohhhh, I HATE it when that happens!

Ha ha ha..

But Louise! You forgot to disguise your opinion as a question.

I'm not sure, but didn't you mean to ask Louise if she should have disguised her opinion?

We have it on good authority that I have no need to fear such accidents unless I am in the South Atlantic or the Arctic. In fact, the Commodore is radiant with joy at the fuel savings to be made now that he has seen the light and can dispense with stabilisers in the North Atlantic.
Of course, silly me. With no actual experience to draw on, in my opinion, I was guessing (question).

I am afraid that I am not a master of dissimulation.;)
Thankfully the master of the vessel knows the oceans of the world, the sea conditions, the currents, the weather, and knows when the stabilisers might be needed. And when they are not.

Issues with Tiaras are taken into account I'm sure :) ;) .

Back on topic, does'nt the crew have at least two restaurants? I believe they have a pool as well. The count mounts.:eek::D
I've also heard reports of a crew pool from some crew members, but that was denied by another when I asked about it :confused: . But given that much smaller vessels have a small "crew only" pool on the bow, I would think that a ship as large as QM2 does have an indoor crew pool.

I've also heard reports of a crew pool from some crew members, but that was denied by another when I asked about it. But given that much smaller vessels have a small "crew only" pool on the bow, I would think that a ship as large as QM2 does have an indoor crew pool.

They would have no reason to deny its existence - if it did exist. QM2 crew quarters however have ensuite bathrooms and no more than two crew members per cabin. Quite a difference in privacy compared to many other ships, including the QE2, which often have 4 per cabin and facilities down the hall.

Maybe they are counting all the Kings Court buffet restaurants, (3 plus kings court even though they don't all operate at once) so that's four, Britannia up, Britannia down, that's six, I'm on a roll. Then Princess. Queens. The Pub. That's nine. Todd English. The coffee shop? Queens Room. That's 12!

Dammit. Too slow compiling the list. :)

And don't forget (easy since it's so seldom open) Boardwalk Cafe.

Roy

They would have no reason to deny its existence - if it did exist. QM2 crew quarters however have ensuite bathrooms and no more than two crew members per cabin. Quite a difference in privacy compared to many other ships, including the QE2, which often have 4 per cabin and facilities down the hall.

The crew accommodation is mostly 2 to a cabin, but 2 cabins share a bathroom.

Archived