Bummer. Hate new wine rule

lovin_retirement

All those jumping to Princess, good luck. You can use all the money you save on wine and give it to your chiropractor,for sleeping on a crappy uncomfortable mattress for the entire cruise.

No more wine to tote... Just an egg crate

Hmmm. We are 4 Star Mariners and do enjoy cruising HA (will be on the Veendam for 28 days next month) and their nice bedding. But we are also Elite on Princess and have never had any problem with their bedding. Yes, we have seen some of the posts about the Princess bedding, but we always found their beds comfy. This is just one of those different strokes kind of things. That is why the mattress stores have many different mattresses.

Would we choose Princess because of the wine situation? No. But we might choose Princess because we love their Caribe Deck balconies (on Grand Class ships), the fact that there is some life on their ships after 10pm, that we can go to their Lido nearly 24 hours a day, that they have the best pizza at sea, that they have much better entertainment then what we get on most HA cruises, that they no longer allow smoking on balconies, etc etc. I say all this because cruise decisions for us are not based on a single factor, but a combination of many factors. The new HA wine policy is just one more factor...although we wine lovers might say its one more nail in the HA coffin. And once that coffin is nailed shut ........

Hank

European cruises are not the only cruises that visit great wine areas.

South America, Australia and New Zealand have wonderful wines and we've enjoyed bringing those wines on board with us when we cruised those areas. Next April we are sailing the Oosterdam out of Sydney. Unfortunately, the way Hal's wine policy now stands, we won't be able to enjoy those great Australian and New Zealand wines on our balcony or in the dining room.

And what about those who do cruises in other areas but want to enjoy their own wines?

We've done multiple cruises in Europe/Med. and will continue to do so but I don't feel one cruise area should be more entitled than another.

A much more fair approach would be to have a uniform wine policy across the board with a charge levied on every bottle over the alloted 1 per person.

Hmmm. We are 4 Star Mariners and do enjoy cruising HA (will be on the Veendam for 28 days next month) and their nice bedding. But we are also Elite on Princess and have never had any problem with their bedding. Yes, we have seen some of the posts about the Princess bedding, but we always found their beds comfy. This is just one of those different strokes kind of things. That is why the mattress stores have many different mattresses.

Would we choose Princess because of the wine situation? No. But we might choose Princess because we love their Caribe Deck balconies (on Grand Class ships), the fact that there is some life on their ships after 10pm, that we can go to their Lido nearly 24 hours a day, that they have the best pizza at sea, that they have much better entertainment then what we get on most HA cruises, that they no longer allow smoking on balconies, etc etc. I say all this because cruise decisions for us are not based on a single factor, but a combination of many factors. The new HA wine policy is just one more factor...although we wine lovers might say its one more nail in the HA coffin. And once that coffin is nailed shut ........

Hank

Now where is that LIKE button:D

Hank

Hmmm...The mattresses suck. If there's 87 threads on egg crates and how to get one, call ahead, bring one,they just aren't comfortable.

We only go for the itinerary and the great aft wraparound cabins. I have yet to smell any smoke back there, whether from the ship or smokers. We have never bought any wine from HAL, as my wife usually brings one bottle and that lasts for the 7-11 day cruise.

If alcohol became a criteria for us to cruise, we would find a different line that would fulfill that requirement.

My sentiments exactly. I think people are putting WAY too much importance on being able to bring their own wine onboard HAL. There is more to cruising than drinking wine. IMO.

I guess I just don't understand why people who don't care about wine bother to waste their time posting on a wine thread. Seems about as silly as me posting on a smoking thread. I don't smoke, I don't care about smoking and I ignore threads relating to smoking.

Actually, posting on a wine thread if you don't care about wine is even sillier than posting on a smoking thread if you don't care about smoking. You can't really smell the wine wafting over from the next balcony.

i guess i just don't understand why people who don't care about wine bother to waste their time posting on a wine thread. Seems about as silly as me posting on a smoking thread. I don't smoke, i don't care about smoking and i ignore threads relating to smoking.

Actually, posting on a wine thread if you don't care about wine is even sillier than posting on a smoking thread if you don't care about smoking. You can't really smell the wine wafting over from the next balcony.

ThUp.gif.8489d9d25720ff1b20abff09f0ea0dcd.gif

My sentiments exactly. I think people are putting WAY too much importance on being able to bring their own wine onboard HAL. There is more to cruising than drinking wine. IMO.

I agree.

Especially when HAL sells wine onboard.....it is not like you have to give it up for your entire trip. And they also sell liquor and beer. I know the markup is high and some choices are not people's liking, but I am sure there is at least one wine that they sell that you can drink. I understand some European travelers like to bring wine onboard from foreign ports and allowing them to bring a few bottles on would be nice....hope they change that rule. I question the need to bring on large quantities of wine, either at embarkation or in ports......

Archived