Bummer. Hate new wine rule

lovin_retirement

:( Just got the word on the new rule re bringing wine aboard as of Jan. 1, 2014. One of the reasons we book HAL was the Unlimited wine allowance when you board. Booked a Feb 2014 cruise Nov 2012. 10 days with 2 bottles of wine?? I always buy a bottle or 2 from Hal and save mine 4 predinner drinks in the cabin. May have to switch to Princess. At least if u bring extra wine aboard the extras are only charged $10 corkage automatically. Some of the family drink White Zin...HAL charges $42 for a bottle you can buy in the store for less than $10.:mad:

:( Just got the word on the new rule re bringing wine aboard as of Jan. 1, 2014. One of the reasons we book HAL was the Unlimited wine allowance when you board. Booked a Feb 2014 cruise Nov 2012. 10 days with 2 bottles of wine?? I always buy a bottle or 2 from Hal and save mine 4 predinner drinks in the cabin. May have to switch to Princess. At least if u bring extra wine aboard the extras are only charged $10 corkage automatically. Some of the family drink White Zin...HAL charges $42 for a bottle you can buy in the store for less than $10.:mad:

You have plenty of time, switch over to Princess--problem solved!

Emerald Princess has a 10-day Southern Caribbean cruise that departs on February 27, 2014

If this is important to you - do what the rest of us have done - send a letter to HAL (another thread with different addresses) and sign the petition (another thread by surfie girl).

A number of us have also posted on the HAL FB page. The more awareness the better (at least some other cruisers NOT on cruise critic may be alerted).

then, once you have done that - talk with your feet if you so wish. (Or talk with your feet while you are doing it).

If this is important to you - do what the rest of us have done - send a letter to HAL (another thread with different addresses) and sign the petition (another thread by surfie girl).

A number of us have also posted on the HAL FB page. The more awareness the better (at least some other cruisers NOT on cruise critic may be alerted).

then, once you have done that - talk with your feet if you so wish. (Or talk with your feet while you are doing it).

I second that!

Mumsy.

Emerald Princess has a 10-day Southern Caribbean cruise that departs on February 27, 2014

I have taken that 10 Day Emerald Princess itinerary, and it is a great itinerary, and a very nice ship.

Not condoning the snarky "switch to Princess" post, but just in case you take that person's advice, you will not be disappointed.

I have taken that 10 Day Emerald Princess itinerary, and it is a great itinerary, and a very nice ship.

Not condoning the snarky "switch to Princess" post, but just in case you take that person's advice, you will not be disappointed.

For your information, it wasn't intended to be "snarky". I have a good friend who took that same cruise a year ago and loved it.

It's called "alternatives"! That is why we switched to HAL for the past 15 cruises.

Corking is $15 per bottle on Princess. We cruise Princess, HAL, Celebrity, Cunard and NCL.

It will be interesting to see if HAL eventually changes its policy and how well it is enforced.

We are doing a TA next April, we will probably take 4 bottles on and test the system. If we have to keep two for later, that is fine, we plan to spend time in Europe we get off.

That is exactly what we did, AND no smoking on the teak verandas.

HAL is still a great line if you enjoy smoking and like their wine selection.

That is exactly what we did, AND no smoking on the teak verandas.

HAL is still a great line if you enjoy smoking and like their wine selection.

We only go for the itinerary and the great aft wraparound cabins. I have yet to smell any smoke back there, whether from the ship or smokers. We have never bought any wine from HAL, as my wife usually brings one bottle and that lasts for the 7-11 day cruise.

If alcohol became a criteria for us to cruise, we would find a different line that would fulfill that requirement.

The new wine policy needs to be reconsidered for European cruises. Many of us love to go exploring wineries and wine regions when we are in Europe and its natural to buy some local/regional wines ashore to late drink on the ship. We have done this for years on several cruise lines, and at times, we even gave some of our wine to the wine stewards so they could taste after dinner. HA even runs their own excursions to wineries in places like Bordeaux, Tuscany, Spain, etc. They used to try and get passengers to purchase wine on those excursions for later consumption on the ship. So what happens now? You go on a wine tour, but they must tell you not to purchase wine unless you want it stored onboard to take home? Give me a break.

Hank

We did step 1 and step 2, received the same stock answer everyone else got, do not think the petition will resolve anything, so we went to step 3 and booked with Princess for our Asia cruise.

The new wine policy needs to be reconsidered for European cruises. Many of us love to go exploring wineries and wine regions when we are in Europe and its natural to buy some local/regional wines ashore to late drink on the ship. We have done this for years on several cruise lines, and at times, we even gave some of our wine to the wine stewards so they could taste after dinner. HA even runs their own excursions to wineries in places like Bordeaux, Tuscany, Spain, etc. They used to try and get passengers to purchase wine on those excursions for later consumption on the ship. So what happens now? You go on a wine tour, but they must tell you not to purchase wine unless you want it stored onboard to take home? Give me a break.

Hank

I totally agree Hank - I know there has been humour made of those on European cruises concerned about this by a cruiser or two - but it is a very valid concern IMO. I think HAL moved far too quickly and could have done a bit of thinking and researching before they brought this out.

I am in hopes (probably dreaming) that something will change. I can't fathom going to France, Spain and other fantastic wine ports and not being able to enjoy it.

I totally agree Hank - I know there has been humour made of those on European cruises concerned about this by a cruiser or two - but it is a very valid concern IMO. I think HAL moved far too quickly and could have done a bit of thinking and researching before they brought this out.

I am in hopes (probably dreaming) that something will change. I can't fathom going to France, Spain and other fantastic wine ports and not being able to enjoy it.

I'm glad we have a reprieve for our upcoming NA TA cruise...but if HAL does not modify the new policy, it'll be the last one we book with HAL.

All those jumping to Princess, good luck. You can use all the money you save on wine and give it to your chiropractor,for sleeping on a crappy uncomfortable mattress for the entire cruise.

No more wine to tote... Just an egg crate

You have a very good point there, Wakepatrol....

All those jumping to Princess, good luck. You can use all the money you save on wine and give it to your chiropractor,for sleeping on a crappy uncomfortable mattress for the entire cruise.

No more wine to tote... Just an egg crate

I was on princess in April. The mattress was fine. Some of them aren't the best on some ships. My guess is that people will complain but very few will leave.

We have cruised a lot on Princess and always sleep like babies. There is something special about sleeping on a ship.

We have one TA booked on HAL for October. We booked with HAL specifically because we could bring wine aboard in Italy, Spain and Portugal. If they don't modify their policy, this will be our last HAL cruise. I don't mind paying a corkage fee but won't sail on a ship where we can't bring our own wine on board.

Archived