Nordam skips Israel

NoobCruise

I cannot think of many ports to skip which will anger pax more than the Holy Land which is often a very big deal to those on the cruise. However, they're willing to go to Turkey which is actually at war with some of these countries and may join in the attack on Syria.

I cannot think of many ports to skip which will anger pax more than the Holy Land which is often a very big deal to those on the cruise. However, they're willing to go to Turkey which is actually at war with some of these countries and may join in the attack on Syria.

Before you start commenting on the situation in the Middle East, I suggest you do your homework and background re-search.

Turkey even though a member of Nato is not, I repeat not at war with Syria at this moment in time.

There's been several threads in the last week speculating whether the situation in Syria would effect itineraries. Just saw this

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5508

Edit: Sorry, just spotted the other thread where it's already being discussed.

I wonder if people got the chance to cancel if they really wanted to visit Israel.

Before you start commenting on the situation in the Middle East, I suggest you do your homework and background re-search.

Turkey even though a member of Nato is not, I repeat not at war with Syria at this moment in time.

...and to add, the cruise line is not trying to make a political statement. They are only concerned with the safety of pax, crew, and vessel.

I wonder if people got the chance to cancel if they really wanted to visit Israel.

If someone cancels after final payment, they are in penalty period.

Cruise lines have unilateral contractual right to cancel any and all ports for any reason.

Safety of crew, ship and guests seems like a good reason.

Avoiding potentially being in the path of rockets seems like a good idea to me but what do I know?!

i think you'll find turkey is not actually at war with anyone ...

We were very happy to see all the 'hot button' ports

on the Grand Med 2013.

We had absolutely no problem :

Overnight in Israel,

Overnight in Morocco (not really a hot button)

Cairo & Port Said -

Cyprus

Istanbul

and all the ports in the Med.

Wish they could have spent time in Israel - great 2 days.

It was probably not even HAL's decision, although they went along with it. It was probably the company(s) that insure the ship and the Corporation. At least that is who cancelled and caused the itinerary change when we were scheduled to go through the Suez Canal the November after 9/11.

It was probably not even HAL's decision, although they went along with it. It was probably the company(s) that insure the ship and the Corporation. At least that is who cancelled and caused the itinerary change when we were scheduled to go through the Suez Canal the November after 9/11.

It must not be a corporate-wide decision; as was discussed in another thread, some lines that are part of Carnival Corporation (e.g. Costa, AIDA) continue to sail to ports when HAL may cancel.... Which leads one to suspect that insurance isn't the only issue.

HAL is being too cautious for my tastes. I am glad I am not on the Noordam, I would be vexed if I missed a stop in Israel this week. We have been considering three cruises this fall, but won't book a Holland America cruise to Israel if they are going to be this timid.

I'd rather not have an up close and personal view of a tomahawk misslie as part of my tour. I by no means wish to make light of a very serious situation but really folks,,,,,, there could be bombs dropping.

Not to nitpick , but Tomahawks are used by the US and I doubt the US will be bombing Israel any time soon.

That said , I wouldn't feel comfortable traveling in the Middle East in general right now. Turkey ... Maybe . Morroco yes. I have friends who are on a cruise as we speak and they just visited Israel and loved it.

It is a situation that warrants monitoring and caution.

Not to nitpick , but Tomahawks are used by the US and I doubt the US will be bombing Israel any time soon.

That said , I wouldn't feel comfortable traveling in the Middle East in general right now. Turkey ... Maybe . Morroco yes. I have friends who are on a cruise as we speak and they just visited Israel and loved it.

I wasn't speaking literally........:rolleyes:

figuratively, I think you know what I mean. :D

I'm not widely versed in weapons of war. :o And like it just fine that way.

No, U.S. is not likely to bomb Israel.

I wouldn't feel comfortable traveling in the Middle East in general right now.

We should keep in mind, should war break out, PORTS are among the first targets.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I am happy to know our Captain (and HAL and the insurance company) will do their absolute best to steer us clear of danger!

I wasn't speaking literally........:rolleyes:

figuratively, I think you know what I mean. :D

I'm not widely versed in weapons of war. :o And like it just fine that way.

No, U.S. is not likely to bomb Israel.

I know you weren't speaking literally . . As I said , I was nitpicking! I , thankfully , don't know much about weapons either. I had just happened to read an article about Tomahawks , thus my comment. It is sad and sobering that I was reading about Tomahawks . It is sad and sobering that ports are cancelled due to turmoil.

Archived