King's Wharf

travelquick

There is so much to do in Bermuda. The nice thing is that everything can be done on your own safely with a little planning. Since there is no rush to head back to the ship you have no worries about returning by a certain time. The ship for us becomes a floating hotel. Research what Bermuda has to offer, and you may find that 3 days isn't enough. The bus and ferry system can be used to visit the fabulous beaches, the historic town of St. George, or the shopping district of Hamilton.

I was there on 8/11. Get the 2-3 Day Ferry/Bus pass. 2 days is $25. Horseshoe Bay is a 25 minute bus ride. There are also ferries right there to Hamilton(20 minute ride) and St. George's (40 minute ride). No reason to pay NCL $30 each for the Horseshoe Bay transfer!!

Have fun

What's the best way to get from St. George to Hamilton? Ferry or bus?

Thanks.

Ferry is direct and faster than bus.

Bonnie

There is no direct scheduled ferry service between St George and Hamilton. All ferries from St George go directly to the Dockyard, and from there they may continue to Hamilton after unloading and picking up passengers.

So the travel time breakdown would be: 40 minute ferry ride St George to Dockyard; unloading and picking up passengers at the Dockyard - 20 minutes (SWAG); Dockyard to Hamilton ferry ride, 20 minutes. Total time = 80 minutes.

Route #10 or #11 bus from St George to Hamilton travel time 50 minutes.

So the correct answer is the bus, but a taxi is faster then both.

SBtS

There is no direct scheduled ferry service between St George and Hamilton. All ferries from St George go directly to the Dockyard, and from there they may continue to Hamilton after unloading and picking up passengers.

Oops, in my head I saw dockyard and St. Georges lol. Sorry about that, I'll go back to sleep. lol.

Bonnie

• 4 months later...

WOW,,, I have done the daily stop and goes; Mexico, Europe, Florida; I like stopping and exploring the island.

Being from P.A a trip out of NYC is a good way the go, Sunday to Sunday. And the Breakaway is a nice way to do it.

The great thing about being in 1 port for several days is you can explore as much as you want and not worry about what time you have to return to the ship. We docked in Hamilton on HAL in August 2012 for 4 days. The ship was open 24 hours so you could return any time you wanted. Other posters offered great suggestions for things to do, so I won't repeat them. Get on the bus or ferry and explore the island. I will add, I found the flexible time dining, rather than fixed seating (for those ships that still offer it), was the best dinner option for a multiple day port because we never felt rushed to return to the ship at a specified time.

Thank you to all for the great information regarding things to do while in Bermuda. Very helpful!

I haven't been to Bermuda since the 80's and will be returning this summer aboard the Breakaway. I am still doing a lot of research on these boards to help plan our vacation. After reading some reviews from last year I did see a lot of construction going on in King's Wharf, where we will be docked.

My question is, how far along will the construction be by the time we arrive in July, or, has it been completed?

Also, thank you to the person who posted the info on horseback riding on the south shore! I never would have known about it without this thread because NCL does not offer any horseback riding excursions.

Thank you in advance.

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Thank you to all for the great information regarding things to do while in Bermuda. Very helpful!

I haven't been to Bermuda since the 80's and will be returning this summer aboard the Breakaway. I am still doing a lot of research on these boards to help plan our vacation. After reading some reviews from last year I did see a lot of construction going on in King's Wharf, where we will be docked.

My question is, how far along will the construction be by the time we arrive in July, or, has it been completed?

Also, thank you to the person who posted the info on horseback riding on the south shore! I never would have known about it without this thread because NCL does not offer any horseback riding excursions.

Thank you in advance.

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Not sure what construction you're referring to, but if it's the rebuilding of Heritage Wharf to accommodate the Breakaway (that is where the Breakaway docks, not Kings Wharf, despite what NCL tells you on their itineraries), that was completed last year.

AWESOME information everyone! Thanks! We're going on my husband's first cruise (my 2nd) to Bermuda in september and I have pretty much planned each day based on my own research and on your posts. (was happily surprised to see the post about FUN GOLF...sounds like a fun time after dinner!)

Thank you all for your input! I actually CHOSE this trip BECAUSE of the "one port" advantage of it. There's so much to do, we'll never do all we'd like. We'll just have to go back! hahahaa

Hey Everyone,

Sorry if this has already been answered and I missed it.... I'm trying to see if it will be possible for me and my family to do a little shopping while in Bermuda this June. Our Ship is only docked for one day, from 8am to 4pm, and we are doing an excursion from 8 to 1:30pm.

Is 2 1/2 hour enough time to make it to Front street from King's Wharf, shop, and back again?

Would you recommend a ferry or taxi?

Cost and time of both?

Thanks for any and all help you could give:)

Hey Everyone,

Sorry if this has already been answered and I missed it.... I'm trying to see if it will be possible for me and my family to do a little shopping while in Bermuda this June. Our Ship is only docked for one day, from 8am to 4pm, and we are doing an excursion from 8 to 1:30pm.

Is 2 1/2 hour enough time to make it to Front street from King's Wharf, shop, and back again?

Would you recommend a ferry or taxi?

Cost and time of both?

Thanks for any and all help you could give:)

I would say, forget about it!

Reasons why:

• You have to be back on board 30 minutes before departure;
  • One way by taxi from the Dockyard to Hamilton is 35-40 minutes;
  • One way by ferry from the Dockyard to Hamilton is 20 minutes, but the ferry only departs the Dockyard once per hour and about the same when departing Hamilton;
  • A ferry departs the Dockyard at 1:30pm, the next at 2:30PM;
  • A ferry departs Hamilton at 3:00pm, the next at 4:00PM.

Cost:

• Taxi, one way to Hamilton, 4 passengers - $38.00. This was the 2013 fare, but there was approved a 25% increase in fares.
  • Ferry, one way to Hamilton - $4.00 token per adult

Stay at the Dockyard and shop at the Clocktower Mall, and any shops outside the mall

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...
Where would you buy the bus pass everyone keeps talking about?

Here is a photo of King's Wharf showing where you could buy the Transportation Passes which are good on the bus and ferry:

KingsWharf.jpg

There is also a building on Heritage Wharf (not in the photo) where TPs are also sold plus a building near the ferry dock.

When you exit the cruise ship, you will enter the building on the right.

The buildings are called Visitor Information Centers.

SBtS

Here's a list of some of the things you can do in Bermuda:

Along the South Shore about 30 minutes from Hamilton and 30 minutes from the Dockyard:

• go to the beach, most popular -
    (#7);
  • walk the beach path that connects 5 beaches, start at Horseshoe, end at Warwick Bay (#7);
  • go horseback riding on trails (#8);
  • climb a lighthouse - Gibbs L/H (#7),
  • off the beach snorkeling at
    (not protected), near Horseshoe Bay;

Hamilton, at or nearby:

At or near St George or convenient to when visiting there:

At or near the Dockyard:

Close to the Dockyard but not within walking distance:

Not close to any of the above:

The number (##) following some of the attractions is the bus route that the attraction is closest to.

SBtS

WOW! Thanks for all the great info! We will be docked in August for a day (8am to 4pm) & were looking for things to do since it's one of the ports we haven't been to yet.

Is it safe to assume that things you don't have a number list by are within walking distance of the Dockyard?

I done 6 cruises to Bermuda. After my 1st trip I realized that the best way to see the island is by scooter. But you need good weahter and to be an experienced rider that can handle staying "left". Otherwise go with the bus and ferry pass. Thats way to tame for me. Great place - have fun

WOW! Thanks for all the great info! We will be docked in August for a day (8am to 4pm) & were looking for things to do since it's one of the ports we haven't been to yet.

Is it safe to assume that things you don't have a number list by are within walking distance of the Dockyard?

That would be safe to assume only for those in the list under the heading - At or near the Dockyard: .

SBtS