CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE - Do you book on the Carnival website for best price?

randyinsd

I just booked a cruise on Carnivals website and got to thinking . . . . where do others book travel? Can you get these cruises cheaper elsewhere?

Typically you always get a better deal booking with a travel agent or online cruise broker. We are not permitted to discuss travel sites at Cruise Critic. But, if you google online discount cruise agents you will find many of them.

Jonathan

I always book with a travel agent. I don't get a better price but I do get some kind of a perk (like OBC) and I have a professional to deal with the cruise line if there is a problem.

You do have to be careful because some travel agents charge for cancelling, changes, etc. and, as in any profession, there are ones that are better than others.

You will likely get the same or better rate going directly through carnivals website. Other lines using a travel agent might net you a cheaper rate or more perks. For my most current carnival cruise I got several quotes from TA and they were all higher (around $20 pp for interior). than going directly through carnvial. I don't really care about getting a free cheap bottle of wine or have onboard credit when I pay less cash out of my pocket. Additionally I didn't have to play phone tag with a travel agent to get price adjustments prior to final payment. Just set up to monitor the website for price drops and you will know when they happen. Just get on the phone and 5 minutes later you get the price adjustment.

Of course this may change in the future as it appears they are trying to encourage travel agents to book with carnival again after moving away from that.

For a simple cruise book yourself, if you have more complicated travel plans than a TA might be of some help.

I have shopped the discount sites and travel agents, but you will get the same or better deals with Carnival directly. They will give you a Personal Vacation Planner to handle all your questions/problems and air fare is available directly with them also. You can get transfers to/from the ship to airport or hotels, and even purchase shore excursions in advance if you like. Enjoy your cruising!

Carnival pricing is the same whether you book on their website or through a travel agent. They do not allow discounting. What I have found is you are likely to get a small bonus by booking through a TA. The price will be the same, but they may include an onboard credit or a bottle of wine or a spa credit, etc. I just booked a balcony and my TA is including 2 bottles of wine and a $100 Restaurant.com gift certificate!!!

Typically you always get a better deal booking with a travel agent or online cruise broker. We are not permitted to discuss travel sites at Cruise Critic. But, if you google online discount cruise agents you will find many of them.

Jonathan

I have not found this to be the case at all. The best deals we've gotten were from calling the cruise line directly.

We haven't booked a Carnival cruise with a TA for a long time. Carnival does not allow any TA to charge less than Carnival's price. I think RCCL has the same policy.

The TA we used to use only does cruises. When I asked her if she gives anything to all her customers, she told me - she couldn't afford it. She did give a discount sometimes by lowering her commission for those who booked thru her a lot.

Archived