Pre-Cruise San Juan Hotels

lv2bcruzin

The Caribe Hilton is @ Condado, and is close to OSJ. From a distance perspective, it would be about a 20 minute walk to OSJ from the Caribe, the problem is no sidewalks most of the way and you dont want to walk in the streets on that island. So no you cant walk.

Isla Verde is way out by the airport, has many hotels and an awesome beach.

Edited by snownyet

A bit of history..The Marriott Stellaris Resort, was the old Dupont Plaza Hotel. Scene of the 1986 arson fire which killed 96 people. San Juan is a beautiful place. I always love getting the opportunity to go there.

Gosh, hotels at SJ are pricey! Have only found one below the 100 USD mark, and is nowhere near San Juan or old San Juan. They all start at about 120 dlls.

Im thinking of looking for an apartment through airbnb. Not the same perks of a hotel or resort, but I am on a really tight budget right now. :( If it was a pre-cruise or post-cruise night I wouldnt care or be worried at all. But we are staying 6 nights total, 3 pre and 3 post. We really want to get to see SJ, and maybe go to Culebra or Vieques. One more island to our already port intensive cruise :p

A bit of history..The Marriott Stellaris Resort, was the old Dupont Plaza Hotel. Scene of the 1986 arson fire which killed 96 people. San Juan is a beautiful place. I always love getting the opportunity to go there.

Did not know that. Interesting articles on Internet and Wikipedia. Still my favorite hotel.

This thread is making me reconsider our plan... I have already booked El Convento for our pre-cruise stay in May of next year. We have sailed out of SJ twice, and both times we stayed there, so I just automatically contacted them to book our stay for next year.

Yes - it is pricey, but we just love walking about OSJ in the morning before leaving for the cruise port, and usually try to eat breakfast at La Bombanero (which apparently is reopening) or Cafe Majorca.

I'm thinking I might try seeing what is available elsewhere though, just to save a little $$$, since we are going to be forking out some big $$ on our port stops.

I got confused by the posts about the Hilton, Sheraton and Marriott --- which one has the city bus you can catch to go to OSJ? And where does it let you off once there? How often do the busses run?

thanks for your help,

Ann

There is a bus stop near the Caribe Hilton. Taxi from there to OSJ is only 10.00, we've usually done that for the convenience.

Yes - it is pricey, but we just love walking about OSJ in the morning before leaving for the cruise port, and usually try to eat breakfast at La Bombanero (which apparently is reopening) or Cafe Majorca.

La Bombanera is still closed indefinitely. I just moved here and had it on my list to try, but when I walked by last week it didn't look like it was going to be opening any time soon. :( Cafe Mallorca has got to be my next breakfast stop!

There is a bus stop near the Caribe Hilton. Taxi from there to OSJ is only 10.00, we've usually done that for the convenience.

What is the bus system like in PR? A taxi is $12 to OSJ from the Sheraton, but I think we may be more comfortable with that over the city bus.

• 8 months later...

We stayed at the Embassy Suites pre cruise, it was expensive but the location was great, short ride from airport and to cruise terminal. We walked to the beach and around the local area. There is a happy hour with free drinks and a great breakfast. Everyone at the hotel was helpful

We stayed at the Embassy Suites pre cruise, it was expensive but the location was great, short ride from airport and to cruise terminal. We walked to the beach and around the local area. There is a happy hour with free drinks and a great breakfast. Everyone at the hotel was helpful

What was the cost of the taxi cost to the port?

Seriously considering this hotel as a one night pre cruise stay.

Thanks

Steph

I didn't read all of the other post... However, I have stayed at Da House in Old San Juan twice. ***There is no elevator, and it is above a bar so if those are issues, then don't book it. **** Even though there isn't an elevator, you can select what floor your room is on. You pick the room that you want when you book. Very helpful staff. Clean rooms. We enjoyed it. ($75 to $125 per night).

Anyone stay at the Radisson's? Bid on Priceline for two rooms and cheaper than one room at the Embassy..(got the insurance just in case it is something I don't like)

Love the Embassy too, my first choice.

We too have stayed at Da House. I loved it, but the folks are older and no elevator isn't going to cut it this time. If you're young and don't mind a few stairs this place was beautiful imo. Check out the rooms and "stay away from the party" or in "quiet room" and you shouldn't have any issues.

Steph

What was the cost of the taxi cost to the port?

Seriously considering this hotel as a one night pre cruise stay.

Thanks

Steph

Should be around $19, plus $1 per bag extra.

Steph, my mom wanted the room on the top floor because of the view. I warned her and she booked it anyway. We were glad not to lug luggage farther than the 3rd floor as my dad grumbled. LOL. I think it's a great place and right in the heart of Old Town.

Lots of great info...what pricing did you do on priceline in the 4 star category for either the Embassy Suites,etc.? Never used Priceline before...like all trying to save a few $$ for our 2 day pre-cruise