Fort Lauderdale Hotels

Boston Accent

Hi,

My SO and I will be sailing in March leaving from Port Everglades. We plan to fly in to Fort Lauderdale the day prior to sailing and have 2 concerns: Which hotel have you stayed in pre-cruise ( and were happy with) and is it worth getting a package that includes pick-up at the airport and ride to the ship the next day? My greatest fear is bed bugs!

Thanks for any wisdom you care to share.

Pam

Hi,

My SO and I will be sailing in March leaving from Port Everglades. We plan to fly in to Fort Lauderdale the day prior to sailing and have 2 concerns: Which hotel have you stayed in pre-cruise ( and were happy with) and is it worth getting a package that includes pick-up at the airport and ride to the ship the next day? My greatest fear is bed bugs!

Thanks for any wisdom you care to share.

Pam

Definitely not worth pickup. Find a hotel with a cheap shuttle or a cab will be about 15$ if you stay near fll or beach area.

For FLL area info and details on most hotels, check:

http://www.sunny.org

Some of CC members favorites:

Sleep Inn Dania

Cambria Suites Dania

Hyatt Place FLL north and south

Hampton Inn (2 airport area locations)

Embassy Suites

Holiday Inn Express convention center

La Quinta Airport

Hilton 17th Street

Bahia Mar

Hyatt Pier 66

Good luck! :)

We like the Cambria Suites. It feels like an upscale hotel at a very budget friendly price. The one in Raleigh, NC is our homebase whenever we have an early morning flight (b/c the airport is right across the road), so when we flew into FLL for our first cruise - I decided to try this one and we liked it just as much. We flew in a day early and took a taxi ($20 w/ tip) to the hotel. We signed up for the free port shuttle when we checked in and just showed up with our baggage in the morning and they took care of the rest. After our cruise, we took a taxi back to the hotel (again $20 w/ tip) for our post cruise night (we could've taken the hotel shuttle again but decided this was easier). It was too early to check in, so they stored our luggage for us and we walked down the street to a nearby shopping area for awhile. The next day we took the hotel shuttle to the airport and headed home. It was a very pleasant experience. By the way, the Cuban restaurant across the road from the hotel is very good! We ate there pre-cruise and then again post-cruise!

The ONLY thing that I don't like about Cambria Suites in general is that they don't have free breakfast, but they do have an onsite restaurant.

You don't mention budget or how much of a day you have left before arriving in FtL. March is pretty high cost. If arriving late an airport area hotel would be my choice. It'll save you money and offer shuttle from the airport to the hotel. SOme will do shuttles to the port, but I wouldn't choose a hotel based on shuttle to the port. Cabs are easy and not expensive.

If you will be in Ft L early, then I'd look at something in the city nearer the port. ( 17th st area hotels are popular or the beach hotels Bahia Mar and Sheraton are pretty close to the port) It's a nice place to spend a full day and you'll be a quick 10 min ride to the port in the morning.

John's list is a darn good start.

How does Value Trips work? I know you guarantee a reservation with your credit card but do they immediately charge your credit card or do you pay at check in? I'm not sure if I want to stay at the posted hotel but while I am still researching, I want to have a back up.

Archived