Best River Cruise to see lots of castles??

jealdaka

When you cruise the Rhine, you will see a lot of castles (in varying stages of ruin to rebuilt) This website shows how they're dotted along the river http://www.loreley-info.com/eng/rhein-rhine/castles.php

You won't actually go in or visit any of them, but you will enjoy seeing them as you cruise along (along with lots of vineyards and cute towns).

Last fall we did AMA's "appreciation of wine" on the A'Cello from Amsterdam to Basel. The castles were an amazing site; camera with telephoto lens, captured each and every one. We had a fantastic cruise coordinator for this trip. He was on the bridge by day, narrating the entire time through the Gorge, with historic facts and folk lore about the castles. Some are in disrepair, others are being used as boutique hotels, or in various stages of repair. I would love to return on a river cruise that included a day trip to one of these mountain top beauties.

Darcy

We did Uniworld's Castles Along the Rhine and saw lots of castles. Like a previous poster said, at the beginning it's like Wow! By the end it's, oh another castle. It was a great river cruise and very scenic. Uniworld did a wonderful job.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

One nice thing about doing this itinerary from Amsterdam to Basel is that you have the Rhine Castles sailing day before you get to Heidelburg. Then you get to go through the Heidelburg castle and see what these old buildings were all about.

PS - If you can, take the extension to Lucerne. It was wonderful. Zurich was nice too -- be sure you visit the Fraumunster to see the Chagall windows.

Just did the "Castle Section" on the Rhine yesterday...about 3 hours of total castles on both sides...lovely. (Rudestein to Koblenz is the main area.)Took a tour of Marksburg Castle that was the only one that still is intact and was never bombed or conquered. VERY interesting. It's on the 14-day Budapest to Amsterdam cruise we are on with Viking. It's also called The ABC Cruise..."Another Bloody Castle" by some. I must say we are calling it the CCC cruise...Castles, Cathedrals, and Cobble Stones!

Just did the "Castle Section" on the Rhine yesterday...about 3 hours of total castles on both sides...lovely. (Rudestein to Koblenz is the main area.)Took a tour of Marksburg Castle that was the only one that still is intact and was never bombed or conquered. VERY interesting. It's on the 14-day Budapest to Amsterdam cruise we are on with Viking. It's also called The ABC Cruise..."Another Bloody Castle" by some. I must say we are calling it the CCC cruise...Castles, Cathedrals, and Cobble Stones!

Our TM in Russia said the same thing about our tour, calling it the ABC tour for "another bloody Cathedral". I think at some point we all feel that way....another bloody castle/cathedral/church.....but we keep going back for more.:D Regarding cobblestones, I think they should be outlawed as charming lethal weapons of mass destruction (ankles, knees, hips, backs, etc.)

YMMV. On our AMA Rhine cruise, we felt the guides neglected the Cathedrals/Churches. They aren't allowed to lecture inside, so they don't take you in.

DW and I made a point of using the free time to visit as many churches as we could -- each is different, and as long as they aren't rococo you can get a real idea of how the local church worships in this space. To us, this was much more interesting than getting an idea how the local youth inhabit bars etc...

YMMV. On our AMA Rhine cruise, we felt the guides neglected the Cathedrals/Churches. They aren't allowed to lecture inside, so they don't take you in.

DW and I made a point of using the free time to visit as many churches as we could -- each is different, and as long as they aren't rococo you can get a real idea of how the local church worships in this space. To us, this was much more interesting than getting an idea how the local youth inhabit bars etc...

that's unfortunate, and a little surprising because on our Rhine cruise we either had a local guide take us into the churches/cathedrals or our TM did it. I don't recall any church or cathedral where we couldn't go in because they weren't allowed to lecture inside, although I have experienced that in other places. It's really a shame because all kidding aside, the churches and cathedrals are really beautiful and worth seeing.

Archived