LOST LUGGAGE ** Please help!!!**

Mel&Ken

Hello everyone.....just want to update those of you who asked...

No luggage as of yet. It's been one week today that it's been missing.

Celebrity called Wednesday as promised and said they were still trying to locate it. And when we first called them they said it can take up to two weeks.

Ken has given up all hope and I am still about 33% hopeful it will turn up. I just can't come up with where it could be that its lost forever. Even if a crew member took it - wouldn't they just take what they want out of it and let the rest be found? We're talking two large bags here.

Anyway....the wait continues. I will let you know the final verdict.

Melissa, Don't give up hope! I've heard of people waiting weeks to have something returned to them that they may have left in the stateroom or the safe. Especially if the bags were put in a more unusual area, it may take a while before the "right" person gets the message that bags are missing and notice that there are some bags that never seem to move. Know what I mean? The onloading / offloading process had quite a hiccup where your bags were concerned, but they are physical objects and can't vanish into air. I haven't given up hope for you!

Thanks for updating us. I hope you get your bags before I leave on my trip so I can stop fretting about it. I'm just so sorry that this unpleasant experience has happened to you and hope that it ends on a good note.

Mel&Ken

I'm sorry to read all this.

I was interested in reading right up to the end to see how it turned out....I'm sorry it hasn't ended at all yet...

I did want to tell you we forgot wallet in the Freedom safe last month, I realize it is Royal and not Celebrity but still. I waited over 2 hours for the wallet which was in the cabin we stayed in. It was INSANE

After we got the wallet and got home, I emailed RCCL to explain my frustration with several aspects of the incident. Mainly that 1. it took sooo long, and 2 that they had several people "verify" that the wallet had no money in it when they found it. I was over the top annoyed that it took so long to bring down and they had the time to have that many people check check and recheck.

Anyways, I got a response a few days later with a sizeable discount on an upcoming cruise for all my troubles.

They do offer these things, make sure you stay on them and insist that they compensate you accordingly.

I am not one to expect something for small silly things, but this is neither and I think their behaviour and lack luster response is unbecoming of a company such as this....

Good luck PLEASE keep us posted!!!

Chass

Just a quick story, a little off topic, but demonstrates "Don't give up hope!"

In 1992 our daughter & husband were on their honeymoon when Hurricane Iniki changed course very quickly and made a direct hit on Kauai. They heard about it coming and headed to the airport at 4:00am. After a scary drive dodging falling tree branches, they made it to the airport and just left the rental car in a parking lot. In the the terminal, airport staff said "RUN - the last flight is leaving NOW, no time for luggage, just GO!" They abandoned their luggage except one carryon, got to Honolulu where they spent about 24 hours, part of it in a bunker, and took another 2 days to find seats on several flights that finally got them home to Denver. They figured they'd never see their luggage again - all their honeymoon clothes just gone forever.

They finally arrived home to Denver to find all their luggage sitting on their front porch - not even damp. So....don't give up hope!

...>>>SNIP<<<...

I did want to tell you we forgot wallet in the Freedom safe last month, I realize it is Royal and not Celebrity but still. I waited over 2 hours for the wallet which was in the cabin we stayed in. It was INSANE

After we got the wallet and got home, I emailed RCCL to explain my frustration with several aspects of the incident. Mainly that 1. it took sooo long, and 2 that they had several people "verify" that the wallet had no money in it when they found it. I was over the top annoyed that it took so long to bring down and they had the time to have that many people check check and recheck.

...>>>SNIP<<<...

This is a litigation crazy society we live in. Do you really think that they were going to send up only one person to open the safe and recover your wallet? Of course not, they sent up several people who all observed the procedure and then had to probably all fill in forms and sign them to satisfy the policies put in place by the company attorneys.

Blame the huckster plaintiff tort bar for the delay.

Hi Melissa and Ken,

Found your post the other night when I could not sleep due to jet lag. What a bummmer to loose your suitcases! Can imagine it has tainted your visit to Rome. Can do without that kind of stress.

We were actually on a bus tour from X and I was contemplating to keep the suitcases with me. First they had us disembarking at 10am although the tour left at 7:30am. After I changed that, I noticed that the luggage might not necessarely be transported on the same bus. Was not too happy about that, but Aaron said I'am always such a worrypot and talked me into to put the suitcases out the night before. As it happens we had to pick them up in the hall like everybody else and bring them to the bus. There were a lot of buses.

Sure was a relief to have them with us. We had a bummer too, as we were ripped off by Rental in Rome with the apartment we booked.

To make a long story short (will write a warning) we lost the first day in Rome as we were transported to one of the outer suburbs and the next day we had to find an hotel quickly. As you would have noticed Rome was overcrowded, so we had to pay top dollar for an outdated and basic hotel with very uncomfortable beds.

Anyway we made the most of it, but were glad to get out there and fly to clean, green and friendly New Zealand.

I think it would be most unlikely that a crewmember would have stolen your suitcases for souvenirs. Maybe they got mixed up with the incoming suitcases? Hopefully, they will still turn up. Might indeed take weeks.

We will keep our fingers crossed for you.

Mel & Ken, don't give up hope.

But if you would like some help...........

We are sailing November 13th on Equinox.

Nice, Florence, Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice, Dubrovnik and Barcelona.

I would be glad to pick up replacement souvenirs for you.

I know it wouldn't be the same, but might help a little.

Tara

Sure was a relief to have them with us. We had a bummer too, as we were ripped off by Rental in Rome with the apartment we booked.

Do not want to hijack this thread, but would love to know more about what happened with Rental in Rome. We are thinking about renting an apartment the next time we go. Are you going to post your story and a warning someplace that you can provide a link?

Do not want to hijack this thread, but would love to know more about what happened with Rental in Rome. We are thinking about renting an apartment the next time we go. Are you going to post your story and a warning someplace that you can provide a link?

Until the OP can reply, this is the info on our apt. Boy I hope she gets her luggage soon!

This is the apt we rented and it was a block away from Trevi Fountain. We shared the cost with our friends whom we travelled with. It was fantastic. Watch which floor the apt is on because most don't have elevators lol.

https://www.sleepinitaly.com/en/show-scanderbeg_terrace-fontana_di_trevi-roma/appartam.php?id_appartam=473

For apts all over Italy http://www.sleepinitaly.com

For pre and post cruise touring we no longer use hotels (unless it's for only one night).

Cheers

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Your link did not work, but I believe you have shared the information with me before because I have SleepInItaly bookmarked in MY FAVORITES.

I was curious what type of problem that Waihekean their apartment. Always good to know. I found one that looks interesting, but do not want to book through a bad company. We had such a wonderful experience in Paris. :)

Your link did not work, but I believe you have shared the information with me before because I have SleepInItaly bookmarked in MY FAVORITES.

I was curious what type of problem that Waihekean their apartment. Always good to know. I found one that looks interesting, but do not want to book through a bad company. We had such a wonderful experience in Paris. :)

You can email me at cfhamilton at gmail dot com and I can help with more info if you wish:)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

First let me thank everyone for their best wishes.....ceba, tnjnmt and Dorothy - your offer to replace souvenirs is so sweet and thoughtful, we have some wonderful people on these boards!

To clarify something quickly - we used Sleep in Italy for our 2nd and 3rd time and have never had any issues - we would use them again. Somehow this is getting confused with an issue Waihekean had with Rental in Rome of which I have no knowledge. By the way Lenie, so sorry to hear you had to deal with that - what a pain in the butt!

On to our luggage....

Short version: Still lost.

Long version....today/tomorrow is what I believe to be our last hope. The ship came in to port today so my hope that our luggage just stayed on board and will be taken off today is here. It's 5:30 there now so the ship has sailed again already. My hope is that now our bags are just sitting there and we will get "the call".

I called Celebrity first thing this morning and this time I got Rose (last time was Flower - are these codes names?). Rose was MUCH less optimistic than Flower had been. She practically said if its not been found yet it won't be. Yet Flower said it can take up to 2 weeks and almost all bags are found eventually. I want Flower back! I explained to Rose my theory of the bags being on this cruise but she didn't seem to buy it. She did however say she was sending a flurry of emails to the port/airport today in case they are there and she would call me the minute they heard anything.

So once tomorrow comes/goes if we still have no bags I think I will join Ken in giving up hope. We're getting to the point we have to start replacing stuff - we can't keep waiting for it to return. We booked Vegas for a long weekend in November and already we realized we have no suitcase to pack!

So of all the days to cross your fingers, today is the day! :eek:

First let me thank everyone for their best wishes.....ceba, tnjnmt and Dorothy - your offer to replace souvenirs is so sweet and thoughtful, we have some wonderful people on these boards!

To clarify something quickly - we used Sleep in Italy for our 2nd and 3rd time and have never had any issues - we would use them again. Somehow this is getting confused with an issue Waihekean had with Rental in Rome of which I have no knowledge. By the way Lenie, so sorry to hear you had to deal with that - what a pain in the butt!

On to our luggage....

Short version: Still lost.

Long version....today/tomorrow is what I believe to be our last hope. The ship came in to port today so my hope that our luggage just stayed on board and will be taken off today is here. It's 5:30 there now so the ship has sailed again already. My hope is that now our bags are just sitting there and we will get "the call".

I called Celebrity first thing this morning and this time I got Rose (last time was Flower - are these codes names?). Rose was MUCH less optimistic than Flower had been. She practically said if its not been found yet it won't be. Yet Flower said it can take up to 2 weeks and almost all bags are found eventually. I want Flower back! I explained to Rose my theory of the bags being on this cruise but she didn't seem to buy it. She did however say she was sending a flurry of emails to the port/airport today in case they are there and she would call me the minute they heard anything.

So once tomorrow comes/goes if we still have no bags I think I will join Ken in giving up hope. We're getting to the point we have to start replacing stuff - we can't keep waiting for it to return. We booked Vegas for a long weekend in November and already we realized we have no suitcase to pack!

So of all the days to cross your fingers, today is the day! :eek:

Sending good thoughts your way!!!

Me too! :) You did say that your luggage is tagged a couple of times with name and address, didn't you?

For all we know, the luggage is sitting in a tiny onboard storage room, all by itself, and enjoying multiple cruises around the Mediterranean. :D Eventually, it will be discovered as a stowaway and will be asked to disembark. :D

Yes, I will post a warning, but I still need to contact them from here with my complaint. So, will do the warning after that to have more update.

But in a nutshell. First there was no one to let us in at the apartment, then a guy (not old) turned up who said (pretended?) that he could not speak English. His daughter on the phone explained that there was a leak at the apartment. Then we were driven to outside of the Rome Centre to be so called brought to a better apartment. Instead we got a room in a B & B. So, no strolling around Piaza Navona that night, instead trying to find a restaurant in suburbia. Apartment would be ready next day and we would be picked up at 10am.

No one there till 10:30am. Same guy picked us up, but English speaking daughter (also owner of B & B and agent for Rental in Rome) did not go with us, but the Spanish speaking cleaner instead. When we got to the apartment it was clear it had not been cleaned for a while. A bed was still in the lounge. Rubbish bags all over the place and bags with dirty rags. Former tenants had left a list with 11 complaints i.e: they had to unblock the bathroom sink themselves, no toilet paper, soap, tea towel etc.

The fridge was not working and full with water. There was no washing machine, nor any airconditing as advertised on the net.

Not at all as presented on the net, just a dump.

When I spoke to the daughter that there was no airco nor a washing machine, she started shouting at me and found her to be quite abusive!

By that stage we had enough and got out of there.

So, do not be fooled by their excellent presented web site. Their service is definitely below standard and would advise against using them.

In the mean time you will have noticed that Sleep in Italy is a recommended organisation.

Man I'm on the edge of my seat! It needs to be found!!!

Kudos to all those sailing after you, offering to buy you souvenirs, it really speaks volumes to the people we have here. :-)

I hope it turns up!!! Maybe at your doorstep randomly!

I am lucky the 1 time my luggage didn't make it was on a flight home to the US. We made the connection, but our bags didn't. Took them 36 hours to get them back to us (and in the middle of the night to boot). Oh well, alls well that ends well, so they say.

Here's hoping we see you post next with a positive report!

Although not on a ship, I lost a bag on an airline on an international itinerary to Cairo onc time. It was found 2 days later in London and I was told I could get it on my connection back thru London Heathrow, I stopped at lost luggage, and it was gone again. 6 weeks later they sent me a check after a lot of fighting. 9 weeks later the bag was on my front doorstep after returning home from another trip. IT STILL HAD THE ORIGINAL AIRLINE TAG with my flight dates, name booking number, as well as 3 places with my name address phone and email address on handle label outside and label inside..... EVERYTHING. But I now have double luggage and clothes! Although imagine the difficulty in finding underwear in Egypt. But I digress...

Seems like these things need to go thru a long standardized corporatized arduous process sometimes.....but often do work out.

Waihekean - Thank you...sounds like a terrible ordeal. We rented our apartment in Paris from a family run company out of California. The owner of the company happened to be in Paris when we were and stopped by to make sure everything was alright with our accommodations. :)

OP - Any news?

Still no news....

On Friday, Flower at Celebrity will deem it lost. I have started to inventory everything that was in both bags which is easy as I had an excell spreadsheet made up with all our outfits and shoes in order not to over pack and make sure we used the laundry service on the right days. So I know every single item that is in there excluding souvenirs which they won't cover anyway.

If it's less than 6 months old I must produce receipts to get the full value back. They won't be too happy to see almost everything was new. I would say 25% of our clothes/shoes were old and 75% were new and purchased for this trip. We'd been trying to lose weight and needed new summer clothes (my story and I am sticking to it). So now I'm pulling out receipts and matching them to what is in the bags. Tedius to say the least.

The older things will be reimbursed at a depreciated value which upsets Ken. Yes our luggage which I got for an amazing price of $150 is 18 mths old, but its only been used 3-4 times and whatever we get for it won't come close to replacing it. Same with older items like my 2 formal dresses and my bathing suits - both not an easy task to replace.

But it looks like we will get the "value" of most of our stuff back. The souvenirs are a complete loss as are our Bose headphones if they lable them as electronics. That's $700 gone. And I haven't even let myself worry if they have a limit per bag - that would just push me over the edge right now. If they try to cap us at $500 a bag or something ridiculous like that when I can prove the value of our goods - well.....let's not go there just yet. :mad:

And after all of that is settled many of you have suggested further compensation - a discount or voucher or something. I think that is what it will take to get us on a Celebrity ship again. Yes we may get our money back but the inconvenience, the hassle, the stress and not to mention the lack of compassion from Celebrity - who by the way still maintains a fellow passenger must have taken it - what is that worth? To date they have not once admitted THEY lost my luggage. Its either I lost my luggage or someone took my luggage. Frustrating.

Anyone besides me going to self disembark from their next cruise?! :confused: