LOST LUGGAGE ** Please help!!!**

Mel&Ken

Mel&Ken, I don't know it will make you feel any better, but there are some aspects of this debacle that aren't entirely Celebrity's fault. There are a number of international conventions that limit liability. For example, the Warsaw Convention places a limit on liability with respect to baggage loss or damage on international flights. As a result, Delta Airlines (picked at random) will pay up to $3400 per passenger for lost or damaged baggage on domestic flights, they are limited to paying $9.07 per lb. up to $640 per bag (USD) for flights governed by the Warsaw Convention.

For cruise lines, the Athens Convention applies similar limitations.

In addition to imposing limits to the dollar (or SDR) amounts for which a carrier is liable, the conventions also govern the claim process. In the case of the Athens Convention, "The burden of proving that the incident which caused the loss or damage occurred in the course of the carriage, and the extent of the loss or damage, shall lie with the claimant."

So it isn't just a question of random liability limits being imposed by Celebrity, nor are they dictating the claim process on a unilateral basis. As is so often the case, there's far more to this issue than first meets the eye.

Having said that, it would certainly be in Celebrity's best interest to explain that to customers faced with a loss. Unfortunately, their customer relations leave a lot to be desired. This latest issue with the credit card is a prime example. People change cards or get replacements with new numbers on a regular basis, so their financial people must have dealt with this thousands of times and have a ready solution. In your shoes, I'd demand a cheque.

Best of luck!

While I appreciate the advice re: social media it's just not my style. I am not trying to hurt their reputation or keep people from cruising with them.

I didn't mean to imply that you would be trying to keep people from booking them. It's just that you were trying to get word to someone up the chain who might care and be able to actually help, and social media posts sometimes seem to do just that. But obviously you have to do what you're comfortable with. :)

There are a number of international conventions that limit liability.

Just because liability is limited according to law, it doesn't mean a company cannot voluntarily waive that limit if they feel the situation warrants. Frankly I think the time the OP spent waiting on responses was rather long, and for that alone, some "waiver" would not be inappropriate.

That said, we NEVER put our bags in the hallway at night, and it is largely out of fear of what could happen.

I'm so sorry this didn't go well as far as the response from Celebrity. If it makes you feel better, following your story has made me (and I'm sure many other people) think twice about how they disembark a ship. From now on, we won't take any more than we can handle ourselves...no more trustingly putting bags out in the hallway and going to sleep! Even if I don't need to get off early, I'll still be doing self-disembark!

I hope you have better luck in the future!

Just because liability is limited according to law, it doesn't mean a company cannot voluntarily waive that limit if they feel the situation warrants. Frankly I think the time the OP spent waiting on responses was rather long, and for that alone, some "waiver" would not be inappropriate.

I was simply pointing out facts than many people are unaware of. You're quite right, Celebrity could make an ex gratia payment to them for all of the inconvenience and delays, but I suspect that carriers prefer to meet their strict legal responsibilities and no more.

Mel&Ken, I don't know it will make you feel any better, but there are some aspects of this debacle that aren't entirely Celebrity's fault.

That actually doesn't make me feel any better at all!! :confused:

While this is a very large monetary loss to us and we continue to replace items - it's really more about the lack of concern or care from Celebrity that is the most upsetting.

From us driving away from the port with a slip of paper instead of all our luggage and not so much as one person saying here is my card, call me if you need anything, is there anything you need that we can help with.....

To my repeated calls to Lost Luggage only to hear "we're still looking" when no one could ever tell me the process outside of "we send emails to the port and to the airport". I asked about security footage onboard, I asked if items were scanned - I got no where.

And the final slap in the face as far as I am concerened is "we're sorry but this is our policy". No one I have dealt with is interested in client resititution, retention or even their reputation. I know I speak for most people in customer service when I say that goes against the very basics of complaint handling.

I had dinner at a restaurant the other day and had very poor service. The manager came over to apologize and offered to pay for our dinner. The next thing he did was present us with a $75 gift card for our next visit. Very smart as I probably would NOT have gone there again based on our experience. But now with that gift card I will give them one more chance. I am sure that isn't a policy somewhere but a manager trying to retain a client.

That is what I feel Celebrity is lacking here. I really don't care what their policy is - how about some empathy, concern or a good will gesture of some sort?

I never expected a cheque for $4000, but I didn't expect the cookie cutter response either. It's a big deal to lose someone's possessions and I guess I just expected a bit more by way of guest relations.

That actually doesn't make me feel any better at all!! :confused:

While this is a very large monetary loss to us and we continue to replace items - it's really more about the lack of concern or care from Celebrity that is the most upsetting.

From us driving away from the port with a slip of paper instead of all our luggage and not so much as one person saying here is my card, call me if you need anything, is there anything you need that we can help with.....

To my repeated calls to Lost Luggage only to hear "we're still looking" when no one could ever tell me the process outside of "we send emails to the port and to the airport". I asked about security footage onboard, I asked if items were scanned - I got no where.

And the final slap in the face as far as I am concerened is "we're sorry but this is our policy". No one I have dealt with is interested in client resititution, retention or even their reputation. I know I speak for most people in customer service when I say that goes against the very basics of complaint handling.

I had dinner at a restaurant the other day and had very poor service. The manager came over to apologize and offered to pay for our dinner. The next thing he did was present us with a $75 gift card for our next visit. Very smart as I probably would NOT have gone there again based on our experience. But now with that gift card I will give them one more chance. I am sure that isn't a policy somewhere but a manager trying to retain a client.

That is what I feel Celebrity is lacking here. I really don't care what their policy is - how about some empathy, concern or a good will gesture of some sort?

I never expected a cheque for $4000, but I didn't expect the cookie cutter response either. It's a big deal to lose someone's possessions and I guess I just expected a bit more by way of guest relations.

Hi Mel:

Every time I see you post on this thread, I click in, hoping against hope that your luggage has been found. I am amazed at your patience with all of this, and so disappointed that you haven't been taken seriously.

I was just wondering if you had spoken to anyone at the Resolutions Desk. You can ask to be transferred to the Resolutions Desk from any Celebrity department. I have found them to be very helpful in the past.

Best wishes to you, and I hope still for a little miracle that will bring your luggage home.

Hi Mel:

Every time I see you post on this thread, I click in, hoping against hope that your luggage has been found. I am amazed at your patience with all of this, and so disappointed that you haven't been taken seriously.

I was just wondering if you had spoken to anyone at the Resolutions Desk. You can ask to be transferred to the Resolutions Desk from any Celebrity department. I have found them to be very helpful in the past.

Best wishes to you, and I hope still for a little miracle that will bring your luggage home.

Elena....I know the feeling! Everytime I pull in to my drive way I look up to my porch and hope to see two suitcases sitting there! :rolleyes:

Even replacing our things is in limbo - we try to replace only as needed "just in case" they still turn up. Ken's black dress shoes were lost and we had a wedding this weekend so off we went shopping. We still haven't replaced our headphones (only valuables we foolishly packed to save room) as we ceratainly don't need 4 pairs of them if they turn up. We have until February before another flight so those can wait......sigh.

I did get transfered to Resolutions once by Guest Relations. As far as they are concerned my issue is "resolved"; they have approved my claim. Which while I am venting....doesn't it seem like a huge waste of time to have me itemize both bags, collect all the receipts, send it all in and wait 2 weeks for them to tell me my list of over $3500 items is approved and we will receive the max payout of $600? :mad: Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.

Mel&Ken, I don't know it will make you feel any better, but there are some aspects of this debacle that aren't entirely Celebrity's fault. There are a number of international conventions that limit liability. For example, the Warsaw Convention places a limit on liability with respect to baggage loss or damage on international flights. As a result, Delta Airlines (picked at random) will pay up to $3400 per passenger for lost or damaged baggage on domestic flights, they are limited to paying $9.07 per lb. up to $640 per bag (USD) for flights governed by the Warsaw Convention.

For cruise lines, the Athens Convention applies similar limitations.

In addition to imposing limits to the dollar (or SDR) amounts for which a carrier is liable, the conventions also govern the claim process. In the case of the Athens Convention, "The burden of proving that the incident which caused the loss or damage occurred in the course of the carriage, and the extent of the loss or damage, shall lie with the claimant."

So it isn't just a question of random liability limits being imposed by Celebrity, nor are they dictating the claim process on a unilateral basis. As is so often the case, there's far more to this issue than first meets the eye.

Out of curiosity I googled "Athens Convention luggage liability" and it looks like liability for lost or damaged luggage is capped at 1800 SDRs or close to $2800 per passenger. Totally not sure I'm reading that right or if I'm looking at the most current version of the document. But at first glance, it certainly does look like Celebrity is imposing random and unfair liability limits.

Melissa, I know it is not your intention to turn people away from Celebrity. Those kinds of people are easy to spot. But your intentions are good and your complaints about their customer service are legit. But your tone has always been measured, fair and reasonable. Celebrity lost a wonderful customer when they lost you.

Customer service may be good before and during the cruise, but once that cruise is over and the bill has been paid it's a whole new story. Expect them to play hardball after the bill has been paid. It's a shame because when you find a cruise line that you like, you want to stick with it. But how can you after something like this.

And I don't get it. Why is it like this? I never would have expected this from Celebrity. I try to image a similar scenario of going to an all inclusive "modern luxury" resort in Hawaii and having the bellhop lose my luggage and my possessions. How would I be treated then? I don't think I would be treated this way. Not at all. :(

Edited by Deb0702

We were on Summit first cruisie in SJU this season, gave 3 bags over to porters on embarkation day.... only 2 made it to cabin! whole week of back/forward typical CEL pass the buck kind of thing.. get home, still no bag, 2 weeks later told max liability is $350.... fought and fought with CEL and in end got a $1000 check and $880 in a FCC, as we had listed $1880 worth of items were in bag, now we disocoverd it was more, but what can you do... I was very upset with $880 FCC, so you lose my bag, and you give me a cert to come back and spend more !! we are Elite, so of course we will be back, but it was the principal, and way it was handled, oh, and still waitng for botht eh check and the FCC's !!!!!

Melissa, I know it is not your intention to turn people away from Celebrity. Those kinds of people are easy to spot. But your intentions are good and your complaints about their customer service are legit. But your tone has always been measured, fair and reasonable. Celebrity lost a wonderful customer when they lost you.

Customer service may be good before and during the cruise, but once that cruise is over and the bill has been paid it's a whole new story. Expect them to play hardball after the bill has been paid. It's a shame because when you find a cruise line that you like, you want to stick with it. But how can you after something like this.

And I don't get it. Why is it like this? I never would have expected this from Celebrity. I try to image a similar scenario of going to an all inclusive "modern luxury" resort in Hawaii and having the bellhop lose my luggage and my possessions. How would I be treated then? I don't think I would be treated this way. Not at all. :(

Unfortunately there's a big difference in a bellhop in a hotel losing something.

The cruise terminals are not owned by the cruise line and the workers don't work for the cruise lines. Your luggage is in a huge warehouse where anyone can pick up your bags and take them. There is a contract that we all accept when we cruise that limits the reimbursement by the cruise line and that's why many experienced cruisers buy policies that cover a higher amount for lost luggage. As much as I feel for the OP, I can also understand that the cruise lines can only have so much control over the baggage handling because most ports have union or government employees that do most of the baggage handling. Considering the tremendous amount of luggage that is handled every day they have a pretty good record of getting it to the right people.

I feel for the OP and was hoping the luggage would be found. It's usually that someone accidentally walks off with the wrong bags. It's really difficult to say what happened in this case.

After a couple of "close calls" on Princess, we now carry our luggage on and off ourselves. We don't overpack, each has one carryon and we share a larger bag, all on wheels.We do crosspack in case the airline loses a bag. Also, I do not take any of my favorite clothes on any trip. We don't know any of our fellow passengers and will never see them again. We dress up for dinner each night, but not in anything we would hate to lose. Same with jewelry.On one trip on NCL, every day an X-ray of a bag full of some woman's shoes was displayed as it was lost. I just feel better not letting our bags out of our sight.

Earlier this year my company paid for all the leadership team to go through customer service training with Disney. As most people know, Disney is known world wide for their outstanding customer service. The one thing that really stuck with me is the following phrase:

"It's not our fault, but it's our problem."

This really hits home with me as almost all businesses rely on partners of some sort. My business deals with Brinks, Amazon deals with UPS and Celebrity uses tour operators and port employees to assist their clients.

So while I agree that port employees may not work directly for Celebrity, they have been tasked with taking care of Celebrity guests and I am sure if there were constant issues with poor service or mishandling of items it would be addressed as it reflects poorly on Celebrity. It may not be Celebrity's fault but it does become their problem.

As for policy and what I signed up for; that has been debated this entire thread. Every business has their policy, mine included. They also have the authority and means to make good will gestures, client restitution and go beyond policy guidelines as they see fit.

In this case I did everything that was asked of me: I placed my bags outside my room as requested, I had two cruise issued stickers on each bag as well as one personalized tag, I had identification inside each bag, I went to the theatre and disembarked as requested and I went to the designated area on time to collect my bags.

I know many people disagree and that's your perogative. I personally feel this now becomes a problem that Celebrity should be involved in resolving. How they do it and what that resolution looks like - who knows?! I do feel it should be more than a cheque for $600 and "have a nice day".

Speaking of which, here's an update on the $600 - I called and requested a cheque as opposed to a credit on the now expired card - Princess advised that she would submit the request to her supervisor for approval and "if" it's approved then send it off to accounting. :rolleyes:

Concerning the problem of receiving credit on an expired credit card, my experience has been that it magically gets forwarded to the correct (new) credit card. Now obviously that would not work if there is not an obvious "successor" credit card, and fortunately I have not found myself in that situation. But I would at least talk to my credit card company and see what would happen with a refund being requested against an expired credit card.

Earlier this year my company paid for all the leadership team to go through customer service training with Disney. As most people know, Disney is known world wide for their outstanding customer service. The one thing that really stuck with me is the following phrase:

"It's not our fault, but it's our problem."

This really hits home with me as almost all businesses rely on partners of some sort. My business deals with Brinks, Amazon deals with UPS and Celebrity uses tour operators and port employees to assist their clients.

So while I agree that port employees may not work directly for Celebrity, they have been tasked with taking care of Celebrity guests and I am sure if there were constant issues with poor service or mishandling of items it would be addressed as it reflects poorly on Celebrity. It may not be Celebrity's fault but it does become their problem.

As for policy and what I signed up for; that has been debated this entire thread. Every business has their policy, mine included. They also have the authority and means to make good will gestures, client restitution and go beyond policy guidelines as they see fit.

In this case I did everything that was asked of me: I placed my bags outside my room as requested, I had two cruise issued stickers on each bag as well as one personalized tag, I had identification inside each bag, I went to the theatre and disembarked as requested and I went to the designated area on time to collect my bags.

I know many people disagree and that's your perogative. I personally feel this now becomes a problem that Celebrity should be involved in resolving. How they do it and what that resolution looks like - who knows?! I do feel it should be more than a cheque for $600 and "have a nice day".

Speaking of which, here's an update on the $600 - I called and requested a cheque as opposed to a credit on the now expired card - Princess advised that she would submit the request to her supervisor for approval and "if" it's approved then send it off to accounting. :rolleyes:

I understand how upset you are by this but are you saying that they should just give everyone what they ask for or that they should somehow know that you are more special than others and take care of you?

Edited by Ma Bell

Since you have already decided that you will not be cruising Celebrity, then you have several options at this point......Do a chargeback on your credit card for the amount.....yes you can do it....it will force Celebrity to respond to the chargeback request OR USE SOCIAL MEDIA......facebook or Twitter. Companies HATE someone poisoning the future business pool.....they often respond almost immediately.....

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Forums mobile app

As far as never packing anything good to wear on a trip, that's kind of like never using the good china or silverware. If we are all too afraid to lose something, what's the point of ever having it? If you can't wear your nice clothes on a cruise vacation, where would you wear them?

I've had lost luggage that wasn't recovered and $300 wouldn't cover a couple of outfits. We all take chances everyday of our lives when we pull out of our driveways onto the road, does that mean we should never leave the house? All we can do is take reasonable precautions and hope for the best.

I understand how upset you are by this but are you saying that they should just give everyone what they ask for or that they should somehow know that you are more special than others and take care of you?

Wow!!!

I don't have time right now to read all 10 pages of posts but I am pretty sure I haven't said any of what you've just accused me of.

I haven't "asked" for anything. I am simply not satisfied with how this has been handled. I have also never claimed to be more special than others and frankly it's insulting that you're implying as much.

I have been very clear that I think this is a customer service issue that has not been handled well or fairly and I would expect the same response for any client, not just me.

Since you have already decided that you will not be cruising Celebrity, then you have several options at this point......Do a chargeback on your credit card for the amount.....yes you can do it....it will force Celebrity to respond to the chargeback request OR USE SOCIAL MEDIA......facebook or Twitter. Companies HATE someone poisoning the future business pool.....they often respond almost immediately.....

I have said all along that whether we cruise with Celebrity again or not depends on how this ends up being handled. While it seems unlikely at this point I am still hopeful that someone from Celebrity will come to the table with a reasonable resolution - or should I say one that WE feel is reasonable since some believe I should be happy with the $600.

As for the credit card - I work at the bank and I am not about to reverse a charge for a service I received just to get their attention. I took the cruise, I spent the money....that is not how I do business. Same with Social Media, just not how I chose to handle it.

Elena....I know the feeling! Everytime I pull in to my drive way I look up to my porch and hope to see two suitcases sitting there! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't hold my breath, BUT my boyfriend's nephew once flew to Europe for a Med cruise. He missed a connection and got rebooked. Ultimately he made the cruise but his luggage didn't. Kept in touch with the airline and kept expecting the luggage to show up at the next successive port of call but it never did. Cruise ended, he flew home, settled with the cruise line (Royal, but I don't recall how much they gave him). Anyway, his case too, was closed. About 3 months later his bags showed up out of the blue. They had all kinds of tags and stickers indicating that they had followed him all over Europe but always a day or two behind him. I guess ultimately they were sent back to the cruise terminal or the US and obviously just sat in some "unclaimed luggage" area. Eventually though, he got them, so there is always that chance. :)

OMG, she didn't say that at all. They should consider EVERY passenger special and if they (or whoever they contract with) and if they lose a passenger's luggage, they should take care of it. She even said she didn't expect the full value of the receipts she submitted, just a reasonable compromise, timely communication and a semblance of caring. :rolleyes:

Wow!!!

I don't have time right now to read all 10 pages of posts but I am pretty sure I haven't said any of what you've just accused me of.

I haven't "asked" for anything. I am simply not satisfied with how this has been handled. I have also never claimed to be more special than others and frankly it's insulting that you're implying as much.

I have been very clear that I think this is a customer service issue that has not been handled well or fairly and I would expect the same response for any client, not just me.

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to insult you. I'm just trying to discover what you would like them to do.

You say it may not be their fault but it's their problem and then go on to say that regardless of what their policy is they have the authority to make goodwill gestures as they see fit. So my question is should they give people something over and above their policy amount every time something happens or should it just be to certain people and if so, how do you determine who is deserving?

If you haven't asked them for anything, why would you think that they would do anything more than what they are supposed to? I would agree with you if it were a situation that could be directly attributed to something they did. Since there's really no way to tell that and it's very likely the bags were taken by someone else at the terminal, I wouldn't expect them to do anything else. However, if you feel they owe you more, you need to ask for more. You need to tell them what you think is fair and why.

I think you have been calm and patient but you also seem to expect people to read your mind and do something without making a request or asking for a specific resolution.

Mel- I really feel for you- for many of us women, $300 wouldn't even begin to cover cosmetics/toiletries alone not to mention outfits and shoes!

I always live in fear of lost luggage. I was surprised to read Paul's post about the lost piece of luggage on arrival at San Juan since we just came from that port and it seemed much less chaotic than Miami.

When we disembark in Rome next year I may bring my big suitcase with me in the morning since we won't be flying home immediately and I don't want to end up like you! The non ship porters are always eager to help you get your stuff through immigration and customs and really speed up the process.

I don't know if this is relevant to your situation but I do want to point out that the luggage tags that are given out for disembarkation are very flimsy. Our son's big suitcase ended up without a tag a few days ago and was placed in a row with unidentified bags at the San Juan port. Also, last year in Miami, we went on a bus tour of Miami after disembarking. A woman on the same bus excursion was missing a smaller bag and had to go back onto the ship and look for it! It was placed in an area of suitcases that were missing tags. Two of these flimsy tags per piece of luggage may not be enough!! I recommend googling luggage tags- Amazon via a Canadian company sells some plastic covers specifically for the long, thin Celebrity/Royal Caribbean style tags. Place 3 or 4 of the flimsy disembarkation tags into these plastic inserts and hang them all over your bags. Or, if don't have the plastic covers, go to Guest Relations and get 5 per bag (or more) and plaster them all over the suitcase! Placing them around handles isn't safe because they tear so easily.

I understand that you also had i.d. all over your luggage (just as I do) so that's no excuse but I wonder if they (ship and non ship port personnel) conveniently decide to overlook i.d.s and claim things as "lost."

To everyone that can't find their luggage in the port disembarkation area, insist on going back onto the ship and looking for it there!

Someone mentioned social media. Wendy Perrin, Conde Nast Traveler magazine travel expert, tweeted an airline recently re: her husband's lost luggage and got an immediate response. Maybe start tweeting Celebrity?

I don't know if this is relevant to your situation but I do want to point out that the luggage tags that are given out for disembarkation are very flimsy.

We disembarked and one of our suitcases was missing. We were taking a tour as we were staying overnight in Amsterdam before flying home the next day.

Celebrity told us to go on with the tour and when they located the luggage they would send it to the hotel. We gave them the address and phone number of the hotel. All we got in return was a flimsy sheet of paper with a description of the bag that we allegedly gave them. Lots of words about they were not responsible for its loss. I'm not even sure an insurance company would have even accepted it as proof of loss.

We get to the hotel, no luggage. After several hours with a lot of help from the hotel and a port employee who, bless his heart, got off his rear end to search the port lost and found warehouse where our suitcase was found.

It had TWO of their disembarkation tags on it with our names. iIt had personal ID tag attached to it. On top of the contents in the unlocked bag was a complete itinerary of our trip including the hotel, phone numbers, etc.

Two other times our luggage has been put where it shouldn't have been but we did find it eventually. Both times the disembarkation tags were still on it.

Once you are off the ship, you are toast. Out with the old, in with the new.

We now disembark our luggage ourselves and I wouldn't care if it was a steamer trunk (lol). FWIIW, we have cruised enough that we don't take a lot of unnecessary things and our luggage on a 2+ week cruise is, at most, a 26" suitcase and carry-on each. A week cruise, we can do with two carry-ons.

Tucker in Texas

I have said all along that whether we cruise with Celebrity again or not depends on how this ends up being handled. While it seems unlikely at this point I am still hopeful that someone from Celebrity will come to the table with a reasonable resolution - or should I say one that WE feel is reasonable since some believe I should be happy with the $600.

As for the credit card - I work at the bank and I am not about to reverse a charge for a service I received just to get their attention. I took the cruise, I spent the money....that is not how I do business. Same with Social Media, just not how I chose to handle it.

While I certainly agree with you concerning how this was handled and resolved, especially on the customer service end, how should they deal with the issue?

They did include the information about the maximum reimbursement level.

If they were to reimburse actual value how do they really handle it?

Most insurance covers depreciated value, not replacement costs.

You really cannot prove what was in the bags, only that you had receipts for items you purchased. Receipts have two problems. First, I suspect most people don't keep receipts for clothes and other items that would be in the bags. Second, if someone had receipts just providing receipts does not prove that the items were in the bags. Someone could just take receipts for the most expensive components of their wardrobe and send it receipts even if the items were not in the bags.

Taking that into account actual reimbursement is really not practical from a corporate point of view.

Clearly the 300 per person limit is not good either.

So what should their policy be. Especially in a case like yours were it is not just one bag getting lost, but instead both of your bags.

If they were to stay with a fixed cost what should be a reasonable level.

If one was to look at providing reasonable reimbursement (not top of the line or high end products), one would see that a suitcase, 7 days clothing, a suit, etc would run around $800 to $1000. Even if you assume depreciated value on average it would still be atleast double what their current level is.

I just wanted to mention...make sure you keep all reciepts for any items you replaced in the event that they do have a change of heart with the $600.

Still keeping ny fingers crossed and your luggage turns up.