Any hope for a Lava Sail By on the Oct. 5 POA sailing?

vbmom87

I see the POA itinerary map shows a northern route (between Hilo and Kona) on the Oct. 5 sailing rather than the southern route we took in 2010. I have read that the POA will travel the southern route IF the lava is flowing. Does anyone know if the lava is currently flowing into the ocean, or is there a website where I can check. So far I have hit dead ends in my search.

I see the POA itinerary map shows a northern route (between Hilo and Kona) on the Oct. 5 sailing rather than the southern route we took in 2010. I have read that the POA will travel the southern route IF the lava is flowing. Does anyone know if the lava is currently flowing into the ocean, or is there a website where I can check. So far I have hit dead ends in my search.

If you google there is a couple of sites here is one

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

Kalapana Cultural Tours does a daily blog (when they are conducting tours). Their latest blog is from yesterday (Sept. 23rd). This is a good place to quickly find out what's happening with the lava (and to see some great photos from their hikes). They'll provide updates as the lava is getting nearer to the ocean, and for sure it will be big news on their site when the lava once again enters the ocean. Hope you get to see it on your cruise in October!

Although there does not seem to be any ocean entry right now (and hasn't been for some time), the POA has still been cruising by the volcano. I can see the ship from my house and every Tues. evening the ship cruises by. Also, as this is the time of year when many ships are repositioning from Alaska, I have seen others cruise by also.

I will let you know if I see the POA this evening. I imagine even though there is no ocean entry right now, there is still glowing red lava higher up on the side of the volcano that can be seen from the ship.

We were on POA Sept 7-14 and they did do a sail by. The female Hawaiian ambassador did a narration over the outdoor speakers on part of the ship and they turned off the lights for a short time. It was about 10pm. I was surprised how little emphasis was placed on it in the Daily (easy to miss if you weren't looking for the info).

However, all you could see was a glow on the top. Still pretty neat experience though, plus the narration was interesting/historical, and I think it was worth going out on deck for. The photo shop may have been selling photos from other sail by dates. The na pali coast sail by was my favorite part though. Best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Sept 28th sail and there was no lava flowing. We positioned ourselves early, but all there was was a very faint glow near the top, so faint it could have been missed. We joked that with the shutdown the plug was still in so no lava. But things can change, hopefully you'll have more luck.

The current flow is minimal and going in the wrong direction for any water entry. A friend of mine, just sailed there last week with essentially no viewing, but a little "glow". They were using binoculars and still didn't have much view. They also did a helicopter trip, which they said was disappointing (I always enjoy them, even without an active flow) for them, since they were "expecting" those massive National Geographic photos.

I haven't seen a good flow in years. But when it's going- it's incredible. I've seen it steaming up from the Chain of Craters and a very active sail by with multiple flows. :)

You never know, what makes nature so interesting.

Archived