LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

I always keep my makeup and hairspray' date=' etc. in the desk drawers. It's my "dressing table". For this reason, I'm so glad we didn't get the deluxe balcony. I would really miss the storage and space of the desk. I bring a small mirror on a stand for my makeup application and to,check the back,of my hair. I loved the colors of the cabin also and was very pleased with our midship standard balcony cabin. The size of the balcony didn't 't bother us, it was suitable, however the chairs were impossible for me to,sit on, even with the use of pillows. Mark would switch chairs for me and put the chair from inside the cabin on the balcony for me when I wanted to sit out there.[/quote']

We had a deluxe balcony, & opposite the love seat we did have a desk w/1 drawer and chair. Maybe it's not as big as one in a reg cabin? Agree about the balcony chairs - couldn't sit on them too long! We had a larger angled extended balcony under the Seawalk and loved it. Pic attached (hopefully)

image.jpg.9e7b8907ff2903b134a2dbb8b76d2b92.jpg

The Horizon Bistro is a contiguous but separate area from the Horizon Court. It has a few of the same things as the HC but also has different things. There are sandwiches or you can have sandwiches made at lunch and the hibachi grill area is on the port side closest to the pool area. I had a delicious turkey and cheese sandwich made one day. I saw the hibachi grill area only a couple of times as I walked by. There were grilled items, including chicken and beef kabobs. The HC also had grilled kabobs quite a few times.

Thanks Pam, 10 days & I get to discover these things too!!

Am looking at those cabins. Can you tell me what your cabin number was. thanks

E411. But I would not hesitate to book any cabin in that general area. It appeared that none of them had obstructions, & we were far enough away from the Seawalk that you could not see onto our balcony.

Berni

E411. But I would not hesitate to book any cabin in that general area. It appeared that none of them had obstructions, & we were far enough away from the Seawalk that you could not see onto our balcony.

Berni

We were in E415 on the TA. Great balcony too but no wifi in the cabin. Did you have that problem too?

The Horizon Bistro is a contiguous but separate area from the Horizon Court. It has a few of the same things as the HC but also has different things. There are sandwiches or you can have sandwiches made at lunch and the hibachi grill area is on the port side closest to the pool area. I had a delicious turkey and cheese sandwich made one day. I saw the hibachi grill area only a couple of times as I walked by. There were grilled items, including chicken and beef kabobs. The HC also had grilled kabobs quite a few times.

At breakfast time, the Bistro grill has egg McMuffins, or egg burritos or other egg appropriate items.

I was on the Royal TA and noticed something interesting in the elevator and heard of something awful about an elevator.

Interesting.......a fellow held the close door button and the elevator passed every floor. Bad boy???? Alice

A slight correction on the technique of non-stop elevator service: You have to push the close-door button AND the button for the floor you want simultaneously. I did not try this, but was assured that it worked ;);)

I see you are headed to my home town on your Emerald Princess cruise. The fall colors are at their height at the moment, but the winds are starting to strip the trees of their leaves. Emerald was just here in Sydney yesterday. We were on it a few years ago on a 10 day Southern Caribbean.

Enjoy your cruise. I will wave to the ship from my work the Cambridge Suites on the waterfront.

Read this way too late but thanks for the wave.

Here are my impressions after two weeks on the ship:

Last night was a "miss" though with almost everything spicy Indian food. It was great if you like that but it's not for everyone. I had some and it was good but too spicy for my taste.

I noticed this last week on our cruise on the Ruby. I usually eat fish for dinner on cruises and for this one almost every night it was covered with curry or chili peppers, as were many of the other dishes every night. I wondered if the menus were different for Europe? I hope it's not a new trend on Princess. I dislike spicy food and have never ordered off the "Always Available" menu nearly so much. :mad:

I noticed this last week on our cruise on the Ruby. I usually eat fish for dinner on cruises and for this one almost every night it was covered with curry or chili peppers, as were many of the other dishes every night. I wondered if the menus were different for Europe? I hope it's not a new trend on Princess. I dislike spicy food and have never ordered off the "Always Available" menu nearly so much. :mad:

Previous posts have said that 'spicy' food was too mild (my experience also) so maybe they're now going to too spicy for some. The only thing too spicy for us on the Royal was the Trident Grill's "BBQ" which was a disappointment to us.

Hopefully they'll find a happy medium that suits most passengers & apparently the degree of spice may vary on the executive chef.

We had a deluxe balcony, & opposite the love seat we did have a desk w/1 drawer and chair. Maybe it's not as big as one in a reg cabin? Agree about the balcony chairs - couldn't sit on them too long! We had a larger angled extended balcony under the Seawalk and loved it. Pic attached (hopefully)

So, help me here. On the Royal TA we had a D4, deluxe aft facing balcony - R733 (nice size balcony, same awful chairs, a bit of soot and ash now and then). We had a desk but it had no drawers - -the only drawer was the shallow one above the refrigerator with the (OMG) hairdryer with the cord attached to the back of the drawer. We could store our chargers and an extension cord in there, but nothing else. Are you saying that if one doesn't have a loveseat (as in the D4) there are desk drawers? I think I would make that choice!!!

And on a different topic entirely, but one mentioned in earlier posts, I found the food in the HC to be FAR superior -- over all -- to that in the dining room. I cannot believe I am saying this -- my DH has been trying to get me to eat dinner in the HC more often, but he may have won that battle. Yes, there were numerous spicy or curry dishes on the DR menu every night. Our waiter said many of the cooks are Indian, so "they know how to cook curry dishes."

Sandi...take a look at Pam's picture of her standard balcony cabin (post# 1249). It, in fact, has 3 drawers at the desk and 3 little storage shelves next to the fridge. I saw the picture of the deluxe balcony (with it's ONE drawer) after final payment...wasn't happy about that. The couch was nice but that "one drawer" thing was very frustrating!

With a sensitive stomach...I had a hard time finding things on the DR menu that were not spicy or fried. The anytime menu gets a bit old after a while...not special, for sure.

Kathy

And on a different topic entirely, but one mentioned in earlier posts, I found the food in the HC to be FAR superior -- over all -- to that in the dining room. I cannot believe I am saying this -- my DH has been trying to get me to eat dinner in the HC more often, but he may have won that battle. Yes, there were numerous spicy or curry dishes on the DR menu every night. Our waiter said many of the cooks are Indian, so "they know how to cook curry dishes."

So that's why so much curry on the menu! Yuck!!!! If they follow the cook's ethnicity and not what the passengers eat, that seems unwise. But if they are going to do that, I hope they get rid of the Indian cooks and hire Italian or Greek--my two favorite cuisines..

So that's why so much curry on the menu! Yuck!!!! If they follow the cook's ethnicity and not what the passengers eat, that seems unwise. But if they are going to do that, I hope they get rid of the Indian cooks and hire Italian or Greek--my two favorite cuisines..
Very subjective but it's a moot point. Corporate plans the menus and the head chef who oversees the prep and cooking. It doesn't matter whether the chef is Italian (most Princess head chefs are), Indian, Thai or Phillipino. Personally, I dislike Greek food. :)

So, help me here. On the Royal TA we had a D4, deluxe aft facing balcony - R733 (nice size balcony, same awful chairs, a bit of soot and ash now and then). We had a desk but it had no drawers - -the only drawer was the shallow one above the refrigerator with the (OMG) hairdryer with the cord attached to the back of the drawer. We could store our chargers and an extension cord in there, but nothing else. Are you saying that if one doesn't have a loveseat (as in the D4) there are desk drawers? I think I would make that choice!!!
I guess it is all subjective. We had D4s on the Royal TA (C618) and 5 Day Caribbean (D730). We felt the two drawers on each side of the bed plus the drawer above the refrigerator were adequate. We liked the loveseat and had no issues with the balcony chairs.

Yup.

[ATTACH]292252[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]292253[/ATTACH]

Pam...

Thanks for those pics of the desk and storage. Very helpful.

Do you mind telling me again, what category of cabin you had, and, if possible, the cabin number? We are in a DD for the Copenhagen-NY TA in 2014 but are thinking of trading in the sofa (which we liked too) for the additional desk and refrigerator storage. You still had 2 drawers in the nightable on each side of the bed, right? After all these Princess cruises, I am not accustomed to not knowing what kind of furniture or storage I will have.... :(

Now, if I could feel confident the Elite laundry service would be back on track, I wouldn't have to pack (and store) as much... LOL.

Thanks,

Sandi

I suggest speaking to the headwaiter in your dining room. He can bring the next day's menu to you and arrange for your selection to be cooked without spices, curry, etc. that you do not want.