Alaska in May?

janetz

I like May because you still see a fair amount of snow and we have been fortunate to see wildlife then. Everyone has their own opinion and because weather can be a factor and it changes all the time you just never know what it will be like on your voyage.

I would book a May cruise without any hesitation.

Keith

I like May because you still see a fair amount of snow and we have been fortunate to see wildlife then. Everyone has their own opinion and because weather can be a factor and it changes all the time you just never know what it will be like on your voyage.

I would book a May cruise without any hesitation.

Keith

Thank you. :)

since the trip is 11 nites it includes land travel as well?

My only caution about May is ... if Denali is a priority, be aware that the park road won't be fully open. If you time the cruise for late May and reach Denali after June 1, you'll be able to get to Eielson Visitor Center, or to Wonder Lake around June 10. Look at the Denali NP web site for dates.

since the trip is 11 nites it includes land travel as well?

My only caution about May is ... if Denali is a priority, be aware that the park road won't be fully open. If you time the cruise for late May and reach Denali after June 1, you'll be able to get to Eielson Visitor Center, or to Wonder Lake around June 10. Look at the Denali NP web site for dates.

Yes, land included. One night Denali. I will have to check the date. Thanks!

I cruised to Alaska this past May 25 - June 4 (on another cruise line, no land tour).

For wildlife, I saw:

• In Sitka - Humpback whales, including a mother and baby, and a gray whale. Sea otters with their pups (close enough on the tour boat to hear the babies squeaking). Lots of sea birds, including tufted puffins, at an island sanctuary.
  • In Haines while rafting on the river - Nesting eagles, Arctic terns.
  • Icy Strait Point (Hoonah) - More humpbacks. Also went on a bear search tour, but didn't see any (except for the one that ran across the road in front of the tour bus). Fellow cruisers who were on the ATV excursion saw some.
  • Ketchikan - Many eagles, including juveniles. Black bears.

Eagles are pretty much everywhere in every port. I also saw more whales while I was on excursions from other ports. I saw seals and sea lions on a couple of tours.

What I didn't see:

• Humpback whales breaching and bubble-feeding. (Many folks here on CC who cruised a week or two later reported seeing this.)
  • Bears feeding on salmon. (May is too early. The salmon runs don't start until July.)
  • Orcas - The orca tour from Victoria was cancelled. Didn't see any on whale-watching tours from other ports.

In my opinion, you'd probably have a better chance of seeing wildlife if you went in late May rather than early/mid-May.

We had beautiful weather, but that's no guarantee you will.

Yes, land included. One night Denali. I will have to check the date. Thanks!

If you only have 1 nite at Denali, be especially mindful of your arrival and departure times. Many of the 1 nite tours arrive mid afternoon on day 1 and leave at noon on day 1, which doesn't provide enough time to explore the park. They often include the Natural History Tour which only goes to Mile 17 (of 100 miles of park road), or the Teklanika tour which goes to Mile 30.

If you only have 3-4 days available for land travel, it's easy enough to arrange on your own. Rent a car in Anchorage and drive to Denali in only 5 hrs. Or take the train or bus.

We love the May cruises..will be doing our 3rd one again May 2014...And as far as the Orca sightings we had a few right next to the ship during our May 17th cruise..we actually saw a large number of whales on this particular cruise..so you can never tell.

It makes a BIG difference depending WHEN in May. Real early, is far more "iffy". I've gone multiple times the entire month with one early trip, having 6 out of 7 days of rain. :)

For ANY trip including Denali, which should be regarded as a priority. :) this needs a NORTHBOUND trip, only. in May. Also, consider carefully any short cruise tour which an 11 day trip is, as it usually is lacking with most of the time in transit and little at destinations. Be certain to, fully, know, ALL the details, which most people don't.

Orcas in Alaska, have HUGE ranges, there are some resident pods out of Juneau and Seward, but no guarantees they are going to be seen. IF orcas are a priority, then consider getting yourself over to Vancouver Island, for several extra days and plan on multiple boat tours. :) There are 6 resident Vancouver Island pods, that I have had pretty good luck at seeing. :)

Archived