Cruise Tour early June or late June Pros/Cons

jmj32

We would like to book our trip this week...we have narrowed down our decision to cruise/tour Alaska on Princess either June 7 or June 21. I know that the weather can vary regardless of when you go to Alaska. But we would appreciate your thoughts on what the benefits are to cruising either June 7 or June 21. The cost is higher for June 21 and I am trying to determine if there is a reason for this...Is the weather that much warmer 2 weeks later? Is the landscape prettier later in June? More sightings of wildlife later in June? I would love to go earlier in June but just want to make sure that we are not compromising benefits for lower cost. We do not have school age children traveling with us so we do have the benefit of going any week... We are considering starting our tour in Fairbanks but would also consider beginning in Anchorage. Aside from airfare, what are the pros/cons to beginning in Fairbanks vs Anchorage. Thank you in advance for any advise you can offer...

There is little difference, in my experience. Far more important, in my opinion, is your land touring decisions. Princess has some pretty crappy itineraries, in my opinion, that many people just aren't aware of what they are looking at or what they are booking. I would encourage you to really do your homework, on this, and know every detail at what you are looking at, especially Denali Park. :)

There really isn't going to be much difference between those two dates. Plus weather and wildlife sighting are never guaranteed, unfortunately :). With the two trips we've taken to Alaska, we had warmer, better weather in mid-June then the one we took at the beginning of July. And I would say wildlife sightings were about the same for both. Either date should offer you a great trip :D!

I can not comment on the best Princess cruise tour. But, I will second BQ's comment about looking at the tour part of the cruise/tour carefully.

If you start at Fairbanks you likely want to visit Denali. If so, how many nights do you have there? Do you travel by train? I know the cruise listing does not list times exactly. However, you can figure this out by going to the Alaska Railroad site. The cruise lines attach their private cars to the back of the regular train. So they all follow the AK RR schedule.

Does the tour include the Natural History tour in Denali? If so that is not much. [only 17 miles out of almost 100 and you could take a free shuttle to mile 15] We took the Tundra Wilderness tour. [i think 63 miles and we really liked it] But, most say the shuttle is better. [go to at least Eilson visitor center]

Depending on your interests you may find that a cruise and a DIY tour better meet your needs. [The next time we go we will do this. ]

We took a cruise tour when we visited AK Aug 31, 2012. [had 2 nights in Denali] The couple we were with felt having someone else deal with their luggage made the whole thing worthwhile. The husband had some knee problems and they had a ton of luggage. This is was not a big deal for us.

It all depends on your interests, mobility, budget etc.

Whatever you do, you will have a great time.

Thank you so much for the replies...so looks like we will go with June 7...but more important, I am now concerned about the land tour. Should we just book the On Your Own package? Or should we not even book a package and book cruise only...then book hotel and transportation on our own. Our concern is that the excursions will be booked for those in the tours and we will not have the choices. Help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thank you so much for the replies...so looks like we will go with June 7...but more important, I am now concerned about the land tour. Should we just book the On Your Own package? Or should we not even book a package and book cruise only...then book hotel and transportation on our own. Our concern is that the excursions will be booked for those in the tours and we will not have the choices. Help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You need to do some research and determine which option is best for YOU.

Personally I've only driven during my land travels to Alaska (car and RV). It's incredibly easy to drive in Alaska because there are so few hwys and they're only 2 lanes (except around Anchorage and Fairbanks). People from all over the world arrange DIY trips to Alaska, including renting 32 ft RV's and driving on the opposite side of the road, so I don't know why people from this country get so freaked out about it.

If you look at the thread on this page called "2013 Alaska Cruise Review List" you'll find several reports that are cruise plus DIY land, some by car, some by bus or rail. Better yet, go to the ALASKA forum of tripadvisor and look at the trip reports listed under Top Questions. ( use their RESOURCE list to help you with an itinerary). Borrow a few Alaska travel books from the library ... determine where you want to go, what you want to see, and make your own reservations. Have fun planning!

Does the tour include the Natural History tour in Denali? If so that is not much. [only 17 miles out of almost 100 and you could take a free shuttle to mile 15] We took the Tundra Wilderness tour. [i think 63 miles and we really liked it] But, most say the shuttle is better. [go to at least Eilson visitor center]

I was aware that we don't want the Natural History tour; but thought that most people recommended doing the Tundra Wilderness tour instead. I was not aware that the shuttle is a better option. Is there narration while on that tour? If it goes further in, I would think it would be the best option.

I was aware that we don't want the Natural History tour; but thought that most people recommended doing the Tundra Wilderness tour instead. I was not aware that the shuttle is a better option. Is there narration while on that tour? If it goes further in, I would think it would be the best option.

The tour drivers have an informative script to follow while they drive. Tour buses provide a drop down screen with zoom camera and a snack. Shuttle drivers aren't required to provide narration but most of them are very informative. I've only made 3 visits to Denali but I've had great shuttle drivers who provided lots of info on geology, history and wildlife, and they were as excited as the rest of us at each wildlife sighting. They like tips so it's to their advantage to provide a great trip for us! You need to take your own sandwich and drink on a shuttle bus.

The TWT goes to Mile 53 in 8 hrs for about $125. On a clear day it will go to Mile 62.

The Eielson shuttle goes to Mile 66 in 8 hrs for about $35. ( And the visitor center is a great destination point ... great view of the mtn if it's out, exhibits, rangers, trails, running water, and flush toilets.)

Lots of info about each shuttle or tour on the park's reservation site under PLAY. There's also a map of the park road to show the destinations: http://www.reservedenali.com/play/tours/tundra-wilderness.aspx

The tour drivers have an informative script to follow while they drive. Tour buses provide a drop down screen with zoom camera and a snack. Shuttle drivers aren't required to provide narration but most of them are very informative. I've only made 3 visits to Denali but I've had great shuttle drivers who provided lots of info on geology, history and wildlife, and they were as excited as the rest of us at each wildlife sighting. They like tips so it's to their advantage to provide a great trip for us! You need to take your own sandwich and drink on a shuttle bus.

The TWT goes to Mile 53 in 8 hrs for about $125. On a clear day it will go to Mile 62.

The Eielson shuttle goes to Mile 66 in 8 hrs for about $35. ( And the visitor center is a great destination point ... great view of the mtn if it's out, exhibits, rangers, trails, running water, and flush toilets.)

Lots of info about each shuttle or tour on the park's reservation site under PLAY. There's also a map of the park road to show the destinations: http://www.reservedenali.com/play/tours/tundra-wilderness.aspx

Thanks so much for that great info.

The cost is higher for June 21 and I am trying to determine if there is a reason for this..

It is because June 21 is the summer solstice. Maybe not such a big deal in the lower 48, but it is the longest day of the year up hear. I guess people are willing to pay more to stay up to see the "midnight sun".

Believe it or not.....

This is "best" for people who limit themselves to ONLY the tours, and want to remain linked with their cruise tour. (there are a LOT of people who can not, or will not do anything on their own)

Denali is NOT about "narration". You can get far more information- ahead of time- which would be of way more benefit to many people- http://www.nps.gov/dena

This is "best" for people who limit themselves to ONLY the tours, and want to remain linked with their cruise tour. (there are a LOT of people who can not, or will not do anything on their own)

Denali is NOT about "narration". You can get far more information- ahead of time- which would be of way more benefit to many people- www.nps.gov/dena

Are you saying that you can drive your own car into Denali? I thought the roads were limited to the park transportation. I will be reading everything possible after I get these upcoming cruises completed, so I can focus on Alaska.

Your post, frankly, confirms, the above suggestions to find out more about what you are looking at booking, before you go any further with "plans" and definitely any booking. You don't have the detail knowledge that could benefit your decisions.

Your question will answer itself, once you make some comparisons with the cruise tours, independent and combo options.

The ONLY thing you need to book now with an independent option is the car. This requires no deposits. You may want to block out a car rental NOW, and cancel if you change your plans.

I book hotels only a few months ahead- get every one I want- easily. Same with my tours- a few months ahead, has plenty of availability for most tours. There are exceptions, so if you run into those- book when you have your ENTIRE itinerary in place.

Thank you to all for the advise...

Budget Queen: Thank you for circling back with your response. I agree with you but am thinking that in addition we will book rooms (we need a few) for the cruise we are interested in. But, if we want to add on a tour, I am sure we can and if we decide to tour on our own, we have plenty of time to plan accordingly.

Does this make sense?

Archived