What is the story (if any) behind your "handle"

popcan

Our oldest son is married to a lovely gal who is of pure Greek descent. They gave us our first grandchild. The Greek terms for grandmother and grandfather are YiaYia and Papou. I shortened it to be Yaya&Papu - how it is phonetically pronounced.

I got my Bachelor's Degree from the University of Hawaii - Manoa (in Honolulu). One of the things that was required was to take a class in Hawaiian history which also included some of the information on their beautiful language. Basically it has (depending on who you ask) only 12 or 13 letters and many words mean the same thing (such as "aloha" - means "hello", "good-by" and possibly "I love you".)

When looking for a handle I decided to use the Hawaiian dictionary and came up with holomuku. Loosely translated (very loosely as many words mean more than one thing) it means "love to sail" or "can't wait to sail" or something on those lines. And it wasn't already taken on CC!

If you're interested in learning more about this beautiful language - here's a link--

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/hawaiian.htm

We didn't pick ours. Our daughter did.

She noticed that I liked to read CC and wanted to know why I never posted there.

Told her I didn't know how. Without asking, she joined for me and picked the name OCruisers ... and sort of explained how to use CC and post.

Gosh, we were still on dial-up back then ... probably some of the rest of you were also. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

Like Sapper1, I have shared this before, and like she, I have a military connection. I served for 28+ years in the U.S. Navy. In U.S. Navy slang, a person who served at least 4 years as an enlisted person, and later became an officer was known as a Mustang. This is probably by folk etymology from horses, from the aspect of "breaking away from the herd."

In any case, I served 13 years as an active duty enlisted person, achieving the rank of Chief Petty Officer. I then was selected to become a temporary officer, with the rank of Ensign (sub-Lieutenant for the Royal Navy equivalent) while retaining my permanent enlisted rank.

I served for more years, and attained the permanent rank of Master Chief Petty Officer (Regimental Sergeant Major/Master Gunnery Sergeant - hi John -equivalent) before being selected for Lieutenant rank (Army Captain equivalent). I then had a choice to become a permanent officer, or revert to my permanent enlisted rank. I chose to become a permanent officer, and closed out my enlisted record. I served several more years, and finally, after 28+ total years, retired from active duty. At that time, I became a retired Mustang, at the rank of Lieutenant Commander, U.S Navy (Retired).

I still work for the U.S. Navy as a civilian (currently furloughed:rolleyes:), and in a couple of years will retire from that and become a truly, really, retired RetiredMustang. (Then we will really start to cruise :D!)

When I joined CC, after lurking for a while, DW suggested the name. It was not taken, so I was able to register as RetiredMustang.

Dave

A sincere "thank you" for your service and congratulations on your very special achievement!!

I own an incomparable Aztek. It was love at first sight. An '01 bright shiny white: loaded with future technology, on screen info and all. It is like climbing into an aircraft cockpit, with amazing visibility. I know, some call it a butt-ugly dustbuster.....I'm still thrilled after 12 years...So I am Lvteks same as my license plate.

Blessings,

Gail

Mine is based on my initials (DJH) and on my previous cars. I used to change my online profiles each time I got a car. I used to be djhcougar when I had a Cougar; djhxplr when I had an Explorer, djhmiata when I had a Miata and djhsolara when I had a Solara. Eventually I guess I just got tired of switching each time I got a new car, so I've stuck with djhsolara even though that was four cars ago.

It has been very Interesting reading this thread.

Sent from my iPad

Ahhh, SammyGoose.

Our Dog died of old age and we decided to get back in the game again and went to a breeder to hopefully make a connection and get a puppy. So while we were there getting vetted- this dog -a whippet- made an appearance and she's all scarred up. I say so what is her story- they say she's a hard luck story- too old to be adopted (10) but too young to be put back with the other dogs- they gang up on her and they try to kill her. 3 attempts,really bad- so they had to segregate her. What a mess. So we left and stopped for lunch and decided to foresake the puppy and take the misfit senior dog. Spicewindtimeaftertime...turned into silly goose turned into SammyGoose and what a treasure she was for the 2 years we had her.

What a dog-a card trick,a party trick,a miracle she did it all.

That's why.

I needed a handle for something online and I tried Marigold: my name is Marie and I live in Coarsegold (Finegold is nearby) and I love to garden, especially flowers. But Marigold was already taken, I added the 2, but that was taken. I ended up with 252 because it is easy to type on the right bank of numbers on the keyboard. When I joined CC I kept it. I can only remember a limited number of username and password combinations!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Mine is the name of one of the cute mascots for Expo 67 in Montreal.Looks like a fluffy snowbird with an orange beak.

Now that brings back memories!! I went to Expo 67 with my family when I was a girl in Connecticut! I can't say that I remember Ookpik, per se, but now that you explain it, it sounds so familiar!

Mine is based on my initials (DJH) and on my previous cars. I used to change my online profiles each time I got a car. I used to be djhcougar when I had a Cougar; djhxplr when I had an Explorer, djhmiata when I had a Miata and djhsolara when I had a Solara. Eventually I guess I just got tired of switching each time I got a new car, so I've stuck with djhsolara even though that was four cars ago.

Sent from my iPad

Wow, I am surprised you cruise, and don't just drive everywhere! :D:D:D

Since I've already commented on several others' posts, I guess I had better jump in here and explain myself --

I had spent my childhood and early adult life dreaming of cruising, but then got married and found myself giving birth one by one to five sons. As soon as it was humanly possible for DH and me to manage to take a cruise (our 20th wedding anniversary), I became SeagoingMom, quick as lightning!

Honestly, I was surprised and happy that the moniker had not already been taken!

Edited by SeagoingMom

I was born in Egypt to an Egyptian dad and a Greek mother. The city I was born in is called " luxor". The old name is called " Thebes " thousand of years ago during the pharaonic era. You may google Thebes and find out more info. It's a beautiful touristic town in the southern part of Egypt.

Mine is the type of motorbike we rode when DH and I were "courting" as we used to say a hundred years ago. A BSA Star twin.

That's very interesting. In my younger (and foolish) years I used to race a BSA 500 single, known as a "Goldstar."

My handle comes from my retirement vocation. I taught scuba cave diving the the Mexican Yucatan peninsula.

Scott & Karen

I was a Police Officer/Police Sergeant in L.A. for 30 yrs. Cop, Copper as in "You'll never catch me Copper". 10-8 is part of the "10-code" many police departments use on the radio. It means "in service" 10-7 means "out of service"

Sent from my iPad

I'd gratefully love to see you change it to djhFORD!!!:):)

Had a Jimmy Buffett song playing in the background (Tin Cup Chalice) where he sang the line "gimme oysters and beer for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine".

Since I was booked on an upcoming cruise on HAL, made a play on words with Oosterdam.

Edited by oysterdam