Most cruises youve seen in ports?

BuyRiteTV

DW and I are fairly port intensive folks so I always check CruiseTimeTables.com before we book. I find it helpful in deciding which cruise to take. May not be 100% accurate but gives a pretty good indication of what to expect at each port.

Holy cow! There will be seven ships in Nassau the day we are there. Fortunately we are there 5 hours before any of the other ships. Guess we won't be sleeping in that morning. I'm going to look for spa specials in the early afternoon that day. Not going to fight thru 15-20K cruisers in the port at the same time.

How exactly do they handle 5 ships scheduled to arrive at the same time?

Other than the major cruise ship ports where I have seen as many as 9 preparing to sail. Of all places it was Skagway Alaska. Sleepy little town of about 1200 people was overwhelmed. I had driven there from Whitehorse in the Yukon where I was living at the time to do a little cross border shopping. Normally I would have stayed for lunch and some good tunes at the Red Onion Saloon but that day people were lined up a block long to get in. That was back in the summer of 1997. Got my stuff and got out of Dodge as fast as I could.

Here in New York, the maximum now would be 5 (used to be 6) at the New York Passenger Ship Terminal. Then you would add one more at Red Hook, Brooklyn, and one at Cape Liberty, Bayonne.

There is also room for three of the small coastal type cruise ships at the Chelsea Pier terminal.

Going way back to the ocean liner years, there would be many times that total, spread at piers all over the port....

Would be interesting to see the difference in numbers of ships when you discount ports where cruises start/end. You can always see lots of ships in those places. But, the visited ports - that's where it's important to have as few in port as possible; don't want to compete with 6,000 other cruisers!!!!

The most I've seen in a port of call was in Cozumel last December. There were 7.....2 at the Carnival docks....2 at the RCI docks....2 at the downtown docks....and 1 anchored. We were the ones anchored. :rolleyes: To make matters worse, included in those 7 were the Allure of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, and Carnival Magic. Downtown was a madhouse.

Archived