World Voyage Muster Drills Question

Strictly Ballroom

If the ship you're sailing on doesn't have enough public rooms' space in which to hold the drill, then they basically have no choice but to hold it out on deck.

I have to say I do feel better knowing specifically where my assigned station/lifeboat actually is and how best to get there.

KK

I wouldn't want to be on a ship that didn't have enought public rooms to accomodate all passengers!

Keeping passengers in public rooms during the early stages of an emergency provides time for emergency crews to prepare the lifeboats to lowered.

I've always wondered about what would happen on HAL ship during an emergency if you have everyone making thier way onto the prommenade deck and you have emergency crews trying to make thier way to muster stations with deck chairs along the deck, it would seem that it's going to take more time for everyone to move along the outside decks.

If the ship you're sailing on doesn't have enough public rooms' space in which to hold the drill, then they basically have no choice but to hold it out on deck.

I have to say I do feel better knowing specifically where my assigned station/lifeboat actually is and how best to get there.

KK

I wouldn't want to be on a ship that didn't have enought public rooms to accomodate all passengers!

Keeping passengers in public rooms (warm & safe) during the early stages of an emergency provides time for the ships emergency crews to prepare the lifeboats to lowered.

I've always wondered about what would happen on HAL ship during an emergency if you have everyone making thier way onto the prommenade deck and you have emergency crews trying to make thier way to thier muster stations with deck chairs along the deck. It would seem as though it's going to take more time for everyone to move along the one outside deck.

Keeping passengers in public rooms (warm & safe) during the early stages of an emergency provides time for the ships emergency crews to prepare the lifeboats to lowered.

I've always wondered about what would happen on HAL ship during an emergency if you have everyone making thier way onto the prommenade deck and you have emergency crews trying to make thier way to thier muster stations with deck chairs along the deck. It would seem as though it's going to take more time for everyone to move along the one outside deck.

On HAL, they always call the crew to their stations first to make necessary preparations. They do this during drills as well, since the crew is always in place by the time we report. Passengers are called to their stations next during a drill. And it is my understanding that in an actual abandon ship emergency, time permitting, passengers are asked to return to their cabins to dress in warm clothing, retrieve any needed medications and lifejackets, then wait for further instructions. Another call will be made for passengers to report to their muster stations after that.

KK

On HAL, they always call the crew to their stations first to make necessary preparations. They do this during drills as well, since the crew is always in place by the time we report. Passengers are called to their stations next during a drill. And it is my understanding that in an actual abandon ship emergency, time permitting, passengers are asked to return to their cabins to dress in warm clothing, retrieve any needed medications and lifejackets, then wait for further instructions. Another call will be made for passengers to report to their muster stations after that.

KK

Yeah... except for *our* Lifeboat station last week on the Oosterdam. At every other single lifeboat station their assigned crew were out there nice and early, well in advance of the passengers. They had the people at their stations lined up nice and neatly in an orderly fashion.

The two rather young girls who were in charge of ours. . . showed up late, far too interested in chatting with each *other* than in what was going on. We all stood around in clump. Unlike every station around us, they never bothered to get us lined up in an orderly fashion. There was a part of me that couldn't help but feel a little disgruntled. What if there was a *real* emergency? Was our lifeboat just screwed because these girls didn't really seem to care?

All of this, of course, standing out in the cold and rain for more than a half hour. The scanning cards idea is a good one. They didn't do that. They called off each and every stateroom by number and we had to answer 'here'. That alone took about ten minutes. Seems like scanning cards as you arrive would get you off that deck a whole lot faster.

Wow! I am amazed that Cunard does not even check who you are. Last cruise (DCL) we lined up by stateroom number and they scanned our cards. They didn't start the announcements until all were accounted for. Everything on the ship closed from 3:45 until 4:30 for the 4:00 drill.
I've always assumed they're verifying that no one is in their staterooms during the drill. Where else could someone go other than the muster station?

I've always assumed they're verifying that no one is in their staterooms during the drill. Where else could someone go other than the muster station?

Think Cristmas cruise. The people who boarded in Southampton are out on the decks or balconys and the cabin stewards do know which cabins have been occupied. My husband went to the drill and I stayed in the cabin out of necessity and no one came to the cabin to check. I'm guessing they are pretty close to using the honor system. Again, don't forget that most of the trips are segments.

We were on the same cruise and I do not agree we had an extra drill in Tenerife. Commodore Rynd made the announcement about the Concordia as we were leaving the port of Tenerife. We have it all on video. There was no extra drill that day that I recall.

We did the whole world on QM2 2012 and we did not attend more than two drills.

Cunard do not scan your key card so do not know if everyone is there or not.

We did get to practise for real on QM2 2012 world cruise as the emergency signal was sounded around midnight. It went off twice so we followed instructions and prepared to leave the cabin. Dressing in warm clothes and got out life jackets out. Only to find out it was a false alarm. A bit scary all the same.

I have worked at sea and that was the first time ever in over 35 years I had heard the signal for real. It is not a nice feeling.

Hi Maggiemou,

the drill was on the day after we had left Tenerife. It involved the crew as intensively as in a special crew drill and the passenegers only like a standard muster drill.

The announcement by the Commodore was held on the evening when leaving Tenerife as far as I remember. It was well set, probably by Cunard and by far too late as most passengers new about the accident by the morning already.

Indeed Cunard does not scan the cards so passengers may avoid the drills without any consequences - certainly an issue.

I do remember the false alarm on WC2012 - and I am still quiet shure that it was not a false alarm but a wrongly judged situation which was never completely communicated. Night shift are very demanding for the bridge and there were a few very young and unexperienced officers on the bridge.

We were on the same cruise and I do not agree we had an extra drill in Tenerife. Commodore Rynd made the announcement about the Concordia as we were leaving the port of Tenerife. We have it all on video. There was no extra drill that day that I recall.

We did the whole world on QM2 2012 and we did not attend more than two drills.

Cunard do not scan your key card so do not know if everyone is there or not.

This year on P&O world cruise we were call to every drill every couple of weeks which was a drag as it was just a recorded chat by the Captain. Again, they did not scan cards. Many world cruises did not attend all these drills.

Princess Cruises scan your key card also.

I think it is better for full world cruiser to have to attend a drill every month.

We did get to practise for real on QM2 2012 world cruise as the emergency signal was sounded around midnight. It went off twice so we followed instructions and prepared to leave the cabin. Dressing in warm clothes and got out life jackets out. Only to find out it was a false alarm. A bit scary all the same.

I have worked at sea and that was the first time ever in over 35 years I had heard the signal for real. It is not a nice feeling.

I remember that night well. The alarm was so loud, there is no way anyone could have slept through it. I vividly remember opening the door and looking up and down the corridor at other worried faces. Then, when a crew member came out of crew quarters with a worried look on his face I remember thinking "this is really happening".

But at the same time, not altogether convinced, because, after all, we were on QM2 (the ocean liner) and things like that don't happen to this ship.

I remember that night well. The alarm was so loud, there is no way anyone could have slept through it. I vividly remember opening the door and looking up and down the corridor at other worried faces. Then, when a crew member came out of crew quarters with a worried look on his face I remember thinking "this is really happening".

But at the same time, not altogether convinced, because, after all, we were on QM2 (the ocean liner) and things like that don't happen to this ship.

Did you send your maid back to the suite to make you a cup of tea?

I wonder how crew notify passengers who might be ignoring the alarm in their staterooms...

In Grills they politely knock and insist on warm clothing, while in Britannia they bash on the door and scream 'put your life belts on'.

In all seriousness, I do wonder how quickly the crew could get all the boats ready and what their PB is for filling a lifeboat and getting it launched.

I wonder how crew notify passengers who might be ignoring the alarm in their staterooms...

In Grills they politely knock and insist on warm clothing, while in Britannia they bash on the door and scream 'put your life belts on'.

In all seriousness, I do wonder how quickly the crew could get all the boats ready and what their PB is for filling a lifeboat and getting it launched.

As there was no "announcing" of anything at the time and just an alarm sound, I knew it was a false alarm. If we really had been in an emergency situation, there would have been immediate announcements from the Bridge given directions to the passengers and crew in association with the alarm.

I didn't have to. All good servants have the gift of anticipation. There was one waiting for me when I returned.

Do they bother warning Britannia passengers? ;)

I suppose there's no harm in it, as long as none of the Grill passengers are inconvenienced. :)

Will the lifeboats be seated according to class?

Our first HAL cruise was on the Rotterdam in 1974. In those days the muster drill on ships (at least on those we sailed on) was held on the first morning at sea, not prior to sailing as it is now. Roll call was taken on the rainy, windy deck and, when there was no answer to one of the names, a voice from the back of the crowd said the person was ill. The officer in charge said someone would be sent to his cabin to check on him.

On one of our QE2 crossings with our young son about 25 years ago the cabin steward said: "You've travelled with us before, haven't you?" When I replied that we had a few times, he said: "You don't really have to attend muster. Just stay in the cabin with your son. Don't be seen wandering around or the 'old man' will get quite upset." I have never missed muster before that and certainly not since. I'm surprised Cunard doesn't scan the cards to ensure all have attended.

I didn't have to. All good servants have the gift of anticipation. There was one waiting for me when I returned.

Do they bother warning Britannia passengers? ;)

I suppose there's no harm in it, as long as none of the Grill passengers are inconvenienced. :)

Will the lifeboats be seated according to class?

Yes, Grills passengers get deluxe lifeboats. Mahogany benches with leather upholstery and pearl inlay.

Each passenger gets a bottle of Dom to go with the caviar rations.

High beam flashlights are also given to each Grills passenger so they can shine it in the eyes of Britannia passengers in the water who might try and get on one of the lifeboats.

Well, if the ship ever sinks I'm downing a bottle or two of whatever spirits I can lay my hands on. The water won't be so cold then :)
I'm already thinking of drinking a bottle of Scotch as the ship slowly sinks. And then standing on the stern rail, as she makes the final dive to the depths ;) .

I reckon I'll barely get my feet wet, and if I do, with all that Scotch, I'm sure I'll forget all about it... as that's A Night (I won't want) To Remember :D .

Just who will be rowing if you don't allow Britannia passengers on your life boat? Don
I don't believe that Grill passengers give much consideration to the method of propulsion, merely that the new yacht (Orange? Yuk, so last year) conveys them to civilisation and Fortnum and Mason as quickly as possible.

Oars or engines, it is all the same to them, as long as the noise is kept down, the canapé fresh and the champagne chilled.

(Sir Cosmo and Lady Duff-Gordon set the bar very high when setting an example of the standard of behaviour expected from the privileged classes when holding soiree in a lifeboat ;) .)

I'm not sure about the flashlights, I don't really want to be bothered with all the commotion that would presumably be going on in the water as the Britannia passengers drown, and I certainly don't need to watch. :eek:

I'd like to think that Britannia passengers would show a little consideration and die quietly. ;)

On one of our QE2 crossings with our young son about 25 years ago the cabin steward said: "You've travelled with us before, haven't you?" When I replied that we had a few times, he said: "You don't really have to attend muster. Just stay in the cabin with your son. Don't be seen wandering around or the 'old man' will get quite upset." I have never missed muster before that and certainly not since. I'm surprised Cunard doesn't scan the cards to ensure all have attended.

Since th muster drill on Cunard ships consists only of learning to know your muster station - which is clearly stated inside the suite at the back of the entrance door - and how to put on the lifejacket I don't bother attending drills on short trips. What would I miss? Nothing at all.

I always make shure to know my muster station. That will do.

I don't believe that Grill passengers give much consideration to the method of propulsion, merely that the new yacht (Orange? Yuk, so last year) conveys them to civilisation and Fortnum and Mason as quickly as possible.

Oars or engines, it is all the same to them, as long as the noise is kept down, the canapé fresh and the champagne chilled.

(Sir Cosmo and Lady Duff-Gordon set the bar very high when setting an example of the standard of behaviour expected from the privileged classes when holding soiree in a lifeboat ;) .)

I was always led to believe that lifeboats for Grill passengers were equipped with ice buckets and iPod docking stations.

What does one wear onboard a lifeboat during the daytime that would match that horrible orange colour. I would certainly have to insist they repaint mine to a more genteel colour.

Archived