Geo Blocking -or why Australians pay a lot more

As most Australians would have already discovered, the cost of a cruise booked in Australia is way costlier than when booked from overseas.

The main reason is that the Australian agencies can -and do- charge what they like.

Unfortunately, many overseas based cruise ship companies (as well as many other companies) that have an Australian presence use a technique called "Geo Blocking" to force any Internet query back to an Australian IP address.

An Australian Federal Parliament committee's chairman, Nick Champion, said geo-blocking was unfair when used to segregate global markets in order to make bigger profits, and pointed to "significant impacts" on Australian consumers and businesses.

(Although this was specifically aimed at software companies, the same should also apply for other companies.)

There also appears to be a grey area with overseas cruise companies' Australian agents refusing the (possibly parent) overseas company permission to sell a ticket direct to a customer using an Australian postal address.

A discussion is sought on this practice which may be in violation of the Australian Consumer Law.

:mad:

As most Australians would have already discovered, the cost of a cruise booked in Australia is way costlier than when booked from overseas.

The main reason is that the Australian agencies can -and do- charge what they like.

Unfortunately, many overseas based cruise ship companies (as well as many other companies) that have an Australian presence use a technique called "Geo Blocking" to force any Internet query back to an Australian IP address.

An Australian Federal Parliament committee's chairman, Nick Champion, said geo-blocking was unfair when used to segregate global markets in order to make bigger profits, and pointed to "significant impacts" on Australian consumers and businesses.

(Although this was specifically aimed at software companies, the same should also apply for other companies.)

There also appears to be a grey area with overseas cruise companies' Australian agents refusing the (possibly parent) overseas company permission to sell a ticket direct to a customer using an Australian postal address.

A discussion is sought on this practice which may be in violation of the Australian Consumer Law.

:mad:

Its just the same as in the motor industry.

Why are Australians and NZers ripped off and have to pay high prices for cars

when we can buy them much cheaper in Japan and the USA.

Its just the same as in the motor industry.

Why are Australians and NZers ripped off and have to pay high prices for cars

when we can buy them much cheaper in Japan and the USA.

That analogy is bogus.

Australia's isolation had made us an innovative bunch.

We just need to find ways around such unfair practices and not reward cruiselines which try to enforce such discrimination.

When Australian prices are competitive, cruisers will support them, otherwise many of us will make our overseas travel purchases elsewhere.

I use a local TA that advertises a "price match guarantee" (part of a large national franchise). I get a firm quote from a US TA, and they match it. The only thing I miss out on is the generous OBC that US passenger seem to have access to and the later full payment date. However, the more cruises I book with him, the more generous he is with OBC and getting a good price. As I understand it, many cruise lines are also honouring price drops (before final payment), which is something that was not common in the past.

Where possible I use future cruise credits, so no money changes hands with my deposits. I am currently very happy with my agent and feel that on balance I am paying very close to what US passengers are paying. I use a price watch website (US based) to see what the current going rate for cabins are. Keep in mind, most US prices don't include taxes, port fees or gratuities. My agent usually includes gratuities in his quotes (including when price matching against a US agent that doesn't!!! Hence my immense satisfaction to date :))

Cheers,

I use a local TA that advertises a "price match guarantee" (part of a large national franchise). I get a firm quote from a US TA, and they match it. Cheers,

I'd like to find one like that!

Or join yours even......

Wonder which part of Sunny Australia they are in?

Archived