Chankanaab excursion in Cozumel

barbgeo

OK... now that I know there is no Guys Burgers on the Carnival Imagination another question has come up during a birthday party this evening. 12 family members are joining myself and my lovely wife Barbara on this excursion when in Cozumel next month. The girls chose this and I am in, no matter how it goes. Has anyone done this and any opinions good or bad would be appreciated Thanks

Geo of BarbGeo

The search feature on Cruise Critic is your best friend. Look up towards the top of the page, click on the thing that says SEARCH and search the entire cruise critic forum (not just the Carnival section) for the word Chankanaab. You will find enough threads about Chankanaab to keep you reading for HOURS!

I have never been on Carnival's excursion, but I've been to Chankanaab. The park has snorkeling, with gear to rent or about $8pp. You have to leave a photo ID for deposit, or I think you could leave a cash deposit. There are chairs and shade. The "beach" is not a typical beach, in that you can not wade into the ocean's edge. It is a very rocky area. There are areas of steps to get into the water, and once you are in, it is deep (over 6 feet). As such, there is no sand stirred up, and it is the perfect spot for snorkeling, especially beginners!

There is a pool, a pretty garden walking path, and the heritage park to enjoy. They do have a website, but I'm not at home so I can't remember the link.

There is also Dolphin Discovery, where there are manatees and sea lions as well. In general, it is a nice spot. No vendors on the beach when we were there, but no waitstaff either.

Sorry I don't know more about your specific excursion; I'm eager to read other responses because we limos chose this excursions as well.

Dolphin Discovery is at Chankanaab Park but you can also go there and just spend the day. We've been there twice. It makes for a fun day and there is a lot to do.

What is offered there......

Swim with Dolphins, Manatees, or Sea Lions

Have a Sea Lion show

Snorkeling area

Pool

Nature area

Thanks for all the feed back. Since my post I have done some searching, and this to me sounds worth the money and above all safe fun for all ages. Average food with plenty of it included in package, swim up bar in pool, and the drinks there in our package are all inclusive. Nature stuff beach with loungers and sand and snorkeling for those interested in that. Gardens and dolphin/sea lion shows. Most reviews good with most unhappy posters mentioning "buffet food." This we can live with. Leaving out of Florida on 11/4. I am quite sure this will be fine for our group.

Geo of BarbGeo

Yes I did not include that ocean access is somewhat limited and for non swimmers sounds troublesome to enter the water. This will be an issue for my wife so we will more than likely stick to the beach chairs and pool.

We brought the kids to Chankanaab Park, and loved it. Don't do it through Carnival though. Just walk to the taxis at the end of the shopping center. Rate should be $8, cabs were very professional. Try to find the coupons online for the park. The trail through the jungle was very cool. The beach was rocky, but the stairs were easy to use. There is also a beach area that you can walk to the water. The snorkeling was also very good in the area.

We brought the kids to Chankanaab Park, and loved it. Don't do it through Carnival though. Just walk to the taxis at the end of the shopping center. Rate should be $8, cabs were very professional. Try to find the coupons online for the park. The trail through the jungle was very cool. The beach was rocky, but the stairs were easy to use. There is also a beach area that you can walk to the water. The snorkeling was also very good in the area.

Definitely just do it yourself. Taxi for up to 4 people is $8 each way. If you want to do any dolphin, manatee or sea lion encounters, sign up right when you get their. Plus you can stay as long as you want and not be herded.

I've been to Chankanaab three times. No reason to buy an excursion through Carnival though. You can do Chankanaab on your own with no problems. I read your excursion description on Carnivals website and I noticed a few things. It does not include any drinks or food on the beach and it states the buffet is near the entrance to the park, just to let you know that is pretty far from the beach/waterfront.

There are waiters on the beach, seems that I remember that you can order a Mexican Plate with a lot of variety for about $15USD and have it delivered straight to your beach chair! Drinks the same, delivered right to your chair!

The taxi stand is easy to get to and prices are posted right at the stand so you know exactly what you are paying before you get it. There is a printable coupon for $2 per adult and $1 per children savings on their webpage. It is $21 for adults and $14 for kids ages 3-11 pre coupon.

I did this on my first ever cruise with no problems at all - we were just two girls but after all I read about Chakanaab on CC, I was confident enough to try it and it was so very easy! We can do this self excursion for the two of us for about $100, drinks, lunch, taxi and admission included. No reason at all to give Carnival $160 for the same thing and not have a beer on the beach included!

My recommendation is do it - but do it on your own and forget Carnival's pricey excursion! Chakanaab is my favorite place in Cozumel!

Chankanaab is our favorite place so far in Cozumel. It is beautiful there with so much to do.

There is an area where you can walk directly into the water. It's a little cove like area with calm water.

IMG_5654-M.jpg

This is an overview of that area (a picture I found online and not mine below)

cozumel%20wedding%20and%20honeymoon%20attractions%20-%20chankanaab-M.jpg

They have a pool, dolphin/manatee/sea lion swims there. They have a free sea lion show. A beautiful lagoon with igauanas walking around. They have a self-guided tour to replica ruins type sculptures and huts. It's a very nice place to spend a day.

I have 2 reviews in my signature line that has TONS of pictures included if you want to see more of the place. :)

We went to Chankanaab Park last year and loved it. We chose to go on our own rather than booking an excursion through the ship since it was much cheaper. We also used the online coupon so that admission was only $19 per adult. You can download the coupon from this page: http://www.cozumelinsider.com/CHANKANAAB

I included pictures of Chankanaab in the review I did. You can find them starting with Post #73: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1674293&page=4

Edited by Gemynii

Is it easy to get a taxi back to the pier when you want to leave the park? Does it get really crowded when several ships are in port?

Thanks.

VERY simple. They have a parking lot on the premises and they all have walkie talkies. The person that directs traffic at the entrance will beep one of them to come over to the entrance when you are ready.

We have been there when 7-8 ships are in port and we never felt crowded.

VERY simple. They have a parking lot on the premises and they all have walkie talkies. The person that directs traffic at the entrance will beep one of them to come over to the entrance when you are ready.

We have been there when 7-8 ships are in port and we never felt crowded.

Thanks.

More Qs:

Are the beach chairs and umbrellas included in admission or do you have to rent them?

Does anyone have a link to a map that shows the layout of the park?

Thanks.

More Qs:

Are the beach chairs and umbrellas included in admission or do you have to rent them?

Does anyone have a link to a map that shows the layout of the park?

Yes, all the chairs and palapas are free.

Untitled-1-L.jpg

google-L.jpg

Found this one on the web:

ChankanaabParkMap2-L.jpg

My fear was the crowd. There are 7 ships in Cozumel when we we are there. I am trying to decide between Chankanaab and Nachi-Cocom. I really want to snorkel. I saw someones picture and the snorkel area was packed and the poster said there was nothing to see but people. This worries me. Any advice??

Edited by goldgirl2