Naples stop replaced with salerno

Aussie Claire

You are actually very lucky. You can easily reach Pompeii but have the advantage of one of the most enchanting coasts in Europe. Naples is not the most user friendly port.

We were switched to Salerno two years ago and found the port to be very friendly. The drive time to Pompeii is shorter.

We did Pompeii in the morning and toured the Amalfia coast in the afternoon. It was one of the best cruises days ever.

You are lucky to have this change.

Celebrity have replaced Naples with Salerno for their Equinox 2014 cruises, does anybody know why this has been changed?:confused:

When did they change that? My august itinerary still shows naples. Would love to have that changed!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When did they change that? My august itinerary still shows naples. Would love to have that changed!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was advised of my cruise change by my TA this morning.

Looking at the Celebrity website, it looks like all the Equinox cruises scheduled for 2014 that would normally stop in Naples are going to stop in Salerno, so you may be in luck.;)

The port area in Salerno is a much nicer place than Naples port, with good transport links to the main sights.

However, the next place on my "to do" list for Naples is the National Archaeological museum. That's going to be much harder to get to.:(

Salerno is nice for those who want to do the Amalfi Coast, but not so great if you want to do Capri, or the Roman sites (Pompeii, Herculaneum) or the Naples Archaeological Museum on your own.

There is no easy bus or train connection to Pompeii and Herculaneum like there is in Naples, and the ferries for Capri are very limited from Salerno.

Salerno is nice for those who want to do the Amalfi Coast, but not so great if you want to do Capri, or the Roman sites (Pompeii, Herculaneum) or the Naples Archaeological Museum on your own.

There is no easy bus or train connection to Pompeii and Herculaneum like there is in Naples, and the ferries for Capri are very limited from Salerno.

Especially if you're in Salerno on a Sunday. The public transportation then is very limited and practically all the shops and restaurants in Salerno are closed.

Oh, No!!!!:eek: we are scheduled to stop on a Sunday.:(

We stopped in Salerno on a Sunday. Many shops were closed on the main street but touristy shops and some food shops were open. Many restaurants were open too. As far as churches/museums are concerned, they are all open on Sunday, albeit with perhaps reduced hours - Monday seems to be the day in Italy when a lot of cultural stuff closes.

Ferries run on a daily schedule (not reduced on Sunday). There are 3 trains between 8.00 and 9.30 on a Sunday to Pompeii which take around half an hour - and another 15 mins on the same train to Herculaneum. Not quite as easy to get to by train as it is from Naples but then it's a MUCH nicer port than Naples and the train station in Salerno is a few minutes pleasant walk from the place where the port bus drops you against a much longer walk from the port in Naples on a very busy road.

Salerno is also a great place from which to visit Paestum.

And if you do feel you want to visit Naples there are several trains an hour on Sundays, the shortest journey taking just over half an hour.

Frankly I applaud them. I wish all cruise lines would switch out ports more often. For the past few years just about every cruise out of Rome had a stop in Naples. And once you been to Capri and Pompeii, I cannot find much of a reason to visit Naples. ( We've been to Sorrento, Amalfi, and Positano too.) We found Naples: dirty, congested, smokers everywhere and throwing butts on the street, pick-pockets galore, flies buzzing around garbage, etc etc. I would much rather find an alternate port.

This is bad news for the local area. The Sita buses are already overcrowded, the coast road is full. I have seen fights break out with people trying to get in the bus!

We holiday in Maiori (15 mins from amalfi, 25 from Salerno) and it is so lovely here. Very few non italian tourists and quiet. With more cruise ships stopping here, the coast road is likely to be a big traffic jam permanently.

I don't think this overcrowded part of Italy can cope with more visitors.

For one of the posters above: It is very easy to get to naples from Salerno. The fast train takes 35 minutes.

Salerno is also a great place from which to visit Paestum.

I wish that our last cruise had gone to Salerno. It is so much closer to Positano and Amalfi. And thank you for mentioning Paestum. I have never heard of it, so looked it up. It's beautiful and looks much prettier than the Acropolis in Athens. I hope that we will be able to go back to the Amalfi coast on one of our cruises so we can take advantage of this new port.

I was advised of my cruise change by my TA this morning.

Looking at the Celebrity website, it looks like all the Equinox cruises scheduled for 2014 that would normally stop in Naples are going to stop in Salerno, so you may be in luck.;)

Correct! My reservation shows that, too. Been to Naples & Capri on my August Cruise so this is great news. Thank you for sharing it!

The port area in Salerno is a much nicer place than Naples port, with good transport links to the main sights.

However, the next place on my "to do" list for Naples is the National Archaeological museum. That's going to be much harder to get to.:(

Be sure to check that the museum will be open the day you are there.

We tried several cruises with a Naples port stop to get to the museum, third cruise was lucky!

First cruise, Millie had pod issues, second, Prinsendam diverted due to storm, made it to Naples last year on Maasdam--because the Sorrento overnite was deemed too rough for tendering so the ship docked in Naples.

The museum is really worth a full day in itself, and if we ever get back to Naples, that is what I will do. We only planned on a couple hours and that was not enough.

Check with info when you enter, various sections close at different times, so you can plan your route and get to see it all.

Have a great trip!

Archived