pre paid tips ? Why do some not pay

dramaqueenjan

Simple solution. ..tip the way YOU want to tip and don't let anyone pressure you to do it their way. What is next? Only tuxedo on formal night? Kinda like humans that say 20% tipping at restaurants is not enough..ohhh tip 30%...ohh tip 40%.

Whatever..wife and I take care of the staff and we know we do.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Forums mobile app

You may want to check that. It is of course incorrect.

How is it incorrect? Cruise staff seem to work hard to ensure a good tip. If tips were out of the equation, I would imagine service would decline. The concept of tipping is meant to ensure good service that the cruise staff work for. Prepaying doesn't mean they have to stay on there and I'm sure the staff knows that. I really think Carnival did it for convenience. You are on vacation, and many people don't carry cash. This way if the day gets away from you, or you aren't sure if you tipped two days ago, so you don't have to go to the desk constantly... this is convenient. And they slip the bill under the door so it isn't a hidden fee just a simplistic convenience. But not everyone is going to agree.

How is it incorrect? Cruise staff seem to work hard to ensure a good tip. If tips were out of the equation, I would imagine service would decline. The concept of tipping is meant to ensure good service that the cruise staff work for. Prepaying doesn't mean they have to stay on there and I'm sure the staff knows that. I really think Carnival did it for convenience. You are on vacation, and many people don't carry cash. This way if the day gets away from you, or you aren't sure if you tipped two days ago, so you don't have to go to the desk constantly... this is convenient. And they slip the bill under the door so it isn't a hidden fee just a simplistic convenience. But not everyone is going to agree.

By the very nature that you don't even tip until after that service is rendered. A server can jump through hoops and still get stiffed.

By the very nature that you don't even tip until after that service is rendered. A server can jump through hoops and still get stiffed.

Typically yes, but cruises are a whole different ball game. I know I wouldn't want to wait in line with a bunch of other people 3 times a day or so on my vacation to work out what to tip. Nor would I want to carry my debit/credit card or cash in fear of losing it. The way they have it set up is more convenient.

Typically yes, but cruises are a whole different ball game. I know I wouldn't want to wait in line with a bunch of other people 3 times a day or so on my vacation to work out what to tip. Nor would I want to carry my debit/credit card or cash in fear of losing it. The way they have it set up is more convenient.

Even on the ships, tips are rendered after service.

Even on the ships, tips are rendered after service.

Which makes sense being people could tip more, tip less, not tip at all. But I don't really see the issue with prepaying tips. It seems then it would be easier to adjust tips (higher, lower) than bombarding guest services with thousands of people a day. But I like that I can prepay it and not worry about it the rest of the cruise unless I have an issue or plan to tip more. But I can do that in one fell swoop instead of wasting time at guest services. If tips weren't prepaid, how would you like it handled?

Which makes sense being people could tip more, tip less, not tip at all. But I don't really see the issue with prepaying tips. It seems then it would be easier to adjust tips (higher, lower) than bombarding guest services with thousands of people a day. But I like that I can prepay it and not worry about it the rest of the cruise unless I have an issue or plan to tip more. But I can do that in one fell swoop instead of wasting time at guest services. If tips weren't prepaid, how would you like it handled?

I see no connection between this, and your statement of tips ensuring promptness.

I see no connection between this, and your statement of tips ensuring promptness.

My original arguement (which I now notice was worded oddly, it was 3am, I was tired) was that including tips in the cruise fare would cause a decline in service. And if you have two employees offering two different levels of service, and they both get paid the same amount, it wouldn't motivate hard work.

We should tip on merit, there is no arguement there. The prepaid tips are a good starting point. And if you want to decrease or increase the tip, that is up to you. But including it in the fare just wouldn't work in this kind of industry. The concept of tipping, someone excepting to receive said tip, I feel ensures good service. This isn't always the case, but in most cases I witness people working hard to earn their tips being that is their salary. And if someone stiffs someone who offers superb service, that is wrong. It is so convenient and I don't see the issue with it.