pre paid tips ? Why do some not pay

dramaqueenjan

tipping under %15 only says to the server you are dishonest and unreasonable.not that they did a bad job but that you are a dishonest person and would steal from people if there was no consequence.

some people are lovers of money more than they are lovers of people and this is becomes evident in in situations like this

I was in agreement with you up until that part. My average tip given last month was 26%. My lowest was 15%. I can only recall one time I tipped ZERO, and I felt it was warranted. That doesn't make me dishonest or a lover of money over people, it means I got garbage service and wasn't willing to pay for it. Nothing more or less. And I certainly don't steal from people, regardless of consequences. Wow. That's pretty far fetched right there.

Now, what you feel and what I feel warrants leaving nothing may differ, but we both have the right to leave any amount we want. If land based restaurants want to start charging 15 - 20% for a service charge and make it not optional they can post that on their menus and make it known upfront that it is a charge for the server. Yes, no?

Edited by LMaxwell

I think its outrageous that people tip for poor service. If I am not happy with a product or a service...I dont pay...simple. Its not me being 'dishonest' or 'cheap' and I would certainly not steal from anybody if I had the chance. Its about paying for what your recieve.

We are forgetting that it is only North America and very few others that tip as they do ( Where tips make up salaries). I think that says a lot how most people view wage systems. I also find it bizarre that some people applaud themselves for tipping extra here and there and sit on their moral high horse yet have no clue about fair trade. If you are so bothered about workers getting a fair wage you should really read about how all your products get to you.

I remove auto tips and pay cash purely because non-one tells me what I should/shouldn't pay. A good chunk of the time it is fair and I know exactly where my money goes. If I am completely honest I would rather put my tip money in a charity tin.

Not getting at anybody in particular...just saying how i see it.

A view of another English lady anyway. ;)

I think its outrageous that people tip for poor service. If I am not happy with a product or a service...I dont pay...simple. Its not me being 'dishonest' or 'cheap' and I would certainly not steal from anybody if I had the chance. Its about paying for what your recieve.

We are forgetting that it is only North America and very few others that tip as they do ( Where tips make up salaries). I think that says a lot how most people view wage systems. I also find it bizarre that some people applaud themselves for tipping extra here and there and sit on their moral high horse yet have no clue about fair trade. If you are so bothered about workers getting a fair wage you should really read about how all your products get to you.

I remove auto tips and pay cash purely because non-one tells me what I should/shouldn't pay. A good chunk of the time it is fair and I know exactly where my money goes. If I am completely honest I would rather put my tip money in a charity tin.

Did you just call english Tim a lady?;)

Plus budgeting for it:D. I call it my run away vacation. The true cost can runaway from you quite easily with tip, transportation, outfits, and possible hotel stay. So three planned, one for my 20th anniversary, plus Carnival for my birthday. The last and final cruise will be the Allure or Oasis. I would love to go without the kids but it would break their hearts so Allure times four plus tip!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Our next is on Oasis (SIL is Diamond + on Royal and convinced me over to six flags of the sea), with the tip;) - and it is pricey!:(

Even in a restaurant, i don't expect to pay for poor quality food. Especially if it's a poor quality cut.

You can certainly give more than you owe 30% .but tips in U.S are really just a wage you pay yourself on the honor system . you work and your boss can give you a bonus , but really there is a minimum expected salary. now if you suck they can fire you but they still must pay you for work done. so to me 15% tip says you got your food and drink at some point and you did not carry your own dishes back to the kitchen but they could have done better. a %20 tip says you are well satisfied with your service and felt nothing was lacking that the server had any control over now If your food sucks refuse to pay the restaurant not the sever . now %15 too %20 is a %25 difference in pay .

tipping under %15 only says to the server you are dishonest and unreasonable.not that they did a bad job but that you are a dishonest person and would steal from people if there was no consequence.

some people are lovers of money more than they are lovers of people and this is becomes evident in in situations like this

Your completely wrong. It's almost that you don't understand the definition of "TIP". If your naïve enough to think that some of the workers are not out for the money(bigger tips) then you are not in reality. So are you going to say that the workers care more about the money than some passenger that wants to befriend him/her? Trust me those workers could care less about you but do care about the money they get from you. It's human.

Your completely wrong. It's almost that you don't understand the definition of "TIP". If your naïve enough to think that some of the workers are not out for the money(bigger tips) then you are not in reality. So are you going to say that the workers care more about the money than some passenger that wants to befriend him/her? Trust me those workers could care less about you but do care about the money they get from you. It's human.

You are taking a vacation that you believe the workers do not care less but you trust them with your food, children, and possible safety :confused:. The love and now the care of money has replaced humanity.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

In the US, old school tipping etiquette at restaurants is 20% for excellent service, 15% for good service, 10% for poor service and a complaint to the manager. Tipping is based on the pretax amount and excludes alcohol. This is a guideline and not a rule as tipping is up to personal discretion. As a practical matter however, if you ever want to go the restaurant ever again, I wouldn't 0% or you may get something extra in your food and drink on your next visit.

I leave the auto-tip on and usually tip a little extra to the steward. However, if I were critique the whole system, then all cruise lines and hotels should pay fare a wage and dump the tipping system. Since that ain't gonna happen any time soon, then an auto-tip $11.50/pp is too much. Here's my reasoning...

At a hotel I would tip housekeeping, and at a restaurant I would tip the waiter. That's it. So if I were to figure out how to divide the auto-tip between the two, here's how I'd do it.

- Housekeeping $2-$5 per day. Let's assume for the moment of $5 per day for excellent housekeeping service.

- Waitstaff 10% to 20% of meals. If we again assume for the moment excellent wait service deserving a 20%, then that equates to $90 per diem of food. ($11.50 auto tip x 2 people = $23.00 - $5 housekeeping = $19 in tips for waitstaff / 20% tip rate = $90 per diem for meals.

I think housekeeping deserves their $5 per day, but I don't think I got that level of quality in the wait service or food . Did you? For a family of four, I can definitely see parents with children adjusting the tip.

Note: Carnival states: $2 of the auto-tip goes to "kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members." I would never tip these people on any land vacation. Porters and concierge being the exception and they should be tipped directly. So safe to say, logic dictates I would start by removing $2 per day not that I ever would. On the other hand, if I could be assured that adjusting the auto-tip would not result in a scarlet letter on my dossier... I probably would.

Edited by kylenyc

I'm not saying the workers are not out for more money its there job. I'm saying some people the kind that don't tip properly when going to a place where the know what the educate is. If you have been to a sit down place to eat or on a cruise before theses fee and or tips wage. How ever you word it is what is exspected. If they don't like it go to Mc donald's . Or go camping. I wish they would call a fee a fee and a tip a tip but they don't. You would have to pay regardless what they call it. Now I can see people with kids adjusting somewhat I'm not in that catagory. But I would rather tip in cash directly to the people in service but that's just me. But I would by no means abuse these hard working people by not paying them. Just because I don't like the way its worded.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

I'm not saying the workers are not out for more money its there job. I'm saying some people the kind that don't tip properly when going to a place where the know what the educate is. If you have been to a sit down place to eat or on a cruise before theses fee and or tips wage. How ever you word it is what is exspected. If they don't like it go to Mc donald's . Or go camping. I wish they would call a fee a fee and a tip a tip but they don't. You would have to pay regardless what they call it. Now I can see people with kids adjusting somewhat I'm not in that catagory. But I would rather tip in cash directly to the people in service but that's just me. But I would by no means abuse these hard working people by not paying them. Just because I don't like the way its worded. Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I was in agreement with you up until that part. My average tip given last month was 26%. My lowest was 15%. I can only recall one time I tipped ZERO, and I felt it was warranted. That doesn't make me dishonest or a lover of money over people, it means I got garbage service and wasn't willing to pay for it. Nothing more or less. And I certainly don't steal from people, regardless of consequences. Wow. That's pretty far fetched right there.

Now, what you feel and what I feel warrants leaving nothing may differ, but we both have the right to leave any amount we want. If land based restaurants want to start charging 15 - 20% for a service charge and make it not optional they can post that on their menus and make it known upfront that it is a charge for the server. Yes, no?

That's why in an earlier statement. I said there is the extreme circumstance. Where you may have tipped less. Not the normal I didn't get my soda refilled in time. So no that does not make you dishonest. But there are many who plan on leaving little to no tip before they ever step into a place. And try to find something wrong so they can justify there actions. And view bad tipping or no tipping as a way to save money. All I'm saying is we all know when we go out %15 to %20 is what is expected. In the u.s any ways some other country's don't pay there people that way. But when in Rome.

Huh?

I'm not saying the workers are not out for more money its there job. I'm saying some people the kind that don't tip properly when going to a place where the know what the educate is. If you have been to a sit down place to eat or on a cruise before theses fee and or tips wage. How ever you word it is what is exspected. If they don't like it go to Mc donald's . Or go camping. I wish they would call a fee a fee and a tip a tip but they don't. You would have to pay regardless what they call it. Now I can see people with kids adjusting somewhat I'm not in that catagory. But I would rather tip in cash directly to the people in service but that's just me. But I would by no means abuse these hard working people by not paying them. Just because I don't like the way its worded.

Tipping in the UK/Europe is different than the U.S. As you noted, in the U.S., you're paying the workers wages.

I've never been to California, but this is the one exception where I truly struggle with tipping my server. California servers are paid minimum wage - they are paid to do their job. As someone who has worked in the service industry previously, I really don't see how they deserve the exact same 15%+ than servers in the rest of the nation.

In the UK, if you're tipping at a restaurant, it's best to ask where exactly that tip is going at the time...because it may be going to management, and your server may never see it!

When systems like this add an auto-gratuity, 9 times out of 10, it's going to be a "fair" amount. I'd argue anything less than the autograt is unfair, which is why when you have a party at a restaurant, an 18-20% gratuity is tacked on.

Worth noting is that we tip barbers and bartenders too. And massage therapists.

20 pages!!! I knew we could do it!

The (mostly British) tip removers, with they doctoral thesis' on the elegance of tip removing, have sent this thread into orbit! Well done, old chap, time for a spot of tea? Just don't tip the butler who brings it, his owner should pay a living wage! And don't say thank you, no sir, he is thanked when I pay him. No one is going to force me to say thank you, I control what words come out of my mouth!!!!

I have spent many threads on other cruise websites defending Carnival cruisers, we are not low class like so many lines think we are. Just regular folk.

Threads like this make me wonder....

I have been a bartender over half of my life and could write a book on the subject :)

Probably 90% of the time I can tell if I will get tipped well or not at all

I would really love to hear that sometime.

Some people don't like the idea of tips that are forced upon them? Anyways, congrats this will be a 20 page thread.

Well you are indeed correct! This thread is now 20 pages as you forecast. I shall call you Nostradamus :D This was post number 2 right under the OP.

Edited by n6uqqq

20 pages!!! I knew we could do it!

The (mostly British) tip removers, with they doctoral thesis' on the elegance of tip removing, have sent this thread into orbit! Well done, old chap, time for a spot of tea? Just don't tip the butler who brings it, his owner should pay a living wage! And don't say thank you, no sir, he is thanked when I pay him. No one is going to force me to say thank you, I control what words come out of my mouth!!!!

I have spent many threads on other cruise websites defending Carnival cruisers, we are not low class like so many lines think we are. Just regular folk.

Threads like this make me wonder....

I would really love to hear that sometime.

Clearly there are no winners here.

Sometimes the minority are right, but at the end of the day it is uo the individual to what they consider to be right.

Well you are indeed correct! This thread is now 20 pages as you forecast. I shall call you Nostradamus :D This was post number 2 right under the OP.

Doesn't take Nostradamus to know that, just someone that knows the hot topics. Tipping and Smoking are two of the hottest.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Doesn't take Nostradamus to know that, just someone that knows the hot topics. Tipping and Smoking are two of the hottest.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Don't forget the granddaddy of them all...... chair hogs! As for tipping, I just leave the auto tips on.

I remember my very first cruise. I was invited to a family vacation by my mother. I was told what cruise like to book (princess) what ship and what date. I went online, and decided my wife and I could scratch enough together to afford the cheapest inside cabin available. Just barely. I paid my cash and my mother actually paid our plane tickets to get there.

Imagine my surprise when I realized this was not a all-inclusive vacation? That "hidden fees" were added. Did I ultimately end up paying the tips? Of course, but as we were stretched soooo thin (we were early 20's and niece still), we had already known we would be a month back on utility bills. The tip money ultimately made us loose our electricity for a couple of weeks.

The tips should be stated up front when booking a room, before you hit the all-important BUY NOW button.

They should be paid, but sliding it all in after the fact is not very honorable.

I remember my very first cruise. I was invited to a family vacation by my mother. I was told what cruise like to book (princess) what ship and what date. I went online, and decided my wife and I could scratch enough together to afford the cheapest inside cabin available. Just barely. I paid my cash and my mother actually paid our plane tickets to get there.

Imagine my surprise when I realized this was not a all-inclusive vacation? That "hidden fees" were added. Did I ultimately end up paying the tips? Of course, but as we were stretched soooo thin (we were early 20's and niece still), we had already known we would be a month back on utility bills. The tip money ultimately made us loose our electricity for a couple of weeks.

The tips should be stated up front when booking a room, before you hit the all-important BUY NOW button.

They should be paid, but sliding it all in after the fact is not very honorable.

While I agree if it's your first time cruising, all the extras can catch you by surprise. But that holds true for a lot of things, motels concerts sporting events. But if your mother cruised before she should have let you know. I always let people know ahead of time about all the extras on top of the cruise price. I tell them don't take pictures with the locals unless you are willing to pay them, they don't do it because they like you. I learned it all the hard way.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

While I agree if it's your first time cruising, all the extras can catch you by surprise. But that holds true for a lot of things, motels concerts sporting events. But if your mother cruised before she should have let you know. I always let people know ahead of time about all the extras on top of the cruise price. I tell them don't take pictures with the locals unless you are willing to pay them, they don't do it because they like you. I learned it all the hard way.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

It was also her first time cruising unfortunately. We were not wise enough of the world abroad to know very much. Fortunately now we can plan and tip, and even have reserves of cash for those times we cannot or do not plan for!

It was also her first time cruising unfortunately. We were not wise enough of the world abroad to know very much. Fortunately now we can plan and tip, and even have reserves of cash for those times we cannot or do not plan for!

I was in the same boat ( or ship ) :) my first cruise was a family cruise as well, and first for us all. And all those extras caught us off guard to. Not only the cruise ship tips but shuttle drivers, porters, island locals. My wife and I were young as well and barely making it by. We also felt like we had to make up for people who didn't tip, back then tips weren't pre paid, you stuck it in envelops. Now we know though.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Edited by nitro2448