pre paid tips ? Why do some not pay

dramaqueenjan

One time we had a room steward who was very rude and did a terrible job and just felt like he did not deserve a tip. This way we are tipping everyone who does their job. I know we are now giving much more than before and have no problem with that. I know there are people that don't tip at all and find that to be wrong. Heck..tip room service but some cruisers don't. We appreciate the service we get. We tip when we order drinks at dinner, lunch, etc.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Forums mobile app

All drinks purchased include a 15% tip automatically. Even in the MDR or any dining venue.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

One time we had a room steward who was very rude and did a terrible job and just felt like he did not deserve a tip. This way we are tipping everyone who does their job. I know we are now giving much more than before and have no problem with that. I know there are people that don't tip at all and find that to be wrong. Heck..tip room service but some cruisers don't. We appreciate the service we get. We tip when we order drinks at dinner, lunch, etc.

It seems like a lot to go through when you have had one problem. The per day charge that goes on your sign and sail (that you removed) does not have anything to do with room service, or drink service. You can do what you want (as you already know;)). Just seems to me a lot of work t go down and remove tips because one time you had a rude room steward. If the vast majority of times they been acceptable (which has been the case on our 28 cruises over three brands) and you are going to tip more anyway, then why not just leave it on and tip the extra you would give them (at the end of the cruise). If you have an issue, then go down and remove the tips for the issue.

Trust me, they would appreciate that more then the way you are doing it.

Maybe a part of me feels like I am actually giving them the tip vs trusting the cruise line to give it to them. I feel comfortable doing it this way and no big trouble on my behalf. :-)

Maybe a part of me feels like I am actually giving them the tip vs trusting the cruise line to give it to them. I feel comfortable doing it this way and no big trouble on my behalf. :-)

It's your call.

It seems like a lot to go through when you have had one problem. The per day charge that goes on your sign and sail (that you removed) does not have anything to do with room service, or drink service. You can do what you want (as you already know;)). Just seems to me a lot of work t go down and remove tips because one time you had a rude room steward. If the vast majority of times they been acceptable (which has been the case on our 28 cruises over three brands) and you are going to tip more anyway, then why not just leave it on and tip the extra you would give them (at the end of the cruise). If you have an issue, then go down and remove the tips for the issue.

Trust me, they would appreciate that more then the way you are doing it.

Exactly Jimbo !!!

One cruise one cabin steward ;)

So you think the cruise line will not pay their staff and keep the money ? Really ?

I thought I read it all

;)

I agree also and sleep ok knowing that I take tip good. Heck, one cruise I brought gifts for the room steward, ass' t and dining staff in addition to tips. Wife and I don't make much and wish we can take more cruises but I appreciate all that the staff does. We are cruising on December 8th for my birthday and I will once again take gifts with holidays right there.

I agree also and sleep ok knowing that I take tip good. Heck, one cruise I brought gifts for the room steward, ass' t and dining staff in addition to tips. Wife and I don't make much and wish we can take more cruises but I appreciate all that the staff does. We are cruising on December 8th for my birthday and I will once again take gifts with holidays right there.

If one appreciates the staff let them get paid they don't want gifts. Gifts don't pay bills money does

Its very easy to just leave to auto tips on and a lot of work to remove them and even more work to justify removing them ;)

I see we all have differences in how we view this and that is healthy. I'll continue to do it my way and sam can do it his way..rebecca her way...mike his way..well you know what I am trying to say:D

I see we all have differences in how we view this and that is healthy. I'll continue to do it my way and sam can do it his way..rebecca her way...mike his way..well you know what I am trying to say:D

I know exactly what you mean .Save money on the expense of the staff that makes your cruise great ;)

i see we all have differences in how we view this and that is healthy. I'll continue to do it my way and sam can do it his way..rebecca her way...mike his way..well you know what i am trying to say:d

sent from my sgh-t999l using forums mobile app

Pauline, her way:D

Respect, the right granted to tip a certain way and those who find it necessary to flame those who do it differently!

Edited by Blk_Amish

One time I slept in late.

Hangover from my smuggled booze.

I forgot to put out the Do not disturb sign.

There was a knock on the door, I told the room steward to skip the morning cleaning.

Finally hit the pool at three pm. I went back to my room to mix a smuggled booze cocktail.

Surprise, the room was made up.

Should I have stiffed the room steward because he didn't listen to me?

There was a knock on the door, I told the room steward to skip the morning cleaning.

Finally hit the pool at three pm. I went back to my room to mix a smuggled booze cocktail.

I got one better, my first cruise was my honeymoon and the do not disturb sign never came off the door . No I didn't stiffed the room steward, then again maybe I did, or it could have been someone else. It was 20 years ago before forums , name calling, and put downs existed.

Tipping is like tithe, between you and your conscience. When my kids are involved, there is no forgetting or hangover. When I say do not enter because of my kids, I expect that to be understood and respected. I have a daughter, so I would NEVER forget. I would not drink to the point of a hangover, my cruise is too special for me. Maybe that's just me! If I got that surprise I would be pissed but again I wouldn't forget to put the sign on.

I have never adjusted the tip but respect those who exercise their right and follow their conscience.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

Tipping is meant to ensure good service. I feel when it comes to cruising it is merit based. If it was prepaid, the service may not be as good. I would imagine Carnival would want your tip to reflect the service you received and not some necessary evil in the cruise booking fee. I would imagine any business in the service/hospitality would want your tip to reflect the service you received.

When you go to a restaurant is your tip included in the price of your entree? No.

Tip reasonably. Everyone works so hard to give you an amazing vacation.

25 pages and now the plot thickens when a self proclaimed smuggler/drunk jumps in on a tipping thread. Already present are those who insist on twisting what is said to fit in a flammable, name calling, put down category. Its been decided that you are cheap if you don't tip, reduce tip, tip cash, or even question the tipping policy, so who or what else can be added to that cheap list?

Alcohol as we all should know is a cash cow for the cruise line. Let's say most or some of those who tip decide I am going to smuggle enough booze to get drunk to the point of a hangover or even tipsy. Now profit is down, so the company can either raise fare, water down the drinks, or hire less people to do the same amount of work. Its been reported that the workers get a base rate, so less of that. Ha, it's nice to see those in glass house and with sin throwing stones. This can't be complete without the person who thinks a nice outfit is not required for a cruise. Really, if people can't bother to buy a nice outfit for the MDR, why bother serve a decent cut of steak? Could this be because people smuggle, to the point of a hangover, affecting profit and therefore the need for BIG cut back in a short period of time, hmmmmmmm?

I am not one to judge but I am seeing how Carnival has gotten the reputation of being fun:eek: :D:p I do enjoy the fun!

Tip and tithe, really between you and your conscience. Now, it's time to read the past tipping threads to see how may of us show up there condemning, admitting, or condoning smuggling.

Edited by Blk_Amish

B, don't take it personal, weren't you the one who suggested to lower tips when you were suggesting that your kids would be in the room.

So the room steward would not come in on them.

Tip early and often.:p

Who's culture is it not to tip?

Your statement, not mine.

B, don't take it personal, weren't you the one who suggested to lower tips when you were suggesting that your kids would be in the room.

So the room steward would not come in on them.

Tip early and often.:p

Who's culture is it not to tip?

Your statement, not mine.

No, I didn't suggest, I asked if it should be lowered IF...... and that I understand why a family sharing a cabin might adjust the tip. Showing understanding should not be an issues.

I am stated repeatedly the tip should be included because with the cheap fares more and more are booking without being truly able to afford the true cost of the vacation. What I did not do is put down people who follow their way not mine. I enjoy Carnival product but in a short period of time it has declined greatly. Others want the cheap fare more than I do because I stated if there was an overall increase I would pay it or stay home. Nay, find another vacation:D

I mention kids being in and out and someone interpreted that I have my kids running around unsafely, personal! I mentioned 2 children but one is NOW (not on the cruise) 18, not sure why that was misinterpreted as if we stop calling those that we birth kids after they reach 18. No never adjusted, never canceled, never refused to tip, but not willing to judge others since its suggested!

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

Who is stiffing the room Steward? Lol