pre paid tips ? Why do some not pay

dramaqueenjan

Then I assume the first night of the cruise you inform your steward they do not need to enter your room, no service for the week?

And the same for the dining room staff?

If not, why not?

I have been in some very tough spots in my life, and you know how I afforded to cruise? I didn't, because I could not afford it.

I will not subsidize my cruise on the backs of those who work hard on the ship. I would not be able to sleep at night. But that is just me.

First, because something is difficult, doesn't mean it's not done. Because someone can understand another's position doesn't mean it's theirs. Maybe that's just me.

Yes, I inform the steward not to clean my cabin on sea says because my kids are in and out of the room. I get clean towels and that's good for us. The kids are required to dine in the main dining on formal nights but buffet most other times.

Based on that my tip should be adjusted, correct?

If at any point in your life you find that you can't sleep, enjoy a nice glass of wine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Then I assume the first night of the cruise you inform your steward they do not need to enter your room, no service for the week?

And the same for the dining room staff?

If not, why not?

I have been in some very tough spots in my life, and you know how I afforded to cruise? I didn't, because I could not afford it.

I will not subsidize my cruise on the backs of those who work hard on the ship. I would not be able to sleep at night. But that is just me.

Do you really think because you pay the suggested tip this is not happening, it's no longer subsidized? Most of our lifestyle is subsidize on the backs of poor workers not only on ships but factories over the world. Paying 11.50 for one or times four is not going to change that. Without the wine we should be loosing a lot of sleep unless the bottle or box was made in China. We are now great humanitarians for paying the suggested tips, really?

Edited by Blk_Amish

I guess what i disliked was the fact that the agent didnt ask. I even had to say, can you please give me the pricing without the tips in ( i had obviously searched all prices and she was a llittle confusing i suppose) but yes, just the simple fact she began rambling off prices that were much higher than what i saw online.

so I say... that is not what i see on the website... and she breaks it down even to the port taxes, and grats.

I have no issue with paying grats and yes its same amount only thing is, with giving all the children and their families this gift.. I really didnt want to also pay the 1100 or so in gratuities as they can pay that themselves.

the agent should not have assumed that i would simply prepay the grats, different if it were just two of us but considering the number of rooms and persons i was booking, you would think that would be even more reason to think hhmm maybe this lady doesnt want to pay the 1100 in grats as well, lets ask her....

Never once in many cruises that I have been on has any agent added pre paid grats or even asked me to unless I asked them to pre pay them .NEVER even brought up !! The insurance is a different thing and they always try to upsell

First, because something is difficult, doesn't mean it's not done. Because someone can understand another's position doesn't mean it's theirs. Maybe that's just me.

Yes, I inform the steward not to clean my cabin on sea says because my kids are in and out of the room. I get clean towels and that's good for us. The kids are required to dine in the main dining on formal nights but buffet most other times.

If at any point in your life you find that you can't sleep, enjoy a nice glass of wine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

The kids are required to dine in the main dining on formal nights but buffet most other times.

The same staff that works the dining room works the buffet just during different times of the day (and night) ;)

Good try though

The kids are required to dine in the main dining on formal nights but buffet most other times.

The same staff that works the dining room works the buffet just during different times of the day (and night) ;)

Good try though

You conveniently missed the part where I said the cabin is NOT cleaned on sea days because I have children and now to be more specific a daughter....why? This is besides the point because whether or not the cabin was cleaned everyday or we ate in the MRD and buffet every night, $350 for 'TIP' for a family of 4 is ridiculous. If anyone wants to take from this that it's not paid, go ahead. However why did you deliberately and knowingly ignore the part about the cabin in your reply, you wouldn't be conjuring something in the air, would you? Yep, really good try and for that reason I don't believe the some of the claims.

Again YES, the steward is inform about NOT entering the room because my kids are in and out. The waiter is inform when my kids won't be at dinner out of courtesy!

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

You conveniently missed the part where I said the cabin is NOT cleaned on sea days because I have children and to be more specific a daughter....why? This is besides the point because whether or not the cabin was cleaned everyday or we each in the MRD and buffet every night, $350 for 'TIP' for a family of 4 is ridiculous. If anyone wants to take from this that it's not paid, go ahead. Why did you deliberately and knowingly ignore the part about the cabin in your reply, you wouldn't be conjuring something in the air, would you? yep, Really good try!

Pauline

Exactly !!! $350 for a family of 4 is ridiculous !!!

So you should tell a cabin steward when and what he does in your cabin!!! You don't own the cruise line.

You know very well I smell what your cookin ;)

You conveniently missed the part where I said the cabin is NOT cleaned on sea days because I have children and to be more specific a daughter....why? This is besides the point because whether or not the cabin was cleaned everyday or we ate in the MRD and buffet every night, $350 for 'TIP' for a family of 4 is ridiculous. If anyone wants to take from this that it's not paid, go ahead. Why did you deliberately and knowingly ignore the part about the cabin in your reply, you wouldn't be conjuring something in the air, would you? Yep, really good try and for that reason I don't believe the some of the claims.

Again YES, the steward is informed about NOT entering the room because my kids are in and out. The waiter is informed when my kids won't be at dinner out of courtesy!

Pauline

So the cabin steward does not deserve his pay because you let your kids run around as they please as they wish .Why would one not watch their children and keep them safe

And the wait staff is informed when the kids will not be at dinner ,do they not deserve to be paid? The buffet workers are the wait staff just different shifts at different times of the day

Edited by mikel24m

So the cabin steward does not deserve his pay because you let your kids run around as they please as they wish .Why would one not watch their children and keep them safe

And the wait staff is informed when the kids will not be at dinner ,do they not deserve to be paid? The buffet workers are the wait staff just different shifts at different times of the day

Wow, you got from that, my kids run around as they please and wish because I say in and out, really? I take it you don't have children but after awhile they are allowed to leave the cabin by them self since the oldest is now 18 and the younger 15. Some parents would rather not have someone enter the cabin when their kids are inside, could be inside, or should be inside. No problem, next time I will pack the duct tape and tape them to my side.

You tell me, if I don't use the service should I adjust the tip? You took from my post that I do not tip the full amount, correct? Which by the way is a right granted to me by Carnival?

Edited by Blk_Amish

Wow, you got from that my kids run around as they please and wish because I say in and out, really? I take it you don't have children but after awhile they are allowed to leave the cabin by them self since the oldest is now 18 and the younger 15.

You tell me if I don't use the service should I adjust the tip?

No children but a very big family

We can go at this one another 16000 views

So now its 3 adults and a 15 year old

What service should you not use ? Everyone likes a clean cabin and some nice towel animals after dinner when you go back to your stateroom

It should be a requirement to go into each cabin each day (it actually may be)

No children but a very big family

We can go at this one another 16000 views

So now its 3 adults and a 15 year old

What service should you not use ? Everyone likes a clean cabin and some nice towel animals after dinner when you go back to your stateroom

It should be a requirement to go into each cabin each day (it actually may be)

Thank you and we will continue this when that answer is YES!.....LOL!

Happy cruising and tipping

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

Do you really think because you pay the suggested tip this is not happening, it's no longer subsidized?

I am satisfying the relationship between myself and those who are serving me. If I screw them out of their earned tips for no reason other than my cheapness, they are subsidizing my cruise.

That is my opinion, you are free to judge me as a sap if you like. I am also free to judge the tip removers as cheap bastards, no matter how anyone justifies it.

If you are don't agree with tipping, are too good for it, it is too expensive for you, then do not cruise. If you get crap service, reduce or remove. Otherwise, stop the justifications and do what is right.

It all boils down to being cheap then justifying in your own mind why you feel the need to defend your cheapness.

Simple. Pay the tips. Perhaps more sometimes. And smile when you do it. :D

Well said.

I am still waiting for one of the tip removal brigade to explain why they do not tell their servers or room steward on the first night they plan to remove tips. I am wondering why they do not do this? Take a stand for what is right, tell the staff you are removing your tips! Give them a copy of one of the long posts you have made here, they will understand your beliefs.

They deserve to know how you stick up for your beliefs.

tipping-email-lido-blog.jpg

Well said.

I am still waiting for one of the tip removal brigade to explain why they do not tell their servers or room steward on the first night they plan to remove tips. I am wondering why they do not do this? Take a stand for what is right, tell the staff you are removing your tips! Give them a copy of one of the long posts you have made here, they will understand your beliefs.

Save your breath $350 for a family of 4 is ridiculous :)

16000 views and the cheap will defend the cheap (until the thread gets locked)

Most do the dirty work the last night after they had a great vacation and do it with a smile at the pursers desk after they have that nice last big meal. They skip the show :)

The tip removal brigade is too busy buying thank you notes and trinkets that the staff may be able to sell to feed their families

Save your breath $350 for a family of 4 is ridiculous :)

16000 views and the cheap will defend the cheap (until the thread gets locked)

Most do the dirty work the last night after they had a great vacation and do it with a smile at the pursers desk after they have that nice last big meal. They skip the show :)

The tip removal brigade is too busy buying thank you notes and trinkets that the staff may be able to sell to feed their families

While I have little to no doubt that some behave just as you state, there are others who almost just as certainly may have received poor service and / or have other reasons for removing automatically paid gratuities.

I don't think it is fair to paint all with the same brush; that is all my point is.

I am satisfying the relationship between myself and those who are serving me. If I screw them out of their earned tips for no reason other than my cheapness, they are subsidizing my cruise.

That is my opinion, you are free to judge me as a sap if you like. I am also free to judge the tip removers as cheap bastards, no matter how anyone justifies it.

If you are don't agree with tipping, are too good for it, it is too expensive for you, then do not cruise. If you get crap service, reduce or remove. Otherwise, stop the justifications and do what is right.

Good for you as I am. No, I do not agree with the so-called 'tipping'. Again, not agreeing with something doesn't mean you don't pay it. It means you have the peanuts to say it and not be afraid for other so-called adults calling you names. I already stated, I am cheap for the mere fact I do that I cruise Carnival. As for judging how you tip is your right and business, granted to you by Carnival and exercise by your conscience. A right doesn't have to be justified, merely exercise. Now, you are on a cruise forum calling people you don't know a cheap b@###$d. I haven't read that before, oh yes I have on the Carnival forum. It's the great power anonymity give to people with no face and real name but i am sure the name calling and put downs are done at home....smh!

You are free to judge. I think that's a right granted to you by being American, isn't it? So beside tipping and cruising, please enjoy the other rights one being judging those you don't do as you wish. So incredible lovely!

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

So B_A, I get to reduce tips $.50 for each wash cloth:p I don't use, if I tell the room steward.

Please exercise your right to do as you wish and if other don't follow, exactly the way you wish, knock them over the head with name calling and put downs. There are cultural differences that are clearly established and not much is going to change. Some won't tip and others will always find it BIG to call name, put down or twist what is said to what they want it to be to justify the flame. I never once said I did not tip the full amount or even adjusted it, regardless of service used. This is over 20 years of cruising, 3 lines, and 14 cruises, with 3 planned. I stated if this is expected to be paid, it should be included (tax, port charge, tip) or at least mentioned at the time of booking (air, insurance). However, I respect the fact the option is given for people to follow their own conscience. That's might be the biggest cultural divide, respect, which others call defending the right of cheap, so be it. Cheap might make or give change but the latter, fat chance:D.

Respect and happy cruisin':D:p:)

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

Well said.

well said!

Just last 2 cruises wife and I decided to remove the tips and we tipped throughout cruise and at end of cruise. We actually tipped more than previous cruises.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Forums mobile app

That would put you in the minority of people who remove tips (paying more). Your post begs the question why?

That would put you in the minority of people who remove tips (paying more). Your post begs the question why?

One time we had a room steward who was very rude and did a terrible job and just felt like he did not deserve a tip. This way we are tipping everyone who does their job. I know we are now giving much more than before and have no problem with that. I know there are people that don't tip at all and find that to be wrong. Heck..tip room service but some cruisers don't. We appreciate the service we get. We tip when we order drinks at dinner, lunch, etc.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Forums mobile app