Max's Mom on the Explorer ~ 10/13/13 ~ My Picture Diary

maxs mom

Friday ~ October 18, 2013 ~ Bermuda

Woke up early this morning to a beautiful day! Love our port side balcony!

DSC01309_zps83c66351.jpg

DSC01311_zpsfb08dcc4.jpg

DSC01312_zpsd536334f.jpg

Good Morning!!

DSC01310_zps11c0abcc.jpg

Had breakfast this morning with two other couples that were cruising together. They met on another cruise and became friends and like to cruise together now. Turns out one couple were in the cabin right next to us! Great food, service, and conversation!

DSC01316_zpsa44ebd01.jpg

After breakfast we all set out to stroll the Dockyard once more.......the weather was beautiful......it even got pretty HOT.

DSC01320_zps03544458.jpg

I went back to a store to get a sweatshirt that I had seen earlier. We went to the Rum Cake/Glassblowing place. First we sampled the Rum Cake. My favorite was the Rum Swizzle!!

DSC01321_zps496f9f95.jpg

Then we watched some of the Glassblowing stuff. Really interesting. They have a neat show of this on the Celebrity Solstice Class ships.

DSC01322_zps125a77ee.jpg

DSC01323_zps74723d60.jpg

DSC01325_zps1e60d758.jpg

Lots of pretty things to buy:

DSC01327_zps60a5aaf5.jpg

Right, Janet?

DSC01330_zps51a23ef8.jpg

So it was back to the ship in time for lunch.

DSC01353_zps3233fe75.jpg

DSC01354_zpsee493e34.jpg

That's our cabin.....the last one on Deck 7. Tiny little balcony!

DSC01355_zps2153e821.jpg

One last look at this beautiful harbor!

DSC_0628_zps8b0dfae7.jpg

Some folks were still out jet skiing!

DSC_0629_zps229675d7.jpg

We went to the Windjammer for lunch. It was a little more crowded today.....but still not that bad. I must say that I have been very happy with the Windjammer all week.. Crowds were not bad and the food was excellent. I enjoyed the fresh salad and the meat from the carving station. I also enjoyed the paninis that they had. Desserts are still lacking, in my opinion, but they did have some really good bread pudding one day and some rice pudding that was really good. Thank goodness for the frozen yogurt machine.

Edited by max'smom

Thanks for the great review and wonderful photos. I will be boarding her soon.

Do you happen to know when Wendy will be leaving to get married? I have several Explorer cruises over the next few months and always enjoy seeing her.

I'm not really sure, but she said something about a couple of months. Hope you can see her again. She is wonderful!

Just want to add my thanks for this wonderful review. Congratulations on your retirement, mine is planned for 6 months from now.

I'll have to admit that I haven't sailed from New Jersey since I went on the inaugural for Freedom, mainly because that embarkation was very painful. I was happy to read that it seemed much easier for you, maybe I should try it again.

I may get an inaugural on the Quantum which I understand will be sailing from that port so I could get that chance.

thanks again for your review!!! (since you were a teacher maybe you can check my spelling)

Hello, we are doing the QOS inaugural and I think with the new terminal being completed by then the embarkation process should be much easier and less painful. Enjoy your weekend.

Thursday ~ October 17' date=' 2013 ~ Bermuda[/size']

Woke up early and it was pouring down rain.....oh well.....what can you do?

DSC01215_zps1ab48b2c.jpg

Go get some coffee in the CL I guess. I was surprised when one other person came in and got their coffee and left. The coffee machine in the CL is one of the old ones, but it worked well and I think the coffee was better than from the new fancy machines that they have on the newer ships!

DSC01216_zpsff8ffd3c.jpg

We had another fabulous breakfast this morning at 8:15 and while we were eating, the weather began clearing up!!

We finally make the decision to go to the beach!! Yay!! Janet and Gene decided to go to Hamilton.

Those of you that know me know that I seek out the very best beach possible on each island and that's where we go. I can't stand beaches that are crowded and have too many cruise passengers!! Ha! I go to the beach to relax, have lunch, adult beverages, and a quiet time. We had reservations at this resort yesterday, but since it rained, they said that we could come today instead. Good thing because this ended up being the highlight of our trip!!

I learned of this resort from one of our roll call buddies, Gail. She had been here before and was very helpful in providing the info we needed to make reservations and other arrangements.

We have been to Bermuda many times before and have always enjoyed Horseshoe Bay. But the last time we were there.....the crowds were unbearable, so I wanted to try something different and I am sure glad we did.

The name of the resort is Coco Reef. It is adjacent to Elbow Beach. They have a day pass available for $49 pp. This includes 2 chairs, an umbrella, towel, beach, pool, a wonderful two to three course meal with beer and wine. Wow!!

Luckily we met up with Gail and 3 others at the taxi stand and we were able to share a taxi out to the resort and that was very affordable. The taxi fare was $44 and we split it 6 ways. Very reasonable and much better than taking the bus. The bus stop is out on the street and there is a long walk from there to the resort......not an option for us. We arranged with the taxi driver to come back and pick us up at 3:30. Great deal!

After about a 30 minute taxi ride, we were dropped off right at the door of the resort. This is the lobby:

DSC01275_zpsb1e015d8.jpg

We checked in easily and got our towels then walked out through the restaurant area and the pool area and down to the beach area.

DSC01271_zps039ebca0.jpg

DSC01269_zpsa060b1c6.jpg

Again, than you for taking the time to do this wonderful review. Horseshoe Bay was one of our favorite spots, but thank you for the hint here. Beautiful photo shots as well..thank you for sharing these. I appreciate all your time you have been putting into this review. Have a wonderful weekend.:)

Hello, we are doing the QOS inaugural and I think with the new terminal being completed by then the embarkation process should be much easier and less painful. Enjoy your weekend.

Again, than you for taking the time to do this wonderful review. Horseshoe Bay was one of our favorite spots, but thank you for the hint here. Beautiful photo shots as well..thank you for sharing these. I appreciate all your time you have been putting into this review. Have a wonderful weekend.:)

Thank you! Most of the beaches on every island that we like going to have gotten so popular that we have been forced to go elsewhere. I enjoy getting off the beaten path and we have found some great places.

Did a little reading after lunch.....then I went to the Top Tier sail away on the Helipad at 3:45.

Thy had champagne and sugary drinks up there. There was a guitarist.....nice ambiance.

DSC01357_zps5558d567.jpg

It was so crowded that I couldn't see anything. It was very HOT up there as well. Met up with a few CC people. Wendy gave out s few crystal blocks to people.

DSC01358_zps09d436df.jpg

DSC01360_zps6bfa75a7.jpg

DSC01361_zps9b44547d.jpg

DSC01362_zps7c88b72f.jpg

DSC01364_zps0703ff64.jpg

This is Leigh making some announcements:

DSC01365_zps59329b4c.jpg

I had a nice chat with Wendy. I told her that LA's like her are few and far between. She does such a nice job!!

DSC01368_zps89eaee7b.jpg

DSC01370_zpsbb4e249a.jpg

Beautiful sail away:

DSC01369_zps6a49751d.jpg

DSC01371_zpsb339f749.jpg

Edited by max'smom

Went back to the cabin for a little nap before dinner.

It was formal night and we decided to go with just a short dress and a shirt and tie tonight.

DSC01381_zpsbc431a7d.jpg

The CL was, once again, pretty dead. I got bored and took this picture!

DSC01384_zps506d93e0.jpg

Julian had some time to spend with us:

DSC01385_zps439f3c13.jpg

And Pat came in and joined us as well:

DSC01386_zps425b19c9.jpg

Denzil was in a good mood:

DSC01387_zps818f8caa.jpg

As well as the greeter in MTD!

DSC01388_zpsf4a46d77.jpg

In the dining room, we were back with Rodney and Kenger tonight, so that made us happy!

DSC01390_zps134124d6.jpg

DSC01391_zpsba8d90ae.jpg

I had the mushroom pastry tonight......always good.....

DSC01392_zps7123537d.jpg

We both got the Prime Rib......very nice cut.....but too salty and too much to eat!

DSC01393_zpsc21a4525.jpg

Dessert was the Grand Marnier Souffle......very nice!

DSC01394_zps74a85002.jpg

Very nice dinner!

Scan00112_zps0e4ca1ee.jpg

Erkey and Leigh did a nice spin on the old bra joke:

DSC_0647_zpse4b3b418.jpg

DSC_0648_zps04e1095b.jpg

DSC01411_zpsfa899122.jpg

Real proud of Janet and Gene for participating in this quest.......how many people can your team get with both feet on a beach towel. I've never seen that one before.

DSC01412_zps75e6b4c2.jpg

DSC01414_zps1d7e9860.jpg

We got 20. The winning team got 24.

Out team's final Quest:

DSC01418_zps5404525f.jpg

We didn't win, but a good time was had by all!