QM2 Sailaway

Scrapnana

According to the port schedule, Explorer of the Seas is due out at 16:00. It hasn't moved yet (25 min late). I hope it goes quickly so it can be past the bridge before QM2 leaves. If not, I hope QM2 gets the spotlight.

Roy

I just received a call from my DW who is on board; she says departure is delayed until 18:30 because of passengers arriving on a flight (which landed at 17:00).

I was so looking forward to viewing the sail away on the webcam in the sunlight!

Thanks for the departure update - and a good reason to book a flight with Cunard if one flies in this close to sailing. After dark it will be more difficult to see her departing Redhook dock because the dock is about 5NM from the Harbor House cam. But as she gets closer to Staten Island you should see her lit up in all her glory. I believe the cam operators are "groupies" of the ship and they'll focus on her. At the moment there is no tanker or container ship moored down near the bridge so there should be a nice unobstructed shot of her.

Scrapnana,

Will we be berthing at a different location to what we can see in your picture?

QM2 always berths at Redhook unless it's unavailable - a situation that happened last year when superstorm Sandy had caused extensive salt water damage to the Redhook operating systems. The Manhattan terminal requires a longer turn around as those docks were designed for mid-twentieth century liners. That, and the US Coast Guard has to extend the normal security zone since QM2's derriere extends past the pier.

Thanks for the departure update - and a good reason to book a flight with Cunard if one flies in this close to sailing. After dark it will be more difficult to see her departing Redhook dock because the dock is about 5NM from the Harbor House cam. But as she gets closer to Staten Island you should see her lit up in all her glory. I believe the cam operators are "groupies" of the ship and they'll focus on her. At the moment there is no tanker or container ship moored down near the bridge so there should be a nice unobstructed shot of her.

Thanks, BlueRiband. I'll definitely be watching (and wishing I were aboard!).

I just received a call from my DW who is on board; she says departure is delayed until 18:30 because of passengers arriving on a flight (which landed at 17:00).

I was so looking forward to viewing the sail away on the webcam in the sunlight!

Yeah, I remember when my airline waited for me :D:D:D

Isn't that terrific that they are waiting. Brings a tear to my eye!

Rob

QM2 always berths at Redhook unless it's unavailable - a situation that happened last year when superstorm Sandy had caused extensive salt water damage to the Redhook operating systems. The Manhattan terminal requires a longer turn around as those docks were designed for mid-twentieth century liners. That, and the US Coast Guard has to extend the normal security zone since QM2's derriere extends past the pier.

Twice in the past four years I have sailed on an Atlantic crossing on QM2 from Manhattan. The first time was because of gangway damage to the Brooklyn pier caused by a cruise ship. The second time was because a ship, albeit smaller than the QM2 but with a higher passenger capacity, was assigned to Brooklyn. That may be the case with the Sept. 2014 voyage, mentioned in a posting above. The Royal Princess (3600 passenger capacity) is assigned to Brooklyn that day.

Those on 1st sitting may even be done with dinner by sail away..

I think I would eat or plan with my butler to have food brought to the cabin later. The draw of seeing the bridge from the bottom as we went under is great. It could over rule my stomach.

My DW just called to report that the second and final coach from the airport has dropped off its passengers and they're now letting go the lines. Imagine the great relief they feel!

Earlier, she overheard someone complaining about the delay: "Why are they making 2600 people wait for 40?":eek:

Any update from your DW?

Further proof that airline travel really does STINK :eek: Regards,Jerry

Archived