Just returned from a week on Pride of America

Caroldoll

For all you who have been asking about the staterooms on the 13th deck, I did not try to go there since someone has posted pictures. However, I did talk to a butler who knows and he says this is a "work in progress". Evidently people from the main officer have had to come to the ship to try to "fix the problems". They are evidently not fixed.

We were a party of 8 and we had The Grand Suite 12006, and also three other suites 12008, 12010 and 1212. The entire trip was a comedy of errors.

First, in the Grand Suite there was water coming up around two tiles in the master bathroom. This water would bubble up every time one would wash their hands. After two days of their maintenance men trying to "fix it" by simply putting more glue around the tiles, I told them that this probably was not the right way as evidently a pipe was leaking. Then on the third day they agreed and sent maintenance people to rip up the floor. Of course this is a big job and I refused, so we went through the rest of the cruise with towels down over the leak inasmuch as it is a marble floor and I had fallen the first night, not noticing the leak. Very slippery.

In 12008 the heater was blasting. It was over 85 degrees all the time. The first day we called and they sent maintenance and they left without doing anything. By noon on the second day I pursued this issue and was told that the maintenance people needed a part, but couldn't find it...and evidently just didn't fix it. I told them that this was unacceptable and finally about 1:30 they found the part and came and fixed it. In the meantime the Hotel Director had come to my stateroom and they did make an adjustment on the bill for this situation.

It is my opinion that they need better maintenance. Someone was always in and out my suite--putting the shower door on the track, fixing a knob, and who knows. It was tiresome.

I did forget that the TV in the grand suite lost about 4 stations for 4 days. I was told that they have a broken satellite which feeds those four stations and the main office has not approved a new one! Wow, unbelievable.

The head concierge, James, is still with the ship and he was as wonderful as ever. The butler for all four suites was George and he was fabulous. I loved our room steward, Leo. That department is just find.

The food on the ship was consistently horrible. After the first night in the MDR we decided to visit all of the specialty restaurants. The Asian one had good food, but the lack of ability to understand what you want is unbelievable. The head of the restaurant would not let me substitute a seaweed salad unless I paid another $15. James straightened this out. We ate in Moderno three times and it was good..$20 a person extra. We ate the Italian food once and it too was good. Very salty. In fact all of the food was so salty that everyone went home with swollen ankles! LOL. Bring diuretics!

The no liquor policy is unbelievable. In the Grand Suite you get three bottles of wine and one Champagne. We don't drink wine or Champagne and they would not change all four for just one bottle of Vodka. Unbelievable. You can not bring any wine or any alcohol on the ship to have in your suite. They confiscate it! Don't try! LOL. They say it is a Hawaiian rule or some such story, but how come then do they give you wine and champagne??? I even offered to purchase a bottle of Vodka and the answer was no. The alternative is no cocktails in your suite unless you order from room service....wait and pay!

Bring lots of change...you are charged for everything. Suite guests can eat in Cagneys for breakfast and lunch..pretty good food. The hysterical thing here is that if you order juice at lunch you have to pay about $1.50. Why not just stop by the buffet on deck 11 and carry a glass down free! LOL. When you ask about this their standard answer is "This is Freestyle"! LOL

Don't order juice at lunch. Drink water or ice tea...you don't have to pay for that.

The ship looks very nice and clean. However, you can tell her age by the amount of things that go wrong, like one toilet in a public area that I saw an Out of Order sign on for four days.

The crew are very friendly and helpful for the most part. It is just too bad that there were so many other irritants.

This ship is unique in that you see all the islands. However, for me, it is like taking a rather old bus and hoping for the best.

For all you who have been asking about the staterooms on the 13th deck, I did not try to go there since someone has posted pictures. However, I did talk to a butler who knows and he says this is a "work in progress". Evidently people from the main officer have had to come to the ship to try to "fix the problems". They are evidently not fixed.

We were a party of 8 and we had The Grand Suite 12006, and also three other suites 12008, 12010 and 1212. The entire trip was a comedy of errors.

First, in the Grand Suite there was water coming up around two tiles in the master bathroom. This water would bubble up every time one would wash their hands. After two days of their maintenance men trying to "fix it" by simply putting more glue around the tiles, I told them that this probably was not the right way as evidently a pipe was leaking. Then on the third day they agreed and sent maintenance people to rip up the floor. Of course this is a big job and I refused, so we went through the rest of the cruise with towels down over the leak inasmuch as it is a marble floor and I had fallen the first night, not noticing the leak. Very slippery.

In 12008 the heater was blasting. It was over 85 degrees all the time. The first day we called and they sent maintenance and they left without doing anything. By noon on the second day I pursued this issue and was told that the maintenance people needed a part, but couldn't find it...and evidently just didn't fix it. I told them that this was unacceptable and finally about 1:30 they found the part and came and fixed it. In the meantime the Hotel Director had come to my stateroom and they did make an adjustment on the bill for this situation.

It is my opinion that they need better maintenance. Someone was always in and out my suite--putting the shower door on the track, fixing a knob, and who knows. It was tiresome.

I did forget that the TV in the grand suite lost about 4 stations for 4 days. I was told that they have a broken satellite which feeds those four stations and the main office has not approved a new one! Wow, unbelievable.

The head concierge, James, is still with the ship and he was as wonderful as ever. The butler for all four suites was George and he was fabulous. I loved our room steward, Leo. That department is just find.

The food on the ship was consistently horrible. After the first night in the MDR we decided to visit all of the specialty restaurants. The Asian one had good food, but the lack of ability to understand what you want is unbelievable. The head of the restaurant would not let me substitute a seaweed salad unless I paid another $15. James straightened this out. We ate in Moderno three times and it was good..$20 a person extra. We ate the Italian food once and it too was good. Very salty. In fact all of the food was so salty that everyone went home with swollen ankles! LOL. Bring diuretics!

The no liquor policy is unbelievable. In the Grand Suite you get three bottles of wine and one Champagne. We don't drink wine or Champagne and they would not change all four for just one bottle of Vodka. Unbelievable. You can not bring any wine or any alcohol on the ship to have in your suite. They confiscate it! Don't try! LOL. They say it is a Hawaiian rule or some such story, but how come then do they give you wine and champagne??? I even offered to purchase a bottle of Vodka and the answer was no. The alternative is no cocktails in your suite unless you order from room service....wait and pay!

Bring lots of change...you are charged for everything. Suite guests can eat in Cagneys for breakfast and lunch..pretty good food. The hysterical thing here is that if you order juice at lunch you have to pay about $1.50. Why not just stop by the buffet on deck 11 and carry a glass down free! LOL. When you ask about this their standard answer is "This is Freestyle"! LOL

Don't order juice at lunch. Drink water or ice tea...you don't have to pay for that.

The ship looks very nice and clean. However, you can tell her age by the amount of things that go wrong, like one toilet in a public area that I saw an Out of Order sign on for four days.

The crew are very friendly and helpful for the most part. It is just too bad that there were so many other irritants.

This ship is unique in that you see all the islands. However, for me, it is like taking a rather old bus and hoping for the best.

Thanks for your review. We have been on POA 6 times and luckily never experienced any negative issues.

I trust you made the best of it and enjoyed the islands.

People should be made aware that the ship is not in the best mechanical condition. And, don't expect too much of the food. Management should realize that they have some serious problems. I know they monitor these boards.

Wow - That is really sad. I too would have been very upset. We sailed on the POA in 2009 and loved her. We had no complaints infact it was our first cruise and set the stage for many more to come.

I sure hope that NCL does something to fix these problems as no one deserves to spend their cruise trying to get things fixed.

Hope the rest of the cruise was good and that you still enjoyed some family time.

Just curious, you said the food was consistently horrible but you mention going to the MDR only once. Is that where the food was consistently horrible? Any other food mentioned you said was good.

I guess I should consider myself lucky to be sailing in only a balcony and not a suite.

The booze thing makes no difference to me and, yes, the ship does need to abide by Hawaiian law (not rules). I am looking forward to my trip on the POA.

i don't expect anything from a ship buffet anymore except for whatever it is to at least be moderately warm.

on another note, is there anything you wish you would have packed for the weather on the island? i haven't done my research on this yet but since i have you all's attention....

light jacket w/lining, waterproof, with hood? more sleeves, less sleeves? more long pants, less shorts? no flip-flops?

i don't expect anything from a ship buffet anymore except for whatever it is to at least be moderately warm.

on another note, is there anything you wish you would have packed for the weather on the island? i haven't done my research on this yet but since i have you all's attention....

light jacket w/lining, waterproof, with hood? more sleeves, less sleeves? more long pants, less shorts? no flip-flops?

Hawaii is like beautiful summer weather year around.. definitely.. shorts, tank tops, flip flops........(among other things, Hawaii is SUPER CASUAL)..... and yes, it can and does rain there, but it's usually just cloud burst-style raining, not 'raining all day'.

Wow - That is really sad. I too would have been very upset. We sailed on the POA in 2009 and loved her. We had no complaints infact it was our first cruise and set the stage for many more to come.

I sure hope that NCL does something to fix these problems as no one deserves to spend their cruise trying to get things fixed.

Hope the rest of the cruise was good and that you still enjoyed some family time.

I think everyone has a different experience with POA, depends what your expectations are when you go into it. SH-T happens and I think we should all know that. Most people take this cruise to see the islands and don't focus so intently on the ship-experience itself. Of course people are justified in having things fixed that are within the ship's control. It always seems like (some) people allow this sort of thing to ruin their vacation. I hope this is not the case, but it sure seems like it when people post only negative things about their trip. :confused:

Edited by CactusFlower527

Hawaii is like beautiful summer weather year around.. definitely.. shorts, tank tops, flip flops........(among other things, Hawaii is SUPER CASUAL)..... and yes, it can and does rain there, but it's usually just cloud burst-style raining, not 'raining all day'.

thanks, cactus!! it's good to know i can recycle my carribean clothes!

Aieeeeee... I'm booked in 12006 in just over 2 weeks. :eek:

Here's hoping they get the problems fixed. At least it's nice to hear that the butler, concierge and cabin steward were good....

I thought of you IMMEDIATELY upon reading Caroldoll's comments.

This has been quite an ordeal for several, and your situation has troubled us the most.

I hope you've somehow managed to get suitable accommodations for your needs, given what you were "sold" when you originally made the reservations.

It would be very comforting to know that NCL "did the right thing" (even if belatedly).

We are just crossing our fingers, and mostly very, very relieved that at the last minute, we chose NOT to select a "new" cabin on Deck 13.

But to have a leak in the best cabin on the ship? (It's obviously not okay to have a leak in ANY cabin!)

NCL has only a few hours during turnover to get that fixed properly, without having a major inconvenience to the Guests staying there.

(Obviously, this type of maintenance problem is a nightmarish scenario for any property owner when there isn't a good vacancy opportunity.

But this is hardly the only problem we've been reading about NCL and their customer service, unfortunately.

We are still totally baffled by how NCL handled the changes - or lack thereof - made during the renovations, and the major inaccuracies in the descriptions they posted - and kept posted - for the public.)

We hope that you have a WONDERFUL time, and ... this cruise is about HAWAII , and that's the main point for most of us.

(However, having a properly functioning, usable bathroom is also part of the experience! NCL really can't afford to have Guests slipping on wet floors due to plumbing leaks, after all...)

Let us know how your trip is.

We hope to hear you've had lots of wonderful excursions/experiences!

GeezerCouple

I thought of you IMMEDIATELY upon reading Caroldoll's comments.

This has been quite an ordeal for several, and your situation has troubled us the most.

I hope you've somehow managed to get suitable accommodations for your needs, given what you were "sold" when you originally made the reservations.

It would be very comforting to know that NCL "did the right thing" (even if belatedly).

We are just crossing our fingers, and mostly very, very relieved that at the last minute, we chose NOT to select a "new" cabin on Deck 13.

But to have a leak in the best cabin on the ship? (It's obviously not okay to have a leak in ANY cabin!)

NCL has only a few hours during turnover to get that fixed properly, without having a major inconvenience to the Guests staying there.

(Obviously, this type of maintenance problem is a nightmarish scenario for any property owner when there isn't a good vacancy opportunity.

But this is hardly the only problem we've been reading about NCL and their customer service, unfortunately.

We are still totally baffled by how NCL handled the changes - or lack thereof - made during the renovations, and the major inaccuracies in the descriptions they posted - and kept posted - for the public.)

We hope that you have a WONDERFUL time, and ... this cruise is about HAWAII , and that's the main point for most of us.

(However, having a properly functioning, usable bathroom is also part of the experience! NCL really can't afford to have Guests slipping on wet floors due to plumbing leaks, after all...)

Let us know how your trip is.

We hope to hear you've had lots of wonderful excursions/experiences!

GeezerCouple

You have been so wonderfully supportive -- truly, I hope to have the opportunity to meet you in person some day to express my thanks.

Unfortunately, I've heard nothing more from NCL. While that troubles me deeply, I and my family are committed to having a great vacation in one of the most beautiful places on our precious planet. I plan to do a full report when we return.

Again, many thanks for your kindness.

Midnight Blue

You have been so wonderfully supportive -- truly, I hope to have the opportunity to meet you in person some day to express my thanks.

Unfortunately, I've heard nothing more from NCL. While that troubles me deeply, I and my family are committed to having a great vacation in one of the most beautiful places on our precious planet. I plan to do a full report when we return.

Again, many thanks for your kindness.

Midnight Blue

You wrote:

"I and my family are committed to having a great vacation in one of the most beautiful places on our precious planet."

We have the same hopes (without some of the serious snafu's - in the best sense of that acronym! - you've experienced).

Time will tell whether this will be our only cruise on NCL or not. It would be awfully nice if the ship experiences "exceed our expectations".

(Those expectations are no longer particularly high. We now expect the ship to be a rather mediocre hotel, at best, that follows us around from island to island, rather than a great cruise as well. We'll see.)

I probably can't use a brand name here, but there is a commercial that has a motto we've taken to heart.

There is a photo of the liquor product, and in very simple type below that:

Living well is the best revenge

It doesn't quite apply here, but it's "close enough..." :)

Have a GREAT visit to HAWAII!

GeezerCouple

to the next person booked and give them another cabin. It will take two weeks to really fix it. I hope you get what you paid for. They can't keep tying to fix it with glue.

On the subject of Deck 13--nothing is as it was presented. That is why they flew out to try to mitigate the problems.

I did not let it ruin my vacation as I have been on POA at least 4 times--I think this was the 5th. This happens when a ship is old and overused and undermaintained.

Hawaii is always hot. No jacket. It was consistently 85 or better and still warm at night.

Thanks for all being supportive. I just will never go on POA again. That is why I will no longer go on any older ships...they just take too much of a beating to go indefinitely.

Crystal (NYK) are the only ones, in my opinion, who maintain their ships to a degree where they can be used on a long term basis. The other cruise lines, in my opinion, continually try to put lipstick on a pig!

to the next person booked and give them another cabin. It will take two weeks to really fix it. I hope you get what you paid for. They can't keep tying to fix it with glue.

On the subject of Deck 13--nothing is as it was presented. That is why they flew out to try to mitigate the problems.

I did not let it ruin my vacation as I have been on POA at least 4 times--I think this was the 5th. This happens when a ship is old and overused and undermaintained.

Hawaii is always hot. No jacket. It was consistently 85 or better and still warm at night.

Thanks for all being supportive. I just will never go on POA again. That is why I will no longer go on any older ships...they just take too much of a beating to go indefinitely.

Crystal (NYK) are the only ones, in my opinion, who maintain their ships to a degree where they can be used on a long term basis. The other cruise lines, in my opinion, continually try to put lipstick on a pig!

Have you looked at going on the Paul Gauguin? They are having a two week sale above their normal/always 50% off plus airfare rates. We just got back and had the best time. The ship just went through a large upgrade in the last year roughly.

As far as food goes on this cruise we never eat in the MDR's because it's just not us as we like a quieter atmosphere but we do eat in the specialty restaurants every nite, and only ever had one bad meal and it was in Moderno. Since then we have avoided that restaurant.

We always found something to eat for breakfast and lunch in the buffet area and never had any complaints, but miss the cold soup's.

Carol doll,

Sorry to hear about the problems on POA. I was anxiously awaiting your review because we had 12006 booked along with another suite for friends. Not anymore! Hearing that you can't have liquor in your room, inconsistent food, wear and tear, etc., we'll stick with Oceania and do a land trip in Hawaii.

I always appreciate that you tell it like it is. Maybe Oceania has spoiled us!

Thanks again,

Grammiek

FYI, I now have a call into NCL Corporate about this issue. I was told by the corporate office that they see the posts on this thread about the bathroom issue, they are contacting Guest Relations and will call me back to let me know the status. I'll keep everyone posted.

Edited by Midnight Blue

but the only way to see the islands efficiently is Pride.

Someone asked, and I only ate in the MDR once. Noisy. Subpar food. Wonderful server, Hamilton. It was Skyline. Great if you like to stand in line with 100 or so passengers to get in--ugh.

Someone mentioned the Paul Gaugain. She is only in Tahiti and that is true, it is a fabulous ship, fabulous service, and a fabulous itinerary.

My friend, a TA and I feel that Norwegian needs to get a life and put one of their newer ships in the water in Hawaii. Of course it wouldn't hurt to have better quality food, but I guess with the prices in Hawaii, they can't afford to provide high quality food.

FYI, I now have a call into NCL Corporate about this issue. I was told by the corporate office that they see the posts on this thread about the bathroom issue, they are contacting Guest Relations and will call me back to let me know the status. I'll keep everyone posted.

And here's my update.

The bathroom of 12006 will not be repaired by the time of my sailing (11/16). It apparently will take about 2 weeks to do the repairs, and the guests who are in the suite next week have declined to move to another cabin, so there isn't time to repair the leak before my sailing. There are no comparable suites available on my sailing (there's no other suite like 12006) or two suites that together might come close to the square footage of 12006 (not even if the suites weren't located physically near each other).

I'm currently trying to work out with NCL what would be appropriate compensation if I and my family choose to stay in 12006 with the leak.

As I told NCL, this has truly been an awful experience for me. My thanks to Caroldoll for raising the issue -- I can't imagine what it would have been like to have found out about this after we boarded.

Wish me luck, all.

I have been following your issue all along Mid Night Blue, depending what the stuff is that is leaking/seeping up through the bathroom floor, I would go with staying in that room for your sailing. If it is sewage, no way!

If not sewage.... work out some deal, and also plenty of towels at all times to be left with you.

Or, get 2 penthouse suites on deck 10 or 11 or 12, one on each side of the ship.... so you can see Volcano sail-by and NaPali sail-by.

Good luck