Up-grade no it's a down grade

schooldude

Sorry, but that's not how the cruise business operates. They price cabins by category, and within any category, there can be variations. To say "What category HAL calls this cabin is inconsequential." is to ignore reality.

Maybe not every customer goes over the details of the staterooms that are included in the category they are considering, but the astute ones certainly do.

HAL states that superior suites have two sinks, a jetted tub and a larger veranda.

By your logic HAL could call a larger than normal inside cabin a Category SY and then someone who booked a SZ GTY should not complain that they received an inside cabin because they got an SY.

HAL states that superior suites have two sinks, a jetted tub and a larger veranda.

By your logic HAL could call a larger than normal inside cabin a Category SY and then someone who booked a SZ GTY should not complain that they received an inside cabin because they got an SY.

That's the chance you take when you ask for an SZ Guarantee.

This thread is illustrating quite well that a lot of people know exactly what they want but are just not prepared to pay for it! They book at an absolute low fare and assume they will get the pick of the litter :rolleyes:

It happens in other classes of cabins too, including some that are not handicapped accessible.

One can book a cabin in the "V"-class on the E-dam, expecting a balcony, and be upgraded to a VT. There goes sitting on the balcony, enjoying the sea. :eek:

The bottom line is that when one books a guarantee cabin, then one must be willing to accept any cabin in that category or higher. That's why people study the deckplans. Or learn a valuable lesson for next time.

We had the same thing happen to us. We booked a SC guarantee on the Nieuw Amsterdam because that was all they were accepting for that category. We were upgraded to an SA. It was the HC suite. One low sink. Shower and toilet together with one shower curtain. If you used that shower, the toilet would get soaking wet. The tub also had a shower, but was so high, I have no idea how a handicapped person would ever be able to use it. No jets in the tub. Ramps all over the room. It was very difficult to get used to.

We were not happy. HAL would not budge, even when the lady down the hall, who was in a wheelchair wanted to switch with us.

Terri

We stayed in the HC SA on Nieuw Amsterdam. There is only ONE ramp in the cabin, leading to the balcony. The sink is NOT lower.

We don't get a discount when we book an HC SY or SA, even though the amenities are fewer than the able-bodied folks get. I understand the need for a different design to accommodate a wheelchair. And I am happy that we are able to book those categories -- one reason we don't sail Maasdam, the ship does not have a HC cabin with a balcony.

I don't think it's all that frequent that the HC SYs and suites are available to assign to people with guarantees. There are only two HC suites on the Vistas and Signatures, and I believe only three HC SYs.

Good, you finally got it! If you save money by going with a GTY, you run the risk of getting whatever cabin that HAL has deemed fits in that category. You may not agree with the designation, but you always have the option of picking and paying for a specific cabin of your choice.

We stayed in the HC SA on Nieuw Amsterdam. There is only ONE ramp in the cabin, leading to the balcony. The sink is NOT lower.

We don't get a discount when we book an HC SY or SA, even though the amenities are fewer than the able-bodied folks get. I understand the need for a different design to accommodate a wheelchair. And I am happy that we are able to book those categories -- one reason we don't sail Maasdam, the ship does not have a HC cabin with a balcony.

I don't think it's all that frequent that the HC SYs and suites are available to assign to people with guarantees. There are only two HC suites on the Vistas and Signatures, and I believe only three HC SYs.

The one sink is definitely lower and there is a ramp into the bathroom as well as the balcony on both sides.

That cabin may have been okay for you. We were not happy having it for 24 days. It was quite inconvenient for us.

Terri

It happens in other classes of cabins too, including some that are not handicapped accessible.

One can book a cabin in the "V"-class on the E-dam, expecting a balcony, and be upgraded to a VT. There goes sitting on the balcony, enjoying the sea. :eek:

The bottom line is that when one books a guarantee cabin, then one must be willing to accept any cabin in that category or higher. That's why people study the deckplans. Or learn a valuable lesson for next time.

Doesn't VT have a balcony ? Those cabins are on the 10 or 11 th deck on the Edam correct ?

Good, you finally got it! If you save money by going with a GTY, you run the risk of getting whatever cabin that HAL has deemed fits in that category. You may not agree with the designation, but you always have the option of picking and paying for a specific cabin of your choice.

Not always SZ cat seems to be selling as gty only.

I know when you book a GTY category, you leave yourself open to whatever they assign you in that category or higher. Normally, I would say you should have known what you were getting yourself into. However, When someone books an SZ GTY, and paid for an upsell even though it may have been a small amount of money, you pretty much expect to get at least the double sinks in the bathroom and a jetted bathtub.

I am a HAL fan but I certainly understand the OP's frustration. We always book a specific cabin. Once my friend and I booked an SY GTY. We had the cabin on the aft bend. At first I thought that was great as it had a little extra cabin space and a wider balcony. What I didn't realize is it would be unbelievably windy. The only time we could enjoy the verandah was in port. This was a Caribbean cruise and the whole idea was to enjoy the balcony while sailing. Did I complain, of course not as I gambled by booking the GTY and I did receive the SS at that time. This is why I will not ever book another GTY again. Can't blame the cruise line as they are giving you what you booked. A hard lesson learned.

Still love HAL!

Diane

Everyone of us here has had our story to tell with booking a guarantee. I learned my lesson. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that booking an SC guarantee would land me in an SA handicapped cabin. But it did.

I have learned my lesson and that was the last guarantee I will ever book.

Others may have had better luck.

The only upsell I ever took was to the Penthouse. That was just fine!

Terri

Doesn't VT have a balcony ? Those cabins are on the 10 or 11 th deck on the Edam correct ?

It's a viewing balcony, with room for standing only. There may be enough room to put a folding chair out there, but that's about it.

Got my up-graded room. I paid for an SZ got 5001Y

It's a Wheel chair accessible room. No tub, one sink.

Very unhappy, I would have stayed in my VF, if they would have asked about the handicap room. This happen to anyone else:eek:

Schooldude,

If you email me, I have some pictures I downloaded from another website (pay) of SY 5002 that may help.

I'll be glad to email them to you.

It may make you happy, or not.

Terri

The one sink is definitely lower and there is a ramp into the bathroom as well as the balcony on both sides.

That cabin may have been okay for you. We were not happy having it for 24 days. It was quite inconvenient for us.

Terri

There are only two HC suites aboard N.A.

Each is adjacent to the glass elevators - one on port side, one on starboard.

I have to think they have the same layout.

What was your cabin number?

There is no ramp to the bathroom. The bathroom is at regular floor level, as it is in all the HC accessible VAs, SYs and suites (SC and SA) we have stayed in.

The cannot make a ramped entrance to the bathroom, as the ramp would take up too much space.

In the case of a suite, think of how obtrusive a ramp to the bathroom would be. It would have to run through the vanity area, impeding access to the closets on one side, and making it too tight for the seat at the vanity on the other.

We had one ramp in our SA suite on the N.A. It led to the one door to the balcony.

I wish the sink were lower. It was not accessible to my husband, when he pulled up to it in his wheelchair.

I think if you look at photos of the handicapped suites - SY or SA - you will see there is only a single ramp -- actually, a raised area of the carpet -- leading to the balcony. It is rather out of the way, over by the couch.

(and of course there is the outdoor ramp on the balcony, leading down from the door, so the wheelchair user can access the balcony)

There are only two HC suites aboard N.A.

Each is adjacent to the glass elevators - one on port side, one on elevator.

I have to think they have the same layout.

What was your cabin number?

There is no ramp to the bathroom. The bathroom is at regular floor level, as it is in all the HC accessible VAs, SYs and suites (SC and SA) we have stayed in.

The cannot make a ramped entrance to the bathroom, as the ramp would take up too much space.

In the case of a suite, think of how obtrusive a ramp to the bathroom would be. It would have to run through the vanity area, impeding access to the closets on one side, and making it too tight for the seat at the vanity on the other.

We had one ramp in our SA suite on the N.A. It led to the one door to the balcony.

I wish the sink were lower. It was not accessible to my husband, when he pulled up to it in his wheelchair.

I think if you look at photos of the handicapped suites - SY or SA - you will see there is only a single ramp -- actually, a raised area of the carpet -- leading to the balcony. It is rather out of the way, over by the couch.

(and of course there is the outdoor ramp on the balcony, leading down from the door, so the wheelchair user can access the balcony)

I'm not going to argue with you. If you say there was no ramp, then there was no ramp. We were in 7057 right next to the elevator. The ONE sink was definitely LOWER than the ones in the other suites we have been in.

The ramp to and from the balcony was always a concern for me. It also took up a lot of balcony space.

We hated the shower set up and it was certainly not the most convenient of rooms for able-bodied people.

The dressing room was also a problem because I could not be in the area if my DH was coming in and out of the bathroom with the huge door. Suffice it to say, it was not what we were expecting and we tried to change it to no avail.

Terri

Actually, the first time we stayed in an SY, we wrote a long letter to HAL suggesting the curtain in the shower wrap around to prevent water from drenching the toilet area. (And all those soggy TP rolls if you forget to move them!)

The VAs have a great roll-in shower, but that is because there is no tub.

I think HAL must have been reluctant to remove the tub from the SYs and the suites.

So someone came up with the idea of making the shower adjacent to the toilet ... ugh.

I didn't find the ramp to the balcony to be that cumbersome, but of course for us, it is a necessity.

The balcony in the SY is so small - about the same size as a VA - that DH won't go out on it. Going down a ramp into that size balcony is scary.

Whenever someone posts about booking an SZ, I try to post a warning that they could get a HC accessible cabin and what that entails.

I think the HC cabins are generally located in less-than-prime real estate to begin with.

On Volendam, we had an oceanview HC cabin and the window was obstructed by a public staircase.

It was not in the obstructed view category.

We complained and they offered us a $50 refund. DH told them to keep it.

Archived