Up-grade no it's a down grade

schooldude

You booked an SZ Guarantee hoping to get an upgrade and you were allocated an SY. What is the problem?
Obviously, that what HAL calls an upgrade is not what the OP does, as stated in the thread title. The OP did NOT get the cabin features that were promised.

I can't wait until next Spring when HAL turns the categories topsy-turvy. Many of what HAL now calls VA will be come VE and vice versa, SS and SY get swapped, VDs become VA to VC, etc, etc. The cabins don't change, just what HAL arbitrarily calls them. An upgrade now becomes a downgrade then, and vice versa. Many more people will complaining that they are not getting what they paid for and expected.

Obviously, that what HAL calls an upgrade is not what the OP does, as stated in the thread title. The OP did NOT get the cabin features that were promised.

I can't wait until next Spring when HAL turns the categories topsy-turvy. Many of what HAL now calls VA will be come VE and vice versa, SS and SY get swapped, VDs become VA to VC, etc, etc. The cabins don't change, just what HAL arbitrarily calls them. An upgrade now becomes a downgrade then, and vice versa. Many more people will complaining that they are not getting what they paid for and expected.

Cannot imagine when the change hit the ground. These boards wii catch FIRE. U think wine policy was bad ??? Just wait. LoL

<snip> I can't wait until next Spring when HAL turns the categories topsy-turvy. Many of what HAL now calls VA will be come VE and vice versa, SS and SY get swapped, VDs become VA to VC, etc, etc. The cabins don't change, just what HAL arbitrarily calls them. An upgrade now becomes a downgrade then, and vice versa. Many more people will complaining that they are not getting what they paid for and expected.

I think it's going to be very messy in the beginning. People will use old deck plans and be unhappy campers when they get on the ship.

To add to that, a couple of on-line cabin checking sites are already using the "new" cabin category classifications on their websites. So anyone booking a cruise sailing now until Spring could end up with some complaints also.

While I realize that people will complain (when don't they?) we booked for next year after the category change and had no problems accessing and understanding the new deck plans. Anyone who has been on CC for more than a month should know that categories are subjective and that what I think of as better is not necessarily what you prefer. This isn't rocket science. HAL is not purposely assigning rooms to categories to make us unhappy - that would be counter-productive. When we leave our room open for an upgrade, we know the possibilities and have decided it's worth it for us.

Sorry if I'm being snarky, but it's sad to see cruisers (and sometimes myself :rolleyes:) base their expectations of enjoyment on small details. If it's critical to your health or happiness, plan for it. If it isn't, get out there and enjoy your adventure.

Would rather be offered up-sells!

We normally travel with Friends & book specific cabins..Have our res. marked "No upgrade"..

However once, when traveling alone we were offered an up-sell to a balcony or a lanai..We took the Lanai & loved it..

TA wondered why, but we wanted to try the lanai as enjoy sitting out on Promenade deck where there are people around..We loved our lanai!!! :):)

I would be afraid to book a guarantee unless that was all that was available..

Betty

I would be afraid to book a guarantee unless that was all that was available..
We've done 9 GTYs, and I was once somewhat unhappy with what we were assigned, but DW was okay with it. But we won't be booking GTY anymore, and we will be sure to specify Do Not Upgrade!!

You are missing the obvious fact that the accessible/handicap rooms have a particular design that is generally not desired by able-bodied passengers, and that the person booking the guarantee had every reason to think that they would be getting a regular stateroom as described on the HAL web page and sales literature. This amounts to a bait and switch tactic by HAL.

Accessible/handicap rooms should NOT be allocated out to unsuspecting passengers. This should be disclosed with right of refusal by the passenger.

igraf

OP- am I missing something? You booked a guarantee in a certain category. By doing so, you allowed HAL to assign you a cabin in that category or a higher one. You received just that, right? I'm not sure what your complaint is. Booking a guarantee is a gamble. Next time book a specific cabin - that's what I do. Now you always can contact your TA or HAL (if you booked directly) and ask for a different cabin.

The OP knew, or should have known (due diligence) that 5001 was included in the SY category and, as a consequence, was one of the possible upgrades when he opted for the GTY. Whether or not this cabin should have been included within the SY category, due to the lack of comparable amenities, is entirely a different issue and not germane to the discussion.

GTY bookings are always a gamble, as there are frequently cabins included in a higher category that subjectively aren't any better or, as in this case, are worse.

As the OP made his decision to gamble knowing that this was a possible outcome, I really don't think that he has any grounds to complain. If he didn't know that 5001 could be assigned to him, then he has no one to blame but himself.

You never enter a game of chance without fully understanding the rules, but if you do, don't complain afterwards if you lose.

You are missing the obvious fact that the accessible/handicap rooms have a particular design that is generally not desired by able-bodied passengers, and that the person booking the guarantee had every reason to think that they would be getting a regular stateroom as described on the HAL web page and sales literature. This amounts to a bait and switch tactic by HAL.

Accessible/handicap rooms should NOT be allocated out to unsuspecting passengers. This should be disclosed with right of refusal by the passenger

Very well said!!

This isn't about a gty issue, the OP "paid" for an "upsell", and having experienced one of these exact cabins and situation, I also believe he didn't get "what he paid for" and I totally understand his concern. With that said, my only advice is, if he doesn't get an another assignment, at least he knows what to expect, and try to just move past it and enjoy the rest of the ship.

We had the same thing happen to us. We booked a SC guarantee on the Nieuw Amsterdam because that was all they were accepting for that category. We were upgraded to an SA. It was the HC suite. One low sink. Shower and toilet together with one shower curtain. If you used that shower, the toilet would get soaking wet. The tub also had a shower, but was so high, I have no idea how a handicapped person would ever be able to use it. No jets in the tub. Ramps all over the room. It was very difficult to get used to.

We were not happy. HAL would not budge, even when the lady down the hall, who was in a wheelchair wanted to switch with us.

Terri

It is rare for HAL to assign a handicapped cabin to someone who does not need it.

Not entirely true. We booked a guaranteed Deluxe Verandah on the Nieuw Amsterdam, minimum category VF, which would have placed us on either deck 4 or 5. Two weeks before departure, I received an e-mail from reservations with our cabin assignment - 8025 on the eighth deck, the Navigation deck. After checking the ship's deck plan, I realized disappointingly that we were assigned a handicapped room. Before calling HAL to ask for a re-assignment, I checked with the boards here on Cruise Critic and was pleased to find out that handicapped rooms actually offered some benefits that other cabins don't such as - more square footage, a larger bathroom with a big walk-in shower (plenty of room for two, if you catch my drift :)), and a larger balcony. On the Nieuw Amsterdam, the handicapped rooms are located where the ship 'bends' in, and in addition to the balcony being larger than standard, it offered three distinct views - looking back, looking straight out, and looking forward. Our room was very nice, including a very comfortable bed.

Got my up-graded room. I paid for an SZ got 5001Y

It's a Wheel chair accessible room. No tub, one sink.

Very unhappy, I would have stayed in my VF, if they would have asked about the handicap room. This happen to anyone else:eek:

I think he has lots of reasons to complain, especially when this was marketed to him as an "upsell". I hope we get to hear the conclusion to his story, and HAL is able to move him.

OP said it was an UPGRADE. That is free of any additional cost.

It is not an UPSELL which bears additional money.

This is making me very nervous. I had never booked a GTY before and for our upcoming Westerdam took advantage of the special price to reserve a SZ GTY. It never occurred to me that we might be assigned a handicapped room. I thought that these types of rooms were exclusively for those with documented need and since we do not have the need we would not be assigned one. I guess I'll just hope for the best.

I must have missed something here. OP is complaining about being assigned/up graded to a HC cabin? The kind that people lie to get into? There was no mention of which ship but I can tell you that on the Westerdam and the Oosterdam 5001 is our favorite cabin. Tons of closet space, tub, (not jetted) roll in shower with fold down seat. large area between the door and the bed, and the great forward facing window and almost immediate access to the front bow area for scenic cruising. The worst part about the cabin is without a doubt the balcony. It is oddly shaped and smaller than most. The long walk down the hall from the forward elevators is a downer but depending on how much you eat, it can be a good thing. Give it a try - you might like it.

OK I paid extra for this and lost my shipboard credit. I also said I only see two Z rooms is that true, Reply yes. Did not say but we can put you in Y

Did you ask? I believe that many people know that an upgrade to a higher category is possible with a GTY, and is the very reason why they book this way.

You've given no direct indication that this is your first cruise, but it sounds like you might have benefited from the services of a travel agent. Anything beyond a very straight forward booking can create issues if you don't have a sound knowledge of how the system works. You may not need to know all of the answers going in, but you definitely need to know all of the right questions to ask.

As another poster said a few pages back, it's unfortunate that you find yourself in this situation, but at this point, try to put it behind you and get forward to enjoying all of the many other aspects of the cruise.

The OP knew, or should have known (due diligence) that 5001 was included in the SY category and, as a consequence, was one of the possible upgrades when he opted for the GTY. Whether or not this cabin should have been included within the SY category, due to the lack of comparable amenities, is entirely a different issue and not germane to the discussion.

That is not true at all. HAL describes suites as having two sinks, jetted tubs and larger verandahs. Any reasonable person when booking a GTY stateroom that states that you will receive a stateroom in your category or higher would reasonably believe that he will be getting a cabin that has two sinks, a jetted tub and a larger verandah. This cabin does not have two sinks or a jetted tub, and the useable space on the Verandah is smaller than a regular verandah cabin. What category HAL calls this cabin is inconsequential. If you book a GTY you should get the amentities in the category you got or better.

HAL should not assign SZ GTY or higher to 5001 or 5002. It would be perfectly OK for them to assign upgrade any category below SZ to those staterooms, however. Due diligence does not excuse them from delivering a stateroom that has inferior amenities, no matter what category they choose to designate it as.

You can't expect every customer to go over every stateroom with a fine tooth comb before booking a GTY. You can however reasonably tell them, "Pay this fare and you will get a cabin with these amenities or possibly more, but not less."

That happened to us a few years back on the Westerdam.. We booked an SY GTY and got a handicap room. We too were disappointed loosing the double sinks, having a ramp take up half the balcony and have emergency call cords EVERYWHERE!

I tried very very hard to get the room switched so a person who actually needs this accommodation could use it, but they didn't budge.

After a day or two, we adjusted, but we were still not impressed they put two able bodied people into this room..

THE same situation for me last year. I had the impression of being housed in a cabin for a dwarf. The only must was that I had a «front seat cabin» more angular if I recall... Also I do not like to deprive the real disable people of their rights to have an adequate cabin.

Holacanada

That is not true at all. HAL describes suites as having two sinks, jetted tubs and larger verandahs. Any reasonable person when booking a GTY stateroom that states that you will receive a stateroom in your category or higher would reasonably believe that he will be getting a cabin that has two sinks, a jetted tub and a larger verandah. This cabin does not have two sinks or a jetted tub, and the useable space on the Verandah is smaller than a regular verandah cabin. What category HAL calls this cabin is inconsequential. If you book a GTY you should get the amentities in the category you got or better.

HAL should not assign SZ GTY or higher to 5001 or 5002. It would be perfectly OK for them to assign upgrade any category below SZ to those staterooms, however. Due diligence does not excuse them from delivering a stateroom that has inferior amenities, no matter what category they choose to designate it as.

You can't expect every customer to go over every stateroom with a fine tooth comb before booking a GTY. You can however reasonably tell them, "Pay this fare and you will get a cabin with these amenities or possibly more, but not less."

Sorry, but that's not how the cruise business operates. They price cabins by category, and within any category, there can be variations. To say "What category HAL calls this cabin is inconsequential." is to ignore reality.

Maybe not every customer goes over the details of the staterooms that are included in the category they are considering, but the astute ones certainly do.

No, another thread he states it was an upsell from a VF, the upsell however was for a gty. I believe the confusion is just terminology, as he viewed the upsell as an upgrade to a higher category, from balcony to suite.

OK I paid extra for this and lost my shipboard credit. I also said I only see two Z rooms is that true, Reply yes. Did not say but we can put you in Y

Those two terms get confused often.

Upgrade = free

Upsell = pay more

Got my up-graded room. I paid for an SZ got 5001Y

It's a Wheel chair accessible room. No tub, one sink.

Very unhappy, I would have stayed in my VF, if they would have asked about the handicap room. This happen to anyone else:eek:

This happened to me on the OOsterdam in Sept to Alaska. I called my TA to say no upgrade to our VF as we had just been in a verandah under the Lido on the Eurodam in July and heard a lot of noise from the carts. I made the remark that for what we had paid we could have had a suite. She asked me if I would like a suite guarantee and of course I said yes.....no money was involved. Like you I expected a better room, two sinks, nice balcony.

We got 5001 at the very front of the ship a long way from the dining room and the Lido...one sink and no place to put anything under the sink...a very high sided bathtub. The second shower was in front of the toilet and had a nice shelf to sit on which I used to hold my makeup bag. The first day I pulled the emergency cord in the bathtub thinking it was the clothesline....we got a call from the front desk wanting to know if we needed assistance!

My next issue occurred when I tried to turn out the light by the bed....again I ended up getting a call as I hit the wrong switch. They were not clearly marked although when I put on my glasses I could see a small label explaining the function.

The balcony was small and not enough room to sit and put your feet up since the ramp took up a lot of space.

We adjusted and did enjoy the window looking forward. The room was quiet except for the vibrations now and then with acceleration and when the anchor went down.

It's the chance you take with a guarantee but I'm glad I didn't pay a premium for the upgrade. We didn't even get our extra mariner points for a suite.

Archived