Advice Required

ZSR280lg.jpg

I posted this under Ports of Call but got to thinking I might get some more responses in this section. Taking this trip dep Sydney 27 Feb 15. Last big one on the bucket list for the wife and I to do.

I'm looking for interesting things to do in any of the ports shown on the map above. Things to avoid would also be appreciated if there are any such beasts.

We are also looking at a 4-5 day pre cruise stay in Sydney. I'm coming from half way around the world in Canada and we want to make the most of this trip. Any recommendations for this such as a good hotel and things to do would also be a big help.

Thanking any and all in advance. I look forward to your learned advice.

Edited by Gunner22aa

We did this in 2009 and had a blast. Here are a few suggestions:

We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton in Sydney. Nice, quiet and well-maintained. Fine for 2 nights.

We did not do too much in Sydney as we were so exhausted from the flight from the USA. We wandered around in The Rocks area and walked across the Harbor Bridge to Milson's Point, a lovely, pricey area with great produce markets, cafes, etc.

Hobart - we took local buses to Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary to see Tasmanian devils, kangaroos, wombats, koalas, etc. up close and personal - wonderful. Beware of the longish walk and the hill up to the sanctuary if you are not in decent shape. We liked it and felt it was great exercise but some in our group were exhausted. The upside is that doing it on our own, we saved about 50% off the same excursion from the ship and got to meet a lot of local people while riding the bus.

After the sanctuary, we went into a part of Hobart so my husband could get some authentic laksa at an Asian restaurant there. It was very busy and lots of Asian people, including my husband, found it delicious.

Melbourne: We spent the day at the zoo and enjoyed it a lot, particularly the spotting of a red panda.

Adelaide - spent most of the day in the South Australia Museum, a terrific interactive museum emphasizing Australia's natural history.

Freemantle - went to Exmouth, a quirky small town that borders the Ningaloo Reef where we spent the day swimming. A beautiful, unusual place that has to have been the absolute hottest place I have ever been. Bring lots of sunblock and water!

Perth - rode the free CAT buses and did some sightseeing then walked to see the Swan Bell Tower, a very cool piece of architecture. The whole city of Perth was delightful and one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited.

We loved Australia and its people and will visit again on a much longer trip. We are also considering retiring in Australia.

Coming from the Mid-Atlantic area of the USA, we found Sydney to be a very expensive city in which to eat in restaurants. Not a big deal but we were pleasantly surprised that other cities in Australia were less expensive for meals out, etc.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I am sure you will get plenty of advice and it will be handy to get this advice from people who have done this cruise - it is very popular.

I am a little surprised however that the previous response linked Exmouth with Fremantle. Exmouth is approx. 1300 klms north of Fremantle and I would hardly think you would do it from Fremantle.:)

We were not fans of Vegemite, which we at least tried and the VERY undercooked bacon which neither of us would touch. Had a few Australian beers that were very good and helped me forget the vegemite and the bacon, lol.

I could not find simple unbuttered packaged popcorn. The stuff I bought from a local grocery store was not crisp and it had an odd artificial sweetener taste.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Thanks for the advice and I'm with you on the vegimite. It is either a very aquired taste or you need a palate burned out tasteless from hot sauce or curry. I've served with Aussie army officers who were on exchange here in Canada and have tried it before. Once was two times too many for this lad.

We were not fans of Vegemite, which we at least tried and the VERY undercooked bacon which neither of us would touch.

Bacon, yeah. Having grown up with Australian style bacon I only discovered the wonders of crispy American bacon when I first cruised on an American ship. I'm still fine with our "undercooked" stuff if it is served on a burger but otherwise I won't eat it on it's own. Crispy American-style bacon at breakfast is one of the great joys of life.

As for vegemite it is a taste best acquired in one's youth. I wouldn't presume to impose it upon an adult.

Edited by gek

Vegemite is the first thing an Australian baby tastes after his/her mothers breast. A dip in the Vegimite jar by the mothers finger and shoved in the infants mouth soothes all baby problems :)

Sent from my T-17B using Forums mobile app

Vegemite is the first thing an Australian baby tastes after his/her mothers breast. A dip in the Vegimite jar by the mothers finger and shoved in the infants mouth soothes all baby problems :)

Sent from my T-17B using Forums mobile app

I eat Ozemite, produced by our passionate Aussie 'Dick Smith.' Ozemite is gluten free so ok for me, Vegemite has Barley in it which contains Gluten. I tried Vegemite yonks ago, bit salty and very strong taste, acquired taste indeed. Try Ozemite, nice flavour not as salty as Vegemite and you are buying Australian, like Dick Smith says. LOL.

I will be taking a jar of Ozemite away next year.

As for the American 'nuked bacon' no thanks, give me the English or Canadian variety.

Just some trivia there.

Edited by NSWP

For Adelaide, the Barossa Valley trip is unbeatable. I think ADelaide also puts on free buses into the CBD - if that was your preference, then you could collect some wonderful Haighs chocolates just as you are dropped off; walk through Rundle Mall, down into North Terrace where the museums and galleries are; walk down Frome Road to the Zoo and see the Pandas, visit the Botannical Gardens, then back to the bus.

Or, from the bus drop off, catch the tram down to Glenelg and check out the Beach there and Jetty Road.

The harbour in Adelaide is a loooong way from anywhere touristy, so dont expect just to hang around the Port. it really is just a Port. Not so bad as the port in Rome though.

About vegemite. My youngest son hates it. When he was 10, we were at the Olympic Games in Sydney (hubby was part of the Olympic Team). We were at Darling Harbour and there were overseas TV crews everywhere. A US crew had set up a Vegemite stall and were filming people tasting it. As he wanted to get on TV, he decided he would have a taste of it and be filmed. Well, of course he said he loved it. But he has never had it again.

My cure for a migraine type headache, is vegemite on toast, a cup of tea, and nurofen. Does the trick every time. I think most people when trying out vegemite spread it too thick. Less is best.

I love crispy bacon that still has some nice chewy meat.

Edited by Pushka

Just a note-vegemite-you haven't tried it right or you would love it.:p

Butter some toast, then a very thin smear of vegemite, just barely there, nothing better on this earth.;)

Depending on when your cruise gets into Melbourne, you might like to consider

* The Queen Victoria market.

It is easy to get to as it is basically in the city itself and there is public transport you could catch. There is a nice casual eating area there, too, where you can sit down to a coffee and try out a big range of cuisines.

I've taken visitors there before and they like the range of goods and the atmosphere.

*I believe there are also walking tours of Melbourne you can book.

http://www.melbournebyfoot.com/#!cultural-walk/c5js

This one is a 3 hour walk (including a break with tea or coffee provided) and is $35 per person.

This one below starts in the morning, includes lunch but is dearer.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Melbourne/Melbourne-Lanes-and-Arcades-Walking-Tour/d384-3671ARCADES

* A Yarra River cruise.

You might be all cruised out, not sure, but the Yarra River goes through Melbourne and out into the suburbs. The river isn't all that big though, so it isn't something you could do in a cruise ship, you would be on a small ferry type boat and quite close to the sights. I think you could enjoy this-maybe do it prior to a walking tour?

http://www.viator.com/tours/Melbourne/Highlights-of-Melbourne-Cruise/d384-3013SIGHTAB

*tramcar restaurant tour of Melbourne. This has a lunch time option and you might like it as you get to trundle through Melbourne in comfort, with a commentary I imagine, while you eat. It isn't cheap-I think the lunches are about $82.50 from what I can make out, but I guess you are paying for the novelty.

http://www.viator.com/popups/priceAvailCal.jspa?code=3412TRAM&tourGradeCode=4CL&productType=SIC&id=1010&listDate=2013-11-04&setLocale=en

http://www.viator.com/tours/Melbourne/Colonial-Tramcar-Restaurant-Tour-of-Melbourne/d384-3412TRAM

* Just walk the streets of Melbourne. Maybe visit the immigration museum, or go have a look at the shrine of remembrance or take a walk in the Botanic gardens, if you are after a more leisurely day.

A site with ideas-http://www.viator.com/Melbourne/d384-ttd?pref=02&aid=g2966

Things to avoid.

This is just a personal opinion, but if you are only in Melbourne for one day, I would avoid the long trips out of town.

There are some great places to see, but you will see tourist brochures rabbiting on about the penguins at Phillip Island, which is a long trip out, you would spend most of the day in a bus, and not that spectacular if the truth be known.

You will see Healesville sanctuary mentioned. It's one of my favourite places to take visitors to get up closer to Aussie animals in a natural environment, but again, it is a long way out. You need to have all day there to really appreciate it and attend the demos. Don't bother going if they can only offer you an hour or two.

But either of those would be a better choice than Melbourne Museum. It is B awful, avoid it like the plague. The old one we had was 10 times better.:(

Edited by sherri3802

As said do not even think about the penguins on Phillip Island it has to be at night anyway

If you can manage it (and we have just done it for the 2nd time at 74 years old) climb the Harbour Bridge It is a great experience and the views are spectacular

It is not difficult and even I who hate heights was OK as the barrier is chest high and of course you are locked onto a safety line

I cannot recommend it too highly

ZSR280lg.jpg

I posted this under Ports of Call but got to thinking I might get some more responses in this section. Taking this trip dep Sydney 27 Feb 15. Last big one on the bucket list for the wife and I to do.

I'm looking for interesting things to do in any of the ports shown on the map above. Things to avoid would also be appreciated if there are any such beasts.

We are also looking at a 4-5 day pre cruise stay in Sydney. I'm coming from half way around the world in Canada and we want to make the most of this trip. Any recommendations for this such as a good hotel and things to do would also be a big help.

Thanking any and all in advance. I look forward to your learned advice.

We did a cruise in 2010 from Sydney to Perth & then rented a car & drove from Perth to Augusta & then on to Albany before returning to Perth. We arrived in Sydney 4 days pre cruise and stayed at the Marriott Sydney Harbour which was within walking distance of everything near the waterfront. Things we did in Sydney-We took in an evening performance at the Opera house, we did the hop on hop off bus and some of the stops were the botanical gardens which you can easily spend a few hours...walk to Mrs Maguires chair for a beautiful few of the city, visit the fish market or stop at Paddy's Market which is a great place to pick up some souvenirs, we did a day tour to the Blue Mountains and we did a tour to Featherdale Wild life Park. We took a harbor sightseeing tour. We kept busy from early morning to evening. We are going back in march and we plan to go to Manly and Bondi and do a day tour on the South Coast Highway.

Airlie Beach-We did a Three Island tour on a catamaran which stopped at Hook Island where we did some snorkeling, Whitehaven Beach which is very beautiful and to Daydream Island. We thoroughly enjoyed this day .

Port Douglas/Cairns- We took a 1 1/2 hr train ride through the rain forest to the mountain village of karaunda. The view was breath taking. After wandering around this village we then took the sky rail back to the city. Lots to see on this tour. We booked this independent of the ship

Darwin-We did a bus tour to Litchfield National Park and the highlight was the giant termite mounds . We also stopped to see Jumping Crocodiles. I think we booked this tour thru the cruise line.

Perth- our cruise ended here but we stayed 3 days in this city.We did a day cruise on the swan River and stopped at 3 wineries for wine tasting. A very enjoyable day. We spent 1/2 day at Kings Park. you can take a trolley ride thru the park and get off at various locations. You can get great views of the city from here. The city buses are free. We also did hop on hop off bus .

Hope this helps. We loved Australia and if we were a bit younger, I would love to move there. We saw lots of kangaroos in the wild. We are going back in March 2014 & spending 9 days based in Melbourne before going on our New Zealand cruise. We are planning on spending a day on the Yarra River cruise as well as a day tour to see the 12 apostles but I think this tour is too far for a ships tour.

Regards

Muriel

I was in sydney last year in February and also stayed at the marriot hotel circular quay. This location was very central to all the activities in sydney. We were in sydney for three nights before our cruise and found plenty to do. We took the ferry to manly. Great views of the city from the ferry then we walked around manly which has the beach and plenty of stores and places to walk. We also took the bus...which was very easy...to Bondi beach. The only attraction there was a very scenic, easy paved walkway along the coast. In sydney itself we toured the opera house.. The short tour which cost around $35 dollars, walked around the rocks area, took a ferry over to Darling Barbour to take a tour of the Endeavour (a true replica of captain cooks ship). I would highly recommend this. There were people in each room to explain the use of the room. From the ship we walked over to the Chinese gardens which were very beautiful and much larger than I anticipated. We also walked through the Queen Victoria Building and the Strand just to admire the architecture. We also toured the Hyde Park Barracks museum. The building was designed by a convict and was used to house convicts...very interesting. I visited Kuranda so I could hold a koala and have my picture taken. In Brisbane we went to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary...very worthwhile .. And again had a picture taken holding a koala. In Airlie beach we went to the Great Barrier Reef. This was actually a disappointment. It's a very long ride in the boat to get there... And once there it was extremely difficult to see the colors of the coral. In Port Douglas we went to the Rainforest Habitat, which was okay...then walked around the town, which is small and very walkable.

When you go to Bali a good driver is Dean from Drivers with distinction he has a team of drivers now and will take you on a tour where you want to go or you can do one that is already configured. I have used them and they made our day wonderful.

http://driverswithdistinctiontours.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bali-Driver-with-Distinction-Team/143773206072

In Airlie beach or Port Douglas you will most likely be offered an excursion out to the great barrier reef. This was on my bucket list and I had an amazing time snorkelling.

In Hobart we rented a car and took a trip out to Port Arthur the historic prison. I am fairly sure the ship offered this as an excursion also. It was a fascinating look at Australia's convict history.

Edited by silverwillow

We went on a cruise to Far North Qld.

Cairns-Did the sky rail excursion over the rainforest and to Kuranda. We were with a P & O tour that left late and it was far too rushed, we only had about 40 minutes in Kuranda. The sky rail part was good.

Port Douglas. I found an internet site that showed a map of a walking tour.

It looked to be the same walking tour that was offered at about $90 a head, so we decided to print it off and do it ourselves as it had all the information. Let me just say, set off early if you aren't used to heat. I'm not a lover of too much heat and was fine at 8am but by 1pm I couldn't wait to get back on board that ship.

You can walk right into the town from the ship, the port is in town and a lot of the historical sites have signs up anyway. There is a walk you can do up to the lookout, great views but the steep walk up in the heat nearly killed me. Anyone half fit could probably run up it though.:D

We disembarked our ship in Sydney, then took a bus tour sponsored by the ship, since we would not be able to get into our hotel.

We went to the Blue Mountains, which were fantastic, and Fetherdale Park.

I also did the bridge climb of the Sydney Harbour bridge, which was fantastic. We also took a ferry from Circular Quay to Manly, which was a nice little town.

The story and pictures are on our website as Wonder Down Under. We are happy to answer any questions.

Noted well. I spent 7 months in the Democratic Republic of Congo on a UN tour with the military and it almost killed me. I can dress for the cold (it's currently -12 C here) but you can only undress so far for the heat without getting arrested.

Yea I've had the chance to see a bit with just over 40 years in the army. Retirement comes 08 Apr 14 while we are on a cruise to Hawaii and the south pacific. Been to the odd great place and been to more than one that sure arn't on the bucket list to ever visit again! Met a lot of great people in both. Been in the army so long I frankly get tired of talking about it. My wife would second that in a heartbeat as she has heard all the stories, some more than once.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this advertised and thought of this post.

http://www.meltours.com.au/index.htm

It is a walking tour of Melbourne, at $59pp.

But I actually saw it on one of the daily deal websites, where vouchers are $28. No good for gunner though as the vouchers are only good till June 1st 2014.

But keep in touch, gunner, and if you are interested in some sort of tour, let us know and there is sure to be a special deal available that we can suss out for you.