HELP need advice for motel day before cruise

wwc

Hello, first time post. My wife and I are planning a cruise for April on royal Caribbean out of port Canaveral and flying into Orlando airport.

I'm not sure what the weather will be here in Ohio in April and it sounds like a good idea to go a day early and not worry about missing the boat but I need help knowing what motel to book that night.

The things I am concerned about right now unless i'm forgetting something or not aware of are things like...1) clean decent motel but cheap price because I don't want to waste money that could be spent towards the cruise.

2) cheap easy way from airport to motel and to port or back to airport and use cruise line shuttle ?

3) should I stay at a motel in Orlando or closer to port area?

4) would like to stay at a motel with something to do nearby the day or night before the cruise so that we aren't stuck watching TV in a motel room bored.

thanks.

Hello, first time post. My wife and I are planning a cruise for April on royal Caribbean out of port Canaveral and flying into Orlando airport.

I'm not sure what the weather will be here in Ohio in April and it sounds like a good idea to go a day early and not worry about missing the boat but I need help knowing what motel to book that night.

The things I am concerned about right now unless i'm forgetting something or not aware of are things like...1) clean decent motel but cheap price because I don't want to waste money that could be spent towards the cruise.

2) cheap easy way from airport to motel and to port or back to airport and use cruise line shuttle ?

3) should I stay at a motel in Orlando or closer to port area?

4) would like to stay at a motel with something to do nearby the day or night before the cruise so that we aren't stuck watching TV in a motel room bored.

thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic WWC!

Don't forget to join your RCI Roll Call

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Keep in mind that cheap motels in the Orlando area tend to be in bad areas and have infestations.

I would suggest staying on I-Drive in the Convention Center area, lot's of food and things to do within walking distance. You can take a shuttle to and from the airport for about $30 pp r/t. Then either take one of the shuttles like Beachline or Orlando's VIPs or your cruiseline's shuttle to the port. The other option is to rent a car and drop it off at the Port, which might be the least expensive option. If you do that, consider staying outside the tourist corridor and visit some of our less known--but better--attractions like Cranes Roost Park, Lake Eola, Leu Gardens, the Art Museum, or stroll Park Ave in Winter Park. If you go the car rental option you could also stay out by the port.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Edited by ducklite

I would rather be in Port Canaveral....close and easy! That's assuming you're arriving early enough the day prior to spend a bit of time at the hotel before bed! In that case, I'd get a rental car, so you can get around the area easier. If you're arriving late in the evening, then stay near the airport and head out early.....it's about an hour to the port. A shuttle would work, in that case.

Ok staying near the port sounds interesting, where is a good place to stay that gives a free shuttle to the ship and maybe be walking distance to things to do or at least stroll a beach.

cocoa beach area maybe?

I'm not sure how much a rental car would be or how to set that up but if so what things are there to do in the area.

Ok staying near the port sounds interesting, where is a good place to stay that gives a free shuttle to the ship and maybe be walking distance to things to do or at least stroll a beach.

cocoa beach area maybe?

I'm not sure how much a rental car would be or how to set that up but if so what things are there to do in the area.

I cruised out of Port Canaveral several years ago. We stayed at the Radisson Resort at the Port on Cocoa Beach. There were shuttles to the port. From their website: "This property offers transfers from the cruise terminal (surcharges may apply). Guests must contact the property with arrival details before travel, using the contact information on the booking confirmation "

We met up with other CCers there and had a great time.

if you have not yet done so, join your roll call. your fellow cruisers will have lots of information and might even be planning a night before cruise dinner get together or might have hotel ideas, etc.

We have sailed from PC a couple of times. We fly into Orlando, get a rental car. Then we can go and do as we please. We have always stayed there and driven to PC the next morning, but have friends that have stayed in PC and CoCo. All the car rental Co's have ck in offices that will take you to your Ship. This way we are not tied to a costly shuttle or cab ride.

ps: we too learned this from someone here on CC a few years ago:D

I read lots of reviews on the radisson and they were not very good. Most people said things like moldy smells and bad carpet. Is this place that bad ? Do they offer free pickup from airport and dropoff to ship ?

There is no hotel that will offer free transportation from the airport to the port. There are several hotels that offer free transportarion to the port located near the port, and likewise from the airport that are located near the airport.

Personally I don't think any of the hotels near the port at all that exciting or nice. Country Inn and Suites might be the best of the bunch.

how do i find a shuttle from the airport to get to a motel near the port , are they there just waiting for passengers ?

No, you will have to pre-book with someone. TravelLynx and Beachline Transportarion are good places to start, but there are plenty of others.

I found a Hampton that has a cruise ,snooze deal.

it's about 160 bucks over the room price for two people and it includes pickup from airport and shuttle to boat and from boat to airport ,the room $160.

Is this a good deal .

I found a Hampton that has a cruise ,snooze deal.

it's about 160 bucks over the room price for two people and it includes pickup from airport and shuttle to boat and from boat to airport ,the room $160.

Is this a good deal .

Not an amazing deal, but I'd take it, simply because it's a Hampton, and it's convenient. I suggest staying in Coco Beach, since it's closer to the port, and less of a hassle.

Am I over thinking things,Does royal supply a free shuttle from airport to boat and off boat back to airport? or is there a charge,how much if so ?

I am trying to make this as perfect a trip as I can for our anniversary and stress free.

thanks for everyone's replys.

Am I over thinking things,Does royal supply a free shuttle from airport to boat and off boat back to airport? or is there a charge,how much if so ?

I am trying to make this as perfect a trip as I can for our anniversary and stress free.

There is no free way to the Port via the cruise line or anything else, other than maybe sticking out your thumb and hoping for the best. :)

I didnt know you have to pay for shuttle to ship. I thought the cruise took care of that. I found also a comfort inn with a cheaper snooze and cruise deal. About 60 bucks. Might do that. Anyone stay there before their cruise ?

We usually rent a car, and stay at the Residence Inn by Marriot. It's really easy - we use Avis or Budget because they have locations inside the airport. Then, it's a straight drive to Cape Canaveral. The hotel is just south of the port (next to Country Inn and Suite that someone mentioned above). Before the cruise, we return the car to the Avis/Budget location on the same street as the hotel. The rental car agency has a free shuttle to the ship.

On the way home, we do the same thing in reverse.

Another idea: some people stay overnight at the hotel that's inside the Orlando Airport, and then purchase transfers from the cruiseline. For two people this is a great option. For more than two people, it is usually less expensive to go with the car rental.

Edited by DonnaK

Don't stress yourself out by over thinking this.....if it were me i would make a choice of the following:

#1 - do a "one way" car rental......many people sailing from Canaveral do this. A lot of times it is cheaper than a shuttle and almost all of the car rental agencies are near the port & provide free shuttle to the port when you drop off the car. They are very use to cruise passengers doing this and you will have no problem.

#2 - hire a private shuttle to pick you up from the airport. The most popular on these boards are Travelynx, Cocoa Beach Shuttle or Executive VIP Shuttle. All are very reliable and should give you great service. If you choose this option and are spending the night in Cape Canaveral then you can call a cab the morning of the cruise as they are plentiful and just have the shuttle service pick you up when you get off the ship at the end of your cruise to take you back to the airport.

It is an easy drive from the Orlando airport but is a 45-60 min drive to Cape Canaveral. I recommend either the Country Inn & Suites or the Residence Inn as these are the 2 closest to the port and both are very nice.

Hope this helps!

Wow a lot of great options. Which is cheaper . Rent a car. Stay at hotel at airport and pay for shuttles from ship. Or get snooze and cruise package deal from Several motels. Or maybe if slightly more expensive but less stressful and enjoyable what would be the choice.

Wow a lot of great options. Which is cheaper . Rent a car. Stay at hotel at airport and pay for shuttles from ship. Or get snooze and cruise package deal from Several motels. Or maybe if slightly more expensive but less stressful and enjoyable what would be the choice.

You will need to,price it out and make that decision for yourself.

When I was planning to go out of CC, I decided to rent a car through Hotwire and get a 4 star hotel in Orlando or a 3 star at coco beach by bidding on Priceline. Check out betterbidding.com. They can give you a lot of good insight on bidding. There are usually awesome 4 star prices in Orlando.

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/9/14

Carnival Sensation 3/14/14