Boyfriends Birth Certificate Does Not Match ID

melonigomez

Things are VERY different now than they were even 25 years ago.

You're correct. I'm 35 but even when I got my license, I didn't need all of the stuff that is needed now. The stuff they require now is CRAZY! And if you have been married, divorced, and remarried, you need a TON of stuff. I am pasting this from the DL website

US Citizens

Florida law requires identification, proof of date of birth, proof of residential address, and proof of social security number (if issued, Chapter 322, Florida Statutes, requires the Department see proof of social security number for the issuance of driver license and identification cards) from all customers before a driver license or identification card can be issued.

The name assigned to the social security number must match the name that will appear on the Florida driver license or identification card. If you have recently changed your name, update your records with the Social Security Administration before you apply for your license or identification card.

Each U.S. citizen renewing or applying for a new driver license or identification card in person after January 1, 2010 must submit:

Primary Identification

An Original or Certified of One of the Following Primary Identication Documents

• Certified United States birth certificate, including territories and District of Columbia
  • Valid United States Passport or Passport Card
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Naturalization, Form N-550 or Form N-570
  • Certificate of Citizenship, Form N-560 or Form N-561

Note: When necessary, marriage certificates, court orders, or divorce decrees must be provided to tie the name on the primary identification to the name the customer would like to place on the driver license or identification card.

Proof of Social Security Number

• Social Security Card
  • W-2 form
  • Pay check
  • SSA-1099
  • Any 1099

If you Do NOT have a Social Security Number:

If you do not have a social security number, you must bring a letter from the Social Security Administration indicating that you were never issued one. In addition, you will need to present at least one proof of ID from the following list:

• A driver license from the District of Columbia, U.S. Territories, or one of our 50 states.
  • School record stating date of birth, which must contain the registrar’s signature.
  • Transcript of the birth record filed with a public officer charged with the duty of recording certificates.
  • Baptism certificate, which shows date of birth and the place of baptism.
  • Family Bible record or birth announcement in a baby book
  • An insurance policy on the customer’s life which has been in force for at least two years and has the month, day and year of birth.
  • United States military or military dependent identification card.
  • An identification card from the District of Columbia, U.S. Territories, or one of our 50 states.
  • Florida license record or identification card record.
  • Selective Service Registration (Draft Card).
  • Florida Vehicle Registration certificate (HSMV 83399, owner’s copy) obtained from the tax collector’s office where the customer’s vehicle was registered, Florida, or out-of-state registration certificate, if name and date of birth are shown.
  • Receipt copy of your last Florida driver license issuance.
  • Immigration form I-571.
  • Federal form DD-214 (military record).
  • Marriage certificate.
  • Court order, which includes legal name.
  • A Florida voter registration card, which was issued at least 3 months previously.
  • Parent consent form of minor, signed by the parent or legal guardian
  • Government issued out-of-country passport, driver license, or identification card
  • Concealed Weapons Permit

Back To Top of Page

2 Proofs of Residential Address

Gather TWO of the following documents showing your residential address: (internet printouts or faxes of these documents are acceptable)

• Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement
  • Florida Voter Registration Card
  • Florida Vehicle Registration or Title
  • Florida Boat Registration or Title (if living on a boat/houseboat)
  • A statement from a parent, step-parent or legal guardian of an applicant. The parent or guardian must reside at the same residence address, accompany the applicant and present "Proof of Residence Address"
  • A utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days of the application
  • Automobile Payment Booklet
  • Selective Service Card
  • Medical or health card with address listed
  • Current homeowner’s insurance policy or bill
  • Current automobile insurance policy or bill
  • Educational institution transcript forms for the current school year
  • Unexpired professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.
  • W-2 form or 1099 form
  • Form DS2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status
  • A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider, or a half-way house verifying that the customer resides at the shelter address
  • Utility bills, not more than two months old
  • Mail from financial institutions; including checking, savings, or investment account statements, not more than two months old
  • Mail from Federal, State, County or City government agencies (including city and county agencies)
  • Transients – Sexual Offender/Predator/Career Offender: - FDLE Registration form completed by local sheriff’s department

Also, I know in Florida, sometimes you can renew your license online and bypass all of the crazy required documents. It's possible her BF has done that which would allow him to continue using the name provided on his identification without having to provide additional docs.

You're correct. I'm 35 but even when I got my license, I didn't need all of the stuff that is needed now. The stuff they require now is CRAZY! And if you have been married, divorced, and remarried, you need a TON of stuff. I am pasting this from the DL website

Also, I know in Florida, sometimes you can renew your license online and bypass all of the crazy required documents. It's possible her BF has done that which would allow him to continue using the name provided on his identification without having to provide additional docs.

In some states you can renew by mail, but with photo ID the thing, you almost always have to go in for a new picture. As long as you have your existing license, renewal is pretty simple. But for a new license, I doubt any state will give one without proof of age and ID - usually birth or baptism certificate. There is no way a DMV is going to rely on some unidentified adult saying that some accompanying, but also unidentified, teenager is old enough to drive and his name is......

Yes, it can be a bit of a hassle, but some of the posters here are kidding when they say no ID was required just a few years ago. New York required good ID in 1954 when I got my license.

In some states you can renew by mail, but with photo ID the thing, you almost always have to go in for a new picture. As long as you have your existing license, renewal is pretty simple. But for a new license, I doubt any state will give one without proof of age and ID - usually birth or baptism certificate. There is no way a DMV is going to rely on some unidentified adult saying that some accompanying, but also unidentified, teenager is old enough to drive and his name is......

Yes, it can be a bit of a hassle, but some of the posters here are kidding when they say no ID was required just a few years ago. New York required good ID in 1954 when I got my license.

Do you realize Arizona issues licenses that are good for 10-20 years depending on your age at initial issue unless they are CDL's? My nephew just moved to AZ-he is 28. His new DL is good until 2033. So that makes him about 48 when his license expires. Think MAYBE he will have changed in 20 years????

He merely turned in his valid NC license, (he has been at Duke getting a Masters), took an eye test and walked out with his new AZ license when he moved to Az for a job last month. That NC license was a copy of the Wyoming license he had had since he was in HS in Wyoming. Then he went to UNLV Reno for his BS degree and just traded in his Wyoming license for a Nevada license. It could have been any name Zach had attached to those licenses and I just asked my brother. He told me there were NO ID requirements when he entered Zach in kindergarten (23 years ago). Just parents sign off on the "perjury" statement. He could have registered him as XXXX XXX. So if Zach was in Driver's Ed under XXXX XXX and got the cert, most states just accept it at face value.

MAYBE New York required ID. Both Arizona and CA REQUIRED parents SIGNATURE to get into Driver's Ed class as late as 1974 (younger brother) as long as you were REGISTERED in school. Older brother was in AZ living with Grandma, I was in CA living with Mom and Dad. BOTH of us never had to get anything MORE than parents or guardians signature to get that initial DL. And that is the "key to the Kingdom".

I GUARANTEE YOU-if I wasn't 65 years old, I could walk out of a lot of DL offices in quite a few states with an DL that said JANE SMITH, 48 years old instead of XXX at 65. Maybe not be LEGAL but would be VALID.

Edited by greatam

Do you realize Arizona issues licenses that are good for 10-20 years depending on your age at initial issue unless they are CDL's? My nephew just moved to AZ-he is 28. His new DL is good until 2033. So that makes him about 48 when his license expires. Think MAYBE he will have changed in 20 years????

He merely turned in his valid NC license, (he has been at Duke getting a Masters), took an eye test and walked out with his new AZ license when he moved to Az for a job last month. That NC license was a copy of the Wyoming license he had had since he was in HS in Wyoming. Then he went to UNLV Reno for his BS degree and just traded in his Wyoming license for a Nevada license. It could have been any name Zach had attached to those licenses and I just asked my brother. He told me there were NO ID requirements when he entered Zach in kindergarten (23 years ago). Just parents sign off on the "perjury" statement. He could have registered him as XXXX XXX. So if Zach was in Driver's Ed under XXXX XXX and got the cert, most states just accept it at face value.

MAYBE New York required ID. Both Arizona and CA REQUIRED parents SIGNATURE to get into Driver's Ed class as late as 1974 (younger brother) as long as you were REGISTERED in school. Older brother was in AZ living with Grandma, I was in CA living with Mom and Dad. BOTH of us never had to get anything MORE than parents or guardians signature to get that initial DL. And that is the "key to the Kingdom".

I GUARANTEE YOU-if I wasn't 65 years old, I could walk out of a lot of DL offices in quite a few states with an DL that said JANE SMITH, 48 years old instead of XXX at 65. Maybe not be LEGAL but would be VALID.

I do not think I will rely on your "guarantee". I suggest you do a little research before making such sweeping statements.

You have located an extreme case - but you got carried away. While licenses are good to age 65, holders have to get a new photo every twelve years -- which really means that they are NOT really good until age 65. If your nephew just got a license in Arizona, it will NOT be good until 2033 as you claim - he will have to get a new picture on it by 2025. My CT license needs to be renewed every 6 years - without a test - just go in , get a new photo and a new license. I have had a CT license since 1971 - without having to do anything to renew it every six years beyond going in and getting a new photo (which means new license) - but does that really mean the license was good for 42 years? By your logic maybe - but a new document with a new picture really means a new license.

CA has been using my mugshot for the past 20 years :cool: Just renewed it for 5 by just paying the renewal fee before the old 10 year one expires. You hope you get it within 6 weeks of expiration. Come to think of it, the price of the new 5 year license is more than my old 10 year one :confused:

You have located an extreme case - but you got carried away. While licenses are good to age 65, holders have to get a new photo every twelve years -- which really means that they are NOT really good until age 65. If your nephew just got a license in Arizona, it will NOT be good until 2033 as you claim - he will have to get a new picture on it by 2025. My CT license needs to be renewed every 6 years - without a test - just go in , get a new photo and a new license. I have had a CT license since 1971 - without having to do anything to renew it every six years beyond going in and getting a new photo (which means new license) - but does that really mean the license was good for 42 years? By your logic maybe - but a new document with a new picture really means a new license.

You are very, very wrong. Arizona licenses can be good until you are 60 years old or older. At 60 you MAY have to get a new license. Then at 65 you definitely have to get a new license (eye test).

I got an regular AZ car license in 1998 because I live here part time and I got a ticket with my Missouri license when I gave them an AZ address. I didn't get a new license until this year when I turned 65. I also hold a Missouri CDL which was renewed in 2006 and 2012.

Texas also has a "split" license as well as a couple of other states. You can drive a truck if your car licensed is suspended or vice versa. One has nothing to do with the other.

I do not think I will rely on your "guarantee". I suggest you do a little research before making such sweeping statements.

I GUARANTEE I could walk out of quite a few state's DL offices with a new ID about 20 years younger IF I wasn't 65 years old.

I don't need to do any research. I deal with DL day in and day out.

You are very, very wrong. Arizona licenses can be good until you are 60 years old or older. At 60 you MAY have to get a new license. Then at 65 you definitely have to get a new license (eye test).

I got an regular AZ car license in 1998 because I live here part time and I got a ticket with my Missouri license when I gave them an AZ address. I didn't get a new license until this year when I turned 65. I also hold a Missouri CDL which was renewed in 2006 and 2012.

Texas also has a "split" license as well as a couple of other states. You can drive a truck if your car licensed is suspended or vice versa. One has nothing to do with the other.

If you have to get a new picture on it, isn't at a new license? Or do they just glue the new picture on the old license? That new picture is required every 12 years - sure, it is longer than in many other states, but there still is a time limit.

When I got my NY license a few decades ago I had to present my BC, Baptismal certificate, and something else from a list, I want to think college ID, high school report card, work ID, or ???

When I got my first Florida DL, I had to present proof of residency (used my deed) plus my NJ license, plus something else. I know everyone in Florida who doesn't have the new license with all the verification done can't renew online or by mail, they have to come into DMV in person with all the documents. There were several older people there pitching fits because they had waited until the last minute and documents were either long ago lost or in their northern homes of whatever. One woman had been married four times and didn't have any of her documents and her license was expiring the next day was having an absolute meltdown. They are very clear in the renewal notices of what is required, frankly I didn't have much sympathy as she had a couple of months to get it all sorted. Neither did the people at DMV.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

If you have to get a new picture on it, isn't at a new license? Or do they just glue the new picture on the old license? That new picture is required every 12 years - sure, it is longer than in many other states, but there still is a time limit.

You need to recalculate. I just looked at my dear departed husband's license. Issued in May 1998, good until he turned 65 in October 2015. That is slightly over 17 years.

In AZ, if you are NOT restricted to glasses, you do not have to renew your license at age 60. Everyone has to renew their license at 65 by taking an eye test, so you get a new picture. IF you have had an at fault accident in the last 5 years, you MAY have to take a written and driving test at age 65. Totally subjective determination by DMV employees.

I don't know where you came up with the new picture every 12 years because that is certainly not our experience, my nephew's experience or any of our friends experience.

It's kinda more like a suggestion here in Arizona to go in every 12 years and get a new picture~ they don't do anything if you don't go and get a new pic taken~ my husband had his license with the same picture for over 20 years.

My DD just got her license (16) and it does not expire until 2062. So while it *technically* is a different license it's not a *new* one since they expiration date and number are the same, only thing different is the issue date~ also if I want a new one I just order online~

If your nephew just got a license in Arizona, it will NOT be good until 2033 as you claim - he will have to get a new picture on it by 2025.

I just called Zach-expiration date on his license is his birthday, May 20, 2033. Why would he have get a new picture in 2025?

My CT license needs to be renewed every 6 years - without a test - just go in , get a new photo and a new license. I have had a CT license since 1971 - without having to do anything to renew it every six years beyond going in and getting a new photo (which means new license) - but does that really mean the license was good for 42 years? By your logic maybe - but a new document with a new picture really means a new license.

Your license renewal period in CT is 6 years. A lot of states have a 6 year renewal period. Some have 10, it varies all over the country.

Your license states it EXPIRES six years after issue, so you get a new license with a new picture and new issue and expiration date. Arizona has expiration dates on licenses up to 20 years. Expiration is always your birthdate + how ever long DMV decides to give you for expiration. Max is 20 years. Example-license issued at age 63 would expire on your birthday, 2 years hence when you turn 65. EVERYONE gets a new license in AZ at age 65. But per my nephew's license, his expiration date is his birthday 20 years from now. Our neighbors, who just moved from Kentucky, have varying expiration dates (they are in their 40's-50's). Denise, who is 46, has an expiration date 19 years from her birthday. Doug, who is 52, only has a license that is good until he is 65, which is 13 years from his birthday. There is NO fixed renewal period in Arizona other than you get a "probation" license from 16-21 (they have a green or red stripe on them depending on whether you are under 18 or 18-21) and everyone MUST get a new license at age 65. In between, you may only have to renew your license at most twice. And that is 44 years.

This is fascinating. Let's hear it for State's Rights! :eek:

I just checked my NJ License. Issued in 2012, good through 2016. I'm not in any special age category. IIRC, I've renewed my license every 4 years since I got it as a teenager. Oh, and of course paid a fee each time. Currently it's $24.

What are other states charging for licenses that last for much longer than 4 years?

This is fascinating. Let's hear it for State's Rights! :eek:

I just checked my NJ License. Issued in 2012, good through 2016. I'm not in any special age category. IIRC, I've renewed my license every 4 years since I got it as a teenager. Oh, and of course paid a fee each time. Currently it's $24.

What are other states charging for licenses that last for much longer than 4 years?

CA renewal in 2012 was $32 for 5 years .

Edited by agabbymama

I just called Zach-expiration date on his license is his birthday, May 20, 2033. Why would he have get a new picture in 2025?

Your license renewal period in CT is 6 years. A lot of states have a 6 year renewal period. Some have 10, it varies all over the country.

Your license states it EXPIRES six years after issue, so you get a new license with a new picture and new issue and expiration date. Arizona has expiration dates on licenses up to 20 years. Expiration is always your birthdate + how ever long DMV decides to give you for expiration. Max is 20 years. Example-license issued at age 63 would expire on your birthday, 2 years hence when you turn 65. EVERYONE gets a new license in AZ at age 65. But per my nephew's license, his expiration date is his birthday 20 years from now. Our neighbors, who just moved from Kentucky, have varying expiration dates (they are in their 40's-50's). Denise, who is 46, has an expiration date 19 years from her birthday. Doug, who is 52, only has a license that is good until he is 65, which is 13 years from his birthday. There is NO fixed renewal period in Arizona other than you get a "probation" license from 16-21 (they have a green or red stripe on them depending on whether you are under 18 or 18-21) and everyone MUST get a new license at age 65. In between, you may only have to renew your license at most twice. And that is 44 years.

I suggest that you rely on the State requirements rather than on your nephew Zach's understanding of them. The state website AZDOT.gov advises that, while the "extended" license does not expire until age 65' it goes on to say: "HOWEVER, YOUR PHOTO AND VISION SCREENING WILL NEED TO BE UPDATED EVERY 12 YEARS,". (Direct quote from the Arizona DOT site.)

So, I agree -- the State of Arizona says the license is good until you turn 65 -- but if you have to get a new picture and eye test, what does it really mean?

Perhaps iArizona is lax at following up, but I would not want to be an Arizona driver stopped for a violation after the 12 years had expired.

People might have fewer problems if they went to valid sources rather than rely on the Zach's in their lives. The Boyfriend of this thread's OP might think about that.

The best answer is that that he will have a problem.

Some people here feel that is not the case and the ID names do not have to match. I disagree and think there is a problem. In any event it is not worth the risk that he will be turned away and refused boarding at the dock.

I think the only way to resolve this is to get first get a passport. Before doing this call the passport agency and see what issues there will be getting a passport given the ID issues and what documentation will be needed.

If you can get to LA you can get a passport the same day by making an appointment and going to the passport office since your trip is within 2 weeks. Information is here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_909.html

If you google passports same day you'll find a number of passport agencies who will obtain the passports for a fee on top of the normal passport costs. They are probably experts in passports so they can probably tell you what documents are necessary in the current situation.

Good luck.

Hi. My boyfriends birth certificate has a different last name than is drivers license and his mom never actually changed his name through the recorders office. Is this going to be an issue boarding on a 3 day princess cruise from Los Angeles, CA to Ensenada Mexico? We are leaving in less than 2 weeks are nervous now.

I didn't read through all the post but...my BF and I just came off a Carnival cruise out of Port Canaveral. He only had his Birth Certificate and DL. His last name is spelled differently on both. What is on his DL is how it is actually spelled. No questions asked upon boarding...they asked about it and that's it. On our return customs didn't even glance twice!

Arizona charges $25 for a license good for 50 years~

Fee Schedule:

Ages 16-39: $25

Ages 40-44: $20

Ages 45-49: $15

Age 50 and older and five-year: $10

Limited license: $10

I suggest that you rely on the State requirements rather than on your nephew Zach's understanding of them. The state website AZDOT.gov advises that, while the "extended" license does not expire until age 65' it goes on to say: "HOWEVER, YOUR PHOTO AND VISION SCREENING WILL NEED TO BE UPDATED EVERY 12 YEARS,". (Direct quote from the Arizona DOT site.)

So, I agree -- the State of Arizona says the license is good until you turn 65 -- but if you have to get a new picture and eye test, what does it really mean?

Perhaps iArizona is lax at following up, but I would not want to be an Arizona driver stopped for a violation after the 12 years had expired.

Arizona does NOTHING if you get pulled over after the 12 years has expired~ nothing! Like I said in a previous post my husband had a license with a picture that was about 20-25 years old~nothing happened to him when he was pulled over.

Edited by Alliezona09

The best answer is that that he will have a problem.

Some people here feel that is not the case and the ID names do not have to match. I disagree and think there is a problem. In any event it is not worth the risk that he will be turned away and refused boarding at the dock.

I think the only way to resolve this is to get first get a passport. Before doing this call the passport agency and see what issues there will be getting a passport given the ID issues and what documentation will be needed.

If you can get to LA you can get a passport the same day by making an appointment and going to the passport office since your trip is within 2 weeks. Information is here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_909.html

If you google passports same day you'll find a number of passport agencies who will obtain the passports for a fee on top of the normal passport costs. They are probably experts in passports so they can probably tell you what documents are necessary in the current situation.

Good luck.

Of course, getting a passport requires at least two things: proof of citizenship (typically a valid birth certificate) and identification (typically something like a drivers license). If the names do not match, the applicant will have to provide what is referred to as "secondary documentation" --- all pretty well set forth on State Department passport websites. OP's boyfriend will probably have to work out such "secondary documentation", because a drivers incense which does not match the name on the birth certificate is obviously going to be unsatisfactory.

It is amazing the problems which parents can create for their children through simple carelessness.

My husband has an unusual surname, derived from what a clerk misheard and wrote down incorrectly when DH's grandfather's birth was being registered. In his grandfather's family, there were 6 siblings, each with their surname spelled differently - and that is how they continued for the rest of their lives, transmitting their different surnames to their own offspring.

Because, in the UK anyway, your legal name is how it is written on your Birth Certificate, unless you change it by deed poll (or marriage, if you choose).

How did it happen? Illiterate immigrant from Germany to the UK, recording the birth, speaking with a heavy accent, and tryng to state his name to an English clerk in Liverpool.