Boyfriends Birth Certificate Does Not Match ID

melonigomez

"HOWEVER, YOUR PHOTO AND VISION SCREENING WILL NEED TO BE UPDATED EVERY 12 YEARS,". (Direct quote from the Arizona DOT site.)

Just curious, so called our Arizona State Senators office yesterday. There is NO law about updating your photo and vision. It is just something ADOT THINKS should be done and because it is on their website, people MIGHT actually do it.

This is just EXACTLY the same scenario as ADOT's information posted on their website about CDL endorsements. Specifically states on the ADOT website that there is one endorsement for double trailers and another endorsement for triples (which are illegal in Arizona). Both supposedly require a separate test and endorsement on your license.

HOWEVER, no one at DMV knows anything about two endorsements. There is only ONE test and it is titled "multiple trailers" and the endorsement specifically states "double/triple trailers".

Kind of like the State Farm commercial-"you saw it on the internet".

Of course, getting a passport requires at least two things: proof of citizenship (typically a valid birth certificate) and identification (typically something like a drivers license). If the names do not match, the applicant will have to provide what is referred to as "secondary documentation" --- all pretty well set forth on State Department passport websites. OP's boyfriend will probably have to work out such "secondary documentation", because a drivers incense which does not match the name on the birth certificate is obviously going to be unsatisfactory.

It is amazing the problems which parents can create for their children through simple carelessness.

There is no such requirement for the bolded statement on the passport application form. Your proof of citizenship is required and your proof of identity is required but those do not have to be linked with bridge documents. You do list previous names used in question 9, but again, you do not need to provide bridge documents linking them. A Birth Certificate showing birth in the US is primary evidence of citizenship. Secondary documents are only asked for if such a document is not available. Secondary documents are specific to citizenship questions, not identity questions. Edited by cherylandtk

I didn't read all the post but your BF has a problem he needs to spend the time and money to clear up. in what name is his social security card issued? Is the name on your birth certificate your actual fathers name or ? was he ever legally adopted? he should make the effort to clean everything up sooner then later and then get a clean passport and keep it renewed. if marriage is in the future you definitely want everything cleaned up before.

this whole thing has a funny smell.. I got my DL in 1965 and I remember they would not take the one from the hospital only a cerf'd copy filled with the state (Ohio). If the shore folks are doing such a poor job as some of you indicate (not my experience) seems Joe Blow get's on in FL and get's off in wherever and his illegal friend get's on in his place and sails right back into the US. if I ws this lady I would be very careful about this guy. how he got a SS number and a DL in a name that is not on his BC is very odd. not to mention how did he ever start school? now with his mother dead and I'm assuming no contact with 'dad' he should start now to clean this up.

I started a thread a year ago with a similar problem and posted alot of links that I discovered. Maybe this will help. It's the last page of the thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1674261&highlight=irisheileen&page=3

Here is the original post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1674261&highlight=irisheileen

Hopefully some useful info can be gleaned!

Eileen

Arizona charges $25 for a license good for 50 years~

Fee Schedule:

Ages 16-39: $25

Ages 40-44: $20

Ages 45-49: $15

Age 50 and older and five-year: $10

Limited license: $10

Arizona does NOTHING if you get pulled over after the 12 years has expired~ nothing! Like I said in a previous post my husband had a license with a picture that was about 20-25 years old~nothing happened to him when he was pulled over.

Actually, technically in Arizona you have to go have a new picture taken every 10 years. The Police can actually cite you for not having a new photo or the correct address but unless they are really jerks they won't (although it commonly is done for DUI's as a secondary infraction.) The fine can be as high as $400.

Not so very long ago, they didn't even ask for all that stuff. I can remember my Dad signing the paperwork for a learner's permit which was issued in Driver's Ed class and the day I was 16, he drove me to DMV, I turned in my learner's permit and Driver's Ed certificate, took the written and driving test and out the door I went with a license. It could have been in any name that was registered at the school. Driver's Ed only checked to make sure you were 15.5 years old and of course registered at school.

And if this man has been Joe XXXX since he was a very small child, he may not have even known he had another name unless Mom told him or he actually needed his birth certificate for something.from wikipedia

. New York and Tennessee were the last states to add photos in 1986. However, New Jersey later allowed drivers to get non-photo licenses; this was later revoked.[105]

They didn't ask for all this stuff until the last 20 or so years. Now it is almost mandatory for everything. My best friend found out when she was 52 (12 years ago) and wanted to go live in Mexico permanently that her name was REALLY Cecelia XXXX. But she had been Cecelia YYY for as long as she can remember and certainly when she started school in kindergarten. Her SS card, DL, house mortgage, everything she has was Cecelia YYY. It was a mess and took her well over a year to get it all straightened out with the help of an attorney.

Who looks at their birth certificate unless you want to get a passport or need it for some official thing like that? I know my own dear departed DH hadn't seen his birth certificate or looked at it ever until he had to get a security clearance in 1999. He was 49. His passport, which he had had since he was in HS, read his Dad's name. He always thought his Dad's name (who is his adopted father which he knew) was on his birth certificate. It wasn't, it had a completely different name and his Dad really didn't formally adopt him until he was 5 even though his Dad had always been there, even when he was born. So it took a lot of looking to even find the private adoption papers in the State of Iowa because it was basically filed in a small county between Mom, adoptive Dad and a judge. There wasn't even an attorney involved. And it was filed back in 1955 as an adoption but there was no formal name change papers to go with it. Paper was one small paragraph that said XXX XXX now becomes parent/father to DH. Mother is XXXX XXXX.

I think a lot of you forget that when we were kids in the 40-60's, even into the 70's, Moms and Dads just registered us at school without all the formal papers. If you were 4 years.XXX months old and were before the cut off date, you just automatically got registered for kindergarten on Mom or Dad's say so with whatever name and birth date Mom and Dad said was correct. I remember when I was in grade school, Mom hand carrying school records because we moved about every three years due to my Dad's job and if I would have been XXX at the first school, I would have been XXX at the second school and on down the line.

To this day, if I had to produce a certified marriage certificate, I could not. We were married in a small town in a courthouse in Northern Missouri in 1984, long before computers. Everything was hard copy. The courthouse where we were married was severely flooded during the Missouri floods of 1993. All the archived paperwork was in the basement, including the ledger books of marriages, divorces, probably birth and death certificates. AND it all got wet.

I had a friend go to the place they moved the boxes to after my husband died just in case I needed that certified marriage certificate. She said there were just boxes stacked all over, you would have to go through each box and on top of that, most of the paperwork was stuck together and either would rip if you tried to pull it apart or the ink was gone from being wet. The judge is deceased and the only other people there were his secretary and some lady from down the hall in the courthouse (needed two witnesses). I certainly don't remember their names.

So I just don't see why everyone is coming down on the OP and acting like the BF is a criminal. The OP never said he was 25 years old. He may be 40 or 50. Things are VERY different now than they were even 25 years ago.

Hi Gina if I remember correctly NJ was one of the last states to have a picture on the license so before that the paper without the picture was easy.... from wikipedia

. New York and Tennessee were the last states to add photos in 1986. However, New Jersey later allowed drivers to get non-photo licenses; this was later revoked.[105]

Edited by smeyer418

My husband has an unusual surname, derived from what a clerk misheard and wrote down incorrectly when DH's grandfather's birth was being registered. In his grandfather's family, there were 6 siblings, each with their surname spelled differently - and that is how they continued for the rest of their lives, transmitting their different surnames to their own offspring.

Because, in the UK anyway, your legal name is how it is written on your Birth Certificate, unless you change it by deed poll (or marriage, if you choose).

How did it happen? Illiterate immigrant from Germany to the UK, recording the birth, speaking with a heavy accent, and tryng to state his name to an English clerk in Liverpool.

LOL which brings to mind the Rabbi named Shaun Ferguson. When you arrived at Ellis Island in NY harbor you could call your self what ever you wanted and change your name(this was prior to 1930), so a Rabbi want to change his name and he chose Rockefeller( a good American sounding name)but it took hours to get to the front of the line and when the Irish immigration officer asked his name he said "Shain Fergetson" which in yiddish means I forgot....and there was a Rabbi in Jersey City for many years there after named Shaun Ferguson...a good American sounding name if there ever was one.

http://www.aish.com/j/j/51478532.html

this one says its a myth but I told you the story as I was told it on Ellis Island.

http://rabbibarbara.com/files/moment_jews_last_names_mar_08.pdf

Edited by smeyer418

LOL which brings to mind the Rabbi named Shaun Ferguson. When you arrived at Ellis Island in NY harbor you could call your self what ever you wanted and change your name(this was prior to 1930), so a Rabbi want to change his name and he chose Rockefeller( a good American sounding name)but it took hours to get to the front of the line and when the Irish immigration officer asked his name he said "Shain Fergetson" which in yiddish means I forgot....and there was a Rabbi in Jersey City for many years there after named Shaun Ferguson...a good American sounding name if there ever was one.

http://www.aish.com/j/j/51478532.html

this one says its a myth but I told you the story as I was told it on Ellis Island.

http://rabbibarbara.com/files/moment_jews_last_names_mar_08.pdf

Like!

• 1 year later...

I need help! I know this is crazy but this is my exact same situation.

My name was changed when I was 8 back in 1989. However, I can find absolutely no record of it, I've checked everywhere. Now I have a BC that has a different last name than everything else I have including my DL.

I believe that because I was young at the time my parents didn't actually go through the normal legal methods to do my name change.

What do I do? Was the OP's boyfriend able to get on board? Homeland security and carnival both cant give me answers.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

Start a new thread. The only reason I jumped to the end was to see if OP came back to say whether boyfriend got on ship. You will probably get no more useful information.

I would not waste any time here. I would call a local gov't office (maybe the one that issues birth certificates) and ask them what to do. You have already given conflicting statements that you've looked for documentation but there is none because your parents never did a legal name change.

In the category of what do I know - The fastest thing to do may be to take your birth certificate to motor vehicles and try to get a drivers license with that name but be prepared that this might not work because they will want documentation that you are the person whose name is on the birth certificate. If your parents never went through a legal adoption the name on your BC is your legal name. If they can do this it should be immediate, but I am wondering what you presented to get your drivers license in the first place. Then change your names on your cruise documents.

Or, if you are before final payment I would cancel my cruise.

And get your documents in order. My daughter got married, divorced, and switched her middle and first name when she got the divorce. There have been at least 4 times that we have had to supply all the bridge documents (in one case for something as simple as putting a check in her bank account that was from an account I set up for her when she was young).

My name was changed when I was 8 back in 1989. However, I can find absolutely no record of it, I've checked everywhere. Now I have a BC that has a different last name than everything else I have including my DL.

I believe that because I was young at the time my parents didn't actually go through the normal legal methods to do my name change.

What do I do? Was the OP's boyfriend able to get on board? Homeland security and carnival both cant give me answers.

How soon is your cruise? I think you need to get a passport ASAP, but I have no idea how soon you can do this or how long it will take, Start researching it and working on it. There may be passport agencies that can help. Hopefully your cruise is far enough out that you can figure this out.

I'm wondering how you've gotten other ID such as a driver's license and social security card in your name without a birth certificate. Also, have you also asked your parents about the name change and any related documentation (presuming they are still available)?

This is something it is better to take care of sooner than later. ID laws are changing and the Federal Government is requiring states to move to a new type of secure drivers license called Real ID As this is phased in you'll be required to get an upgraded driver's license at some future point and this same issue will probably come up then.

Things are very different today than even 2 years ago. If your documents don't match, don't plan to sail.

That said, where did you live in 1989? Where did you live when you got your first DL? Can you get access to school records from back then? Do you have a class photo with your name listed, report cards, any of that? By 1989, the schools would have probably required documentation, unless they were a small rural school or a faith based one, and even those would have likely required documentation.

Trace back records, look for a box from that time with documents, and you might find an order from a judge. If not, and you live in a smaller community, take what you have (like school records, year books, class photos, college transcripts etc) down to the county court house and see if the clerk of the court can assist you in setting up an appointment with a Judge to get a legal name change. There will be a cost, but it all depends on where you live.

I started reading this thread and then realized it was from a few years ago,then jumped to the end and saw someone posted their first post, rather than starting a new thread. And that the OP never came back to say whether they were able to board or not.

I don't know about the current person's problem as he's from Arizona, but the OP was from California. I too was questioning how her bf got his DL (if he did so here). When I realized my daughter wasn't going to even start driving licenses (she had started an online driver's ed course) before going off to college, I took her down to the DMV to get an official state photo ID. We took her passport (unfortunately I grabbed an old expired one of hers by mistake) and her birth certificate, but the clerk did look at both. The proof of birth was definitely mandatory. And I guess if there had been any discrepancy with her name between the application form and her proof of birth, that would have been called into question. So again, I'm puzzled how the boyfriend could attain a DL with a different name than his birth certificate without any bridging documentation.

I started reading this thread and then realized it was from a few years ago' date='then jumped to the end and saw someone posted their first post, rather than starting a new thread. And that the OP never came back to say whether they were able to board or not.

I don't know about the current person's problem as he's from Arizona, but the OP was from California. I too was questioning how her bf got his DL (if he did so here). When I realized my daughter wasn't going to even start driving licenses (she had started an online driver's ed course) before going off to college, I took her down to the DMV to get an official state photo ID. We took her passport (unfortunately I grabbed an old expired one of hers by mistake) and her birth certificate, but the clerk did look at both. The proof of birth was definitely mandatory. And I guess if there had been any discrepancy with her name between the application form and her proof of birth, that would have been called into question. So again, I'm puzzled how the boyfriend could attain a DL with a different name than his birth certificate without any bridging documentation.[/quote']

The birth certificate is not just a "proof of birth" -- the fact that some was born need not be proven -- rather it is proof that a person was born where he/she was born: presumably in the US, thereby entitling them to US citizenship ant the right to re-enter the U.S. That is all the birth certificate achieves; but when accompanied by a photo ID which resembles the person presenting it and which bears the same name as appears on the birth certificate, there is sufficient documentation for a cruise. If the names do not match, you have nothing anyone can rely upon. It is absurd to think that the names need not match.

There does seem to be a fair number of people who have no birth certificate but still have licenses, so it is safe to assume that at least some DMV's are not that particular.

Of course, since many jurisdictions are granting licenses to undocumented aliens there does seem to be some question as to how they convinced the DMV of what name to put on the thing. I suppose someone could find an old birth certificate of roughly the right age and sex and get a license in that name.

Back when I was a teenager all I had to do to get a social security card was walk into the office, give them my name show them my Canadian driver's license that didn't have a picture and was made of hard paper. That was it. Would have taken a nano second to duplicate. Also, they misspelled my name and RE-TYPED my new card and made another typo on the number. Since I didn't have the error card I didn't realize it until years later that all my working credit was going to someone else.

When I was very young my mother re-married. For about 4 years I went to school under the new name. You won't find my school records unless you use that other name. Had she stayed married to him I would have been in the same boat.

Ok first of all, no one here was of any help. Telling me "you just need to get a name change done!" or "Well I have no idea how this is possible because of xxxxxx" really was not helping any. Obviously I know what I need to do to get this fixed in the long run but stating painfully obvious solutions like "get a name change" helps no one.

So, I believe I got it figured out. My mother was remarried in 1989. At the time she didn't do a legal name change through the courts. She did however, go to the SS office and show them a marriage license and had my name changed with the SS office and had a new SS card printed out for me. The person I spoke to, said this was common for name changes back in the day and they really didn't require as much as they do now. So, with that new SS card with my name on it I was eventually able to get a DL with that same name. bada-bing-bada-boom I'm a brand new person with a new name which was not done legally through the courts as a "name change"

I have in hand a letter from the SS office, signed, dated, and stamped that shows my name was changed with their office in 1990. It is very clear and looks very official so I am hoping this will suffice as showing the bridge between my old and new name.

And guys, before wasting your time and responding with some BS like "well son, you just gotta get this fixed, that's all" please at least try to offer some kind of unique solution or some advice that could actually help.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future in the same situation. Thanks

Ill report back and let you guys know how it went next week.

Edited by Scottcruiser1

Ok first of all, no one here was of any help. Telling me "you just need to get a name change done!" or "Well I have no idea how this is possible because of xxxxxx" really was not helping any. Obviously I know what I need to do to get this fixed in the long run but stating painfully obvious solutions like "get a name change" helps no one.

So, I believe I got it figured out. My mother was remarried in 1989. At the time she didn't do a legal name change through the courts. She did however, go to the SS office and show them a marriage license and had my name changed with the SS office and had a new SS card printed out for me. The person I spoke to, said this was common for name changes back in the day and they really didn't require as much as they do now. So, with that new SS card with my name on it I was eventually able to get a DL with that same name. bada-bing-bada-boom I'm a brand new person with a new name which was not done legally through the courts as a "name change"

I have in hand a letter from the SS office, signed, dated, and stamped that shows my name was changed with their office in 1990. It is very clear and looks very official so I am hoping this will suffice as showing the bridge between my old and new name.

And guys, before wasting your time and responding with some BS like "well son, you just gotta get this fixed, that's all" please at least try to offer some kind of unique solution or some advice that could actually help.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future in the same situation. Thanks

I understand where you are coming from but in your unique situation it is difficult for anyone to offer any advice since your situation is so unique. Logic tells me that if you can apply for a passport with your birth certificate in one name and DL in another without a bridging document that you should be able to use them to board a closed loop cruise with no difficulty. But no one here knows who will be checking you in and what experience level they have with this, or their supervisor, or even the CBP officer at the end of the cruise. So while logic tells us one thing we have no experience of our own to call on so the advice you get is what you don't want to hear. I think you would be fine with what you've got (and the letter from SS might help) but I am not in a position to assure you that you won't have difficulty. What will help others in the future is you come back after your cruise and let us know how it turned out (which I see from your edit you will be doing).

Edited by sparks1093

I think what you're bringing will be fine but I honestly don't know. It just depends on who is checking the documents. Prior to getting my pssport last year, I had some people ask for tons of documentation and some ask for very little. It was extremely hit or miss. Here's hoping you have someone who doesn't get their panties in a bunch and let's you through. [emoji4][emoji111]🏻

You have located an extreme case - but you got carried away. While licenses are good to age 65, holders have to get a new photo every twelve years -- which really means that they are NOT really good until age 65. If your nephew just got a license in Arizona, it will NOT be good until 2033 as you claim - he will have to get a new picture on it by 2025. My CT license needs to be renewed every 6 years - without a test - just go in , get a new photo and a new license. I have had a CT license since 1971 - without having to do anything to renew it every six years beyond going in and getting a new photo (which means new license) - but does that really mean the license was good for 42 years? By your logic maybe - but a new document with a new picture really means a new license.

I moved back to California in 1989. I took my current British Columbia license in and turned it in to the DMV. They took my picture, did an eye test and gave me my California DL. I have been able to renew my license on line since then. I have NEVER had to go back in - ever. My SIL was laughing this weekend looking at it. She swore it was my daughter in the picture. And the weight - man, I wish I still weighed 123 pounds.

I only had to give the CARDBOARD BC license when I got my first one. It contained my name, height, weight and birthdate. That was it. There was no picture. My second ID was a plastic BC that was very popular to use as ID at that point. Neither had a picture. For two years I used my cousin's BC to get in to bars.

Years ago you just turned in the old one. You didn't have to bring any other proof. Greatam is also correct on the driver's ed school. Just fill in the name you go by and they were good to do. No proof needed.

I'm not sure what you mean about being good until 65. My DH didn't have to go in for a written test until he turned 70.

You accuse Greatam about sweeping statements but aren't you doing the same?

Edited by notentirelynormal

Okay, here it is. You have a problem demonstrating your legal identity.

My advice to you is to have a consultation with an attorney about the issue.

Getting advice about a legal matter from a bunch of anonymous clowns (myself included) on the internet is worth exactly what you paid for it.

I moved back to California in 1989. I took my current British Columbia license in and turned it in to the DMV. They took my picture, did an eye test and gave me my California DL. I have been able to renew my license on line since then. I have NEVER had to go back in - ever. My SIL was laughing this weekend looking at it. She swore it was my daughter in the picture. And the weight - man, I wish I still weighed 123 pounds.

I only had to give the CARDBOARD BC license when I got my first one. It contained my name, height, weight and birthdate. That was it. There was no picture. My second ID was a plastic BC that was very popular to use as ID at that point. Neither had a picture. For two years I used my cousin's BC to get in to bars.

Years ago you just turned in the old one. You didn't have to bring any other proof. Greatam is also correct on the driver's ed school. Just fill in the name you go by and they were good to do. No proof needed.

I'm not sure what you mean about being good until 65. My DH didn't have to go in for a written test until he turned 70.

You accuse Greatam about sweeping statements but aren't you doing the same?

Is it necessary or productive to argue with a post made two years ago? A new poster reopened an old thread. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel.

Is it necessary or productive to argue with a post made two years ago? A new poster reopened an old thread. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel.

No point at all, I didn't realize that the thread was two years old. My apologies to all I offended by not checking the date. Have you never made a mistake? I guess not:rolleyes:. Please forgive the other 12 people that commented as well.

Edited by notentirelynormal

No point at all, I didn't realize that the thread was two years old. My apologies to all I offended by not checking the date. Have you never made a mistake? I guess not:rolleyes:. Please forgive the other 12 people that commented as well.

The other 12 people responded to the new post or to posts made in response to the new post. You were the only one arguing with an old post.

Since I always read the date of a post before I reply, I never make that mistake. And if I were to make that mistake, or another mistake, I would apologize for it, without making a snide remark.