Boyfriends Birth Certificate Does Not Match ID

melonigomez

So while the CBP rule does not specifically address the situation where the names on an ID and a proof of citizenship document do not match, the cruise lines are free to impose a requirement for a bridge document that confirms the two documents belong to the same person, and some specify that requirement in their FAQs.

That's one of the reasons why I haven't expressed an opinion of whether or not there would be a problem, OP is sailing on Princess and I have no experience with their rules.

You also have to consider the requirements of the other countries the ship is stopping in. The cruise line needs to make sure anyone boarding has the ID required by any foreign country the ship is visiting. I don't know of any which is going to allow mismatched ID's.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

We've never shown birth certificates in port, only photo ID's and cabin cards sp tje foreign country wouldn't know of the name mismatch.

That's one of the reasons why I haven't expressed an opinion of whether or not there would be a problem, OP is sailing on Princess and I have no experience with their rules.

We've never shown birth certificates in port, only photo ID's and cabin cards sp tje foreign country wouldn't know of the name mismatch.

That's because the countries task the cruise line with making sure all passengers have the documents required by that country and they are in order. Do you really think there is actually an open border into the countries a cruise ship ports at?

Well, IMHO -- if you have to go through all that aggravation, your state might as well go ahead and issue you something that you could do some limited travel with. :cool:

Of course, even enhanced DL's (like Passport Cards) don't do you any good, if you are doing international travel by air. :rolleyes:

I have a passport, why should I need anything else to travel?

Florida is following the new Federal,law, just like all other states are. I suspect you might be in for an eye opener the next time you renew your DL.

Florida is following the new Federal,law, just like all other states are. I suspect you might be in for an eye opener the next time you renew your DL.

I renewed my license this summer in Massachusetts and all I needed was my application, check and my renewed license issued. Every other time we renew, we have the option to do it on line or to go to a Registry. This time I went and did it in person, had eye test and new photo taken and that was all required.

No one asked to see my passport or birth certificate or anything else.

Utah has gone to the extra documentation route also for the basic DL. I always read the DMV site before I go in to be sure I'm up to date on what goes on. So, I saw that I needed for renewal: proof of identity (passport, original birth certificate, permanent resident card, naturalization certificate), proof of social security (actual card, W-2, tax return), and proof of residency (bank statement, utility bill, school transcript). You needed one of each. Saw lots of people getting turned away at the DMV for not having all the documentation :(

I renewed my license this summer in Massachusetts and all I needed was my application, check and my renewed license issued. Every other time we renew, we have the option to do it on line or to go to a Registry. This time I went and did it in person, had eye test and new photo taken and that was all required.

No one asked to see my passport or birth certificate or anything else.

Makes sense. You are not being issued a new DL or changing anything. You are merely extending the expiration date of your old one.

Makes sense. You are not being issued a new DL or changing anything. You are merely extending the expiration date of your old one.

No...it just sounds like MA hasn't adopted the new standards yet. In states that have you're required to present substantial additional documentation.

Note: Because the implementation of the federal law has been postponed several times, not all states are following it yet. In addition for drivers above a certain age (it may be 65, I don't recall the exact age) there was an additional extension granted. This year I was able to renew by mail in NJ even though four years ago I had to appear at a DMV office with all the additional documentation. The reason given was the postponement for senior citizens.

Princess does require a bridge document. That information was provided in post #42.

Thank you for all your helpful tips and advice. He has always gone by his mothers married name (not on his birth cert) and his SS is also under his mothers maiden name. My assumption is that's how. His mother passed away when he was in his early teens so he never knew it would be an issue since he doesn't travel outside the US much. Thanks again.

Thank you for all your helpful tips and advice. He has always gone by his mothers married name (not on his birth cert) and his SS is also under his mothers maiden name. My assumption is that's how. His mother passed away when he was in his early teens so he never knew it would be an issue since he doesn't travel outside the US much. Thanks again.

Thanks for coming back, meloni. So what will he do? Are you going to try to board without any further action?

I had a nightmare of a time once when my friends CREDIT CARD didn't match her ID and they didn't want to let us board. Credit card was firstname, maiden name, while ID had firstname, maiden name, married name. As it was, she couldn't open a line of credit on her card and all her cruise charges were posted on my card and we had to figure it out later. I wouldn't mess with anything with different names.

Meloni,

Was your BF ever legally adopted by his stepdad? If so, copies of that information would be helpful. Or, a copy of the marriage license when his Mom married his stepdad could prove useful showing the same two last names as on his documents. If that happened in CA he should be able to get a copy before you sail.

Princess does NOT state in their Travel Documentation page that bridge documents are required (despite what somebody posted earlier in bold; it was not copied from the Princess page). And from personal knowledge, I know many women who have cruised on Princess with a maiden name BC and a married name Driver License. No bridge document was asked for. Your BF should fall under the same category, although he may be asked about the name change, and he should simply state that he was adopted by his stepdad when his mother married. You likely will have no problems on boarding unless flags are raised. So any legal docs your BF has that prove he was John Smith and now is John Jones would be good to take with you.

Then, after the cruise, your BF needs to get his legal documents squared away. IF he was never legally adopted, then he needs to legally change his name to what he uses. Then update his Social Security card to reflect his name. And any other important documents he may have; deeds, pink slips, etc. This will only get more complicated as he goes on with life. Best to take care of the details now.

Meloni,

Was your BF ever legally adopted by his stepdad? If so, copies of that information would be helpful. Or, a copy of the marriage license when his Mom married his stepdad could prove useful showing the same two last names as on his documents. If that happened in CA he should be able to get a copy before you sail.

Princess does NOT state in their Travel Documentation page that bridge documents are required (despite what somebody posted earlier in bold; it was not copied from the Princess page). And from personal knowledge, I know many women who have cruised on Princess with a maiden name BC and a married name Driver License. No bridge document was asked for. Your BF should fall under the same category, although he may be asked about the name change, and he should simply state that he was adopted by his stepdad when his mother married. You likely will have no problems on boarding unless flags are raised. So any legal docs your BF has that prove he was John Smith and now is John Jones would be good to take with you.

Then, after the cruise, your BF needs to get his legal documents squared away. IF he was never legally adopted, then he needs to legally change his name to what he uses. Then update his Social Security card to reflect his name. And any other important documents he may have; deeds, pink slips, etc. This will only get more complicated as he goes on with life. Best to take care of the details now.

I'm sorry but you're wrong. Here's the website:

https://book.princess.com/html/cp/passport_generic_pop.html

And here's the information the previous poster copied:

c) U.S. citizens traveling on U.S. roundtrip or “closed-loop” voyages may also travel with an original certified Birth Certificate presented together with valid government-issued photo identification. In the event the names on these documents do not match due to a name change, please ensure to present appropriate legal documentation to support the name change. In this case, the name on the booking should match the name on the valid government-issued photo identification.

U.S. domestic roundtrip sailings must embark and disembark in the same U.S. port. These voyages include:

Alaska roundtrip from San Francisco or Seattle (roundtrip Seattle Cruisetours excluded)

Canada/New England roundtrip from New York

Caribbean roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale, New York or San Juan

Hawaii roundtrip from Los Angeles

Mexico roundtrip from Los Angeles or San Francisco

Panama Canal roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale or Los Angeles

Please be aware that even if your cruise does not require a passport to sail, in the event of an emergency should you be required to unexpectedly depart a vessel prior to the end of the cruise, a passport would be required to disembark the ship in a foreign country and re-enter the U.S. by air. We therefore strongly recommend that all passengers are in possession of a valid passport.

Please listen to what others are saying and have your boyfriend get the required documentation so you're not stuck watching the boat sail away.

Hamgela, thank you for posting that link. I still cannot find it directly from the Princess website, so I thank you for the direct link. I found this page on Travel Documentation, which is what I was referring to.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

The above page does NOT have the requirement of bridging docs. And this will not be the first time that Princess webpages contradict each other on the matter of passport rules, either.:rolleyes:

I agree that haveing matching or bridge docs are better than not. But I also know that they are not 100% asked for or required. More like less than 10%.

ETA-Hamgela. Just noticed that is a book.princess link, which is the OneSource page for Travel Agents booking, right? Not available to general public and not the princess.com website.

Edited by cherylandtk

I agree that haveing matching or bridge docs are better than not. But I also know that they are not 100% asked for or required. More like less than 10%.

This might sound a bit sexist, however, I think that perhaps a male passenger with documents under differing surnames might have a greater chance of being asked for bridging documents more often than a female, just because it is more common for women to have documents under married/maiden names.

FYI, I was asked for bridge document on a Princess cruise in 2010. I had my passport, under maiden name, and cruise docs under married. I know different scenario, However they did ask.

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

Saluki, I agree with all you have said. But I hope the OP does not just give up and not try to go on the cruise just because the names are different. The odds of making it on the ship are better than not with just what he has now. Too many people on this thread have implied it is not even possible. It is possible, even legal, with what the BF has now. Can I (or anyone) guarantee it? Nope. But neither can anyone guarantee he won't. BF cannot get a CA DL changed in two weeks, but he can try for some bridging documents in that time, which should help.

Hamgela, thank you for posting that link. I still cannot find it directly from the Princess website, so I thank you for the direct link. I found this page on Travel Documentation, which is what I was referring to.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

The above page does NOT have the requirement of bridging docs. And this will not be the first time that Princess webpages contradict each other on the matter of passport rules, either.:rolleyes:

ETA-Hamgela. Just noticed that is a book.princess link, which is the OneSource page for Travel Agents booking, right? Not available to general public and not the princess.com website.

I found it by googling. I'm not sure other than the site said it was for princess cruises.

Also, I disagree that they're not 100% required. We cruised on RCCL with MIL in December of 2011. She had her BC and Drivers license but didn't have her marriage certificate. She's been married for 40+ years. They wouldn't let her board the boat without bridging docs. She explained she had previously cruised in October and no one required bridging docs. RCCL staff insisted she could not board without them because they were required. We had managers involved, etc. Fortunately FIL was still at home (because he wasn't coming with us) and he was able to fax a copy of their marriage license. They let us board the boat once they received the fax. I just think they're better safe than sorry.

I agree with better safe than sorry, but I would also point out that RCCL is a different cruise line and they do require bridging documents. It would be unfair to say that Princess requirements and RCCL requirements are the same, however.

I'm not indicating they require them, the site I posted is indicating that.

Regardless, to the OP i hope you and your bf are able to cruise and enjoy yourselves. Good luck. :)

Good question. How did he get a Driver's license?

I agree he should have his ID's straightened out and get a passport ASAP.

Hope he has no problem boarding or returning home and you have a great cruise.

NOT difficult at all. My own drivers license has always had my nickname (which is DEFINITELY NOT on my BC or passport) on it UNTIL Arizona started checking SS numbers against DL numbers. I had to produce my passport AND marriage license to get a new DL which does NOT have my nickname on it.

I guess the first DL I had with my nickname on it was probably issued 40 or so years ago when I was in college. They didn't ask for hardly anything way back then other than the first license you got and that was more to prove you were 16 than anything else. And on renewals, they just took your old DL and issued you a new one after you passed whatever test they may have required.

When Arizona started checking SS against DL numbers, 1-my nickname is obviously NOT my legal name 2-I have used my husbands name or a combination of my husband's last name and my maiden name depending on the circumstance. Passport-maiden name, tax filings-maiden name, our house title and a joint household checking account with my husband's last name and my maiden name. Our farm-husband's last name. Warehouse in Arizona-my maiden name. So my DL was always in nickname/maiden name UNTIL they checked SS number. Now it is legal name/maiden name/husband's last name. And STILL doesn't match my passport.

Not very different than our former first lady-Hillary Rodham, then Hillary Rodham Clinton and finally Hillary Clinton.

Edited by greatam

To the OP

Take the birth certificate and go get a state issued ID card. DO NOT try to change his DL at the last minute. It will take a court order, answering a lot of questions, SS card change, etc. etc. A BIG hassle-see my previous post.

But a state issued ID with birth certificate-EASY. And the only way to insure both ID and birth certificate match.